does the chrome plugin work with canary ?

I'm having trouble getting the plugin to work with Chrome Canary Version 80.0.3984.0 (Official Build) canary (64-bit) (latest). It installs and functions correctly with regular Chrome (i.e. Version 78.0.3904.108 (Official Build) (64-bit) (latest)). However, with Canary it always says it cannot find or connect to the 1Password app although it is certainly installed and running.

Have you guys tested with Canary and could you please do so going forward ? I run two versions of Chrome normally and need 1Password to work correctly with both of them to be useful at all.

This is with 4.7.5.90 extension. Is there a beta I could try that works in Canary?

Thanks!

1Password Version: 7.4
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: MacOs 10.15
Sync Type: no
Referrer: forum-search:chrome plugin doesn't work with canary ?

Comments

• upcountry
    upcountry
    Community Member

ps. I did try the suggestion of uninstalling and reinstalling the plugin and restarting the machine ~ to no avail.

• @upcountry

For Canary you may have better luck with the 1Password X extension (stable or beta). If you are interested in integration with 1Password for Mac, you'd need both the 1Password 7 for Mac beta as well as the 1Password X beta. Further details can be found here:

https://support.1password.com/getting-started-1password-x/#to-integrate-with-1password-for-mac

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• upcountry
    upcountry
    Community Member

OK thanks ~ the X plugin does install and sorta functions but has yet to fill in any passwords automatically. What is the 'X' component as opposed to just the regular plugin ? The next gen product branch ? And so I must use the beta app and the beta X plugin in order for it to "integrate" ? Does that mean save in the local app vault ? This is getting more complex and less transparent than I had hoped. The only actual problem I was trying to solve was moving all of my saved Chrome browser passwords to a new mbp installation. Now I've got a cleartext csv and all these questions!

• upcountry
    upcountry
    Community Member

So I'm basically having no luck with this at all. I've installed the 1Password X beta plugin and beta 7.4.2 app and I can't get it to save and autofill a basic login password for amazon typed into Chrome. Really all I wanted to do was to import my previous chrome saved passwords to a new config. I thought this would be a better solution going forward but nothing has worked. Also, how do I view any passwords saved in 1Password in cleartext ? If I understand 1Password X is a separate browser-based vault ? It seems it is not 'integrating' with the 'app' at all ~ the amazon entry saved in the browser extension is not showing up in the app. And, every time I command-option-\ to open the "mini" app or click on the menubar icon it shows me an advertisement to install the Chrome extension, despite the X extension being installed. The thing about idiot proof systems is that they keep making more clever idiots. So, please tell me what I must be doing wrong.

• upcountry
    upcountry
    Community Member

Currently it is funcitoning like the cone of silence...

• upcountry
    upcountry
    Community Member

1Password X beta 1.17.6 "unable to establish connection with desktop app" in preferences/integration. Chrome Canary 80.0.3984.0 (latest)

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@upcountry – Thanks for sharing your experience with us. I'm happy to answer any and all of the questions you have about 1Password X. :)

What is the 'X' component as opposed to just the regular plugin ? The next gen product branch ?

1Password X is our newest extension. It was originally created for Linux users who don't have the option for a 1Password desktop app, but it's evolved into something much more than that. One of 1Password's founders wrote a compelling blog post about 1Password X that should answer your question in a few different ways.

And so I must use the beta app and the beta X plugin in order for it to "integrate" ? Does that mean save in the local app vault ?

1Password X was originally developed as an app baked into an extension. That means it doesn't need a desktop app to function. We realize there are times when it's more convenient to have 1Password X and the 1Password desktop app communicate (like sharing a lock/unlock state), so we began developing Desktop App Integration. The feature is currently only available on macOS with the 1Password for Mac and 1Password X betas installed.

You mentioned needing to import items from Chrome's password manager, so I wanted to make sure you were aware of our support article all about importing data into 1Password. You can view the instructions for importing from Chrome here.

how do I view any passwords saved in 1Password in cleartext ?

Are you wanting to export your data from 1Password or are you wanting to reveal your password in the 1Password X pop-up? These come with completely separate instructions, so I'll wait to hear back from you.

If I understand 1Password X is a separate browser-based vault ?

1Password X operates off of your 1Password.com account. You can access vaults within your account on any device that's signed into the same 1Password account.

It seems it is not 'integrating' with the 'app' at all ~ the amazon entry saved in the browser extension is not showing up in the app.

Integrating and syncing are very different beasts. Your 1Password account should always sync with other 1Password apps as long as the account is signed in. We refer to integrating as the ability for 1Password X and 1Password for Mac to talk to each other. To us, that means sharing the lock/unlock state, editing items from 1Password X directly inside 1Password for Mac, etc. Syncing, however, should happen automatically. Can you confirm that you're signed into your 1Password account in the 1Password desktop app?

And, every time I command-option-\ to open the "mini" app or click on the menubar icon it shows me an advertisement to install the Chrome extension, despite the X extension being installed.

That's the shortcut you likely used with our desktop-dependent 1Password extension, which is separate from 1Password X. To view the 1Password X pop-up, you can use the keyboard shortcut Command-Shift-X or click the 1Password icon in your browser toolbar.

1Password X beta 1.17.6 "unable to establish connection with desktop app" in preferences/integration. Chrome Canary 80.0.3984.0 (latest)

Please gives the steps in this support article a try in order to use Desktop App Integration with Chrome Canary.

If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask! We should be able to get you up and running with Desktop App Integration after you follow the steps I suggested. If you're still having trouble after that, let me know and we'll continue to troubleshoot together.

• upcountry
    upcountry
    Community Member

OK thanks for this detailed response. I'll look at the support article you cite. Really I don't want most of these features. I want a simple clean small and unobtrusive extension that is not much different than what Chrome itself provides for filling fields but that saves the data locally on the Mac and does not share it or sync it anywhere else. Too many creeping features in this product.

• Thanks for the feedback @upcountry. Best of luck in finding a solution that best fits your needs. If in the future you decide to reconsider 1Password and we can be of any assistance please let us know.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.