Minor feature tweaks

crc32
crc32
Community Member

So I'm not sure where this should be put, so I'll put it in the lounge.

I've been using 1Password for just over 10 years. Love it.

Recently, I've been working to change all my passwords over to a series of words framework, but I find that 1Password does not provide enough options in it's autogeneration. Because so many websites still require that passwords meet legacy criteria (at least one capital, one lowercase, one number, etc), I find that I have to do manual tweaking of the generated passwords. While this is no issue when i'm on desktop, on iOS it can be difficult. Would there be a way to specify the following in the recipe:

• Capitalize Words
  • Include numbers
  • pick from a few patterns, like Word_Word_####, Word_####_Word, etc.

Second, in some instances I have multiple different logins associated with subdomains (like naw1.posios.com and nae1.posios.com). However, when going to the insert screen, the logical one is not at the top (looks to be alphabetical, so in the above case, nae1.posios.com always comes up first, even if I'm trying to use naw1.posios.com). However it would be better if the specific full address was at the top of the list.

1Password Version: 7.4.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.6
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@crc32: Thanks for getting in touch, and for the kind words! :chuffed:

I've been working to change all my passwords over to a series of words framework

Don't. As you mentioned, you'll run into issues with that because of some websites' antiquated "password requirements". But it's also worth mentioning that in many cases you're limited to a certain number of characters, and it will be both harder to happen to generate a word-based password that fits perfectly, but also a random character-based password will always be stronger than a word-based password of the same length. There just inherently more entropy there. As a result, word-based passwords can be useful, but are only only appropriate in cases where it is necessary to remember anything type them -- and presumably that is not the case for 99% of your passwords since you're using 1Password to save and fill them, right? "There's an app for that", as they say. ;)

We will continue to make some tweaks to the password generator, and some of those may satisfy parts of your request, but fundamentally this is a "square peg, round hole" situation where you're trying to use word-based passwords in cases where they are not a good fit.

Second, in some instances I have multiple different logins associated with subdomains (like naw1.posios.com and nae1.posios.com). However, when going to the insert screen, the logical one is not at the top (looks to be alphabetical, so in the above case, nae1.posios.com always comes up first, even if I'm trying to use naw1.posios.com). However it would be better if the specific full address was at the top of the list.

I'm not sure what you're referring to here. Can you be more specific? I don' know what you mean by "insert screen". And it sounds like you may be referring to iOS, in which case it's expected that matching Logins will be listed alphabetically since detailed information about each is not readily viewable. You seem to be describing the way the 1Password desktop extension works though. Anyway, let me know.

• crc32
    crc32
    Community Member

Your point about security is well taken. The reason I've been switching passwords to a words-based framework is because I've run into several instances where I need to communicate them by voice, specifically to "she who must be obeyed," and she really doesn't like the random passwords. :| But, with this, perhaps I can get a cease-fire on that argument for now.

Regarding the second point, see the attached image. I've noticed this behavior in both iOS and on the desktop. It's just a minor annoyance, but it does sometimes cause me to have to slow down when trying to log into different services. I have to switch services several times a day. I understand the iOS limitations.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@crc32: Touché. :) It's definitely worth evaluating on a case-by-case basis. For some, it may make sense to use a word-based password, if you have to read it aloud. But in many cases I suspect that having to comply with "password requirements" may outweigh the need to read it occasionally.

Regarding the URL matching issue, do you have only a single URL saved in each Login item? And, either way, would you be able to share the full URLs used in both so I can test them here? If you prefer, you can send any information via email to support+forum@1password.com and I'll be happy to look into it.

• vplewis
    vplewis
    Community Member

@crc32 Nice Rumpole reference.

• ;) :+1:

Ben

• crc32
    crc32
    Community Member

Yes, there is only one URL saved for each. They are:
    a: https://nae1-web.posios.com
    b: https://naw1-web.posios.com

Do you want login credentials to test?

• Not necessary. I see what you mean. At this time, I don't believe there is a way to make them appear in a more optimal order, but I'll chat with our development team and see if there are improvements we can consider for the future.

Ben

• crc32
    crc32
    Community Member

Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Likewise, thanks for bringing it up. :) :+1:

• Jocke76
    Jocke76
    Community Member

About the second point:
    I have the same issue and I know for sure that this has worked before. So something has changed.
    In 6.x I'm 100 % sure it worked but I've used 7.x and I'm 99% sure it worked before 7.4.1 (which I'm using now) but I'm not sure what version I used before. I updated to 7.4.1 a week, or two, ago. So maybe you can see in any logs which version I've been using?

This is a big issue for me since I have about 60 different sites under the same domain and now I have to search instead of just relying on 1password to give me the correct login.

• In 6.x I'm 100 % sure it worked

v6 was a totally different animal. mini and the extensions have essentially been completely re-written since then. So, it isn't at all surprising that things work differently in v7 than they did in v6.

but I've used 7.x and I'm 99% sure it worked before 7.4.1 (which I'm using now) but I'm not sure what version I used before. I updated to 7.4.1 a week, or two, ago

Hmm. Interesting. I'll see if we can get it added to QA's to-do list to go back a couple of versions and see if we can confirm if the behavior has changed. Thanks for the tip. :)

So maybe you can see in any logs which version I've been using?

We don't have those sorts of logs. Privacy is one of the cornerstones of our business, so we don't really include any analytics in our apps.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.