Want to dismiss "Reused Password" alert on a case by case basis

billj
billj
Community Member
edited November 2019 in Mac

Sometimes I want to "reuse" a password, and in those instances, would like to make the big, red "Reused Password" alert to go away. One example: I have two software records: one for the 2019 version of an application and one for the 2020 version of the application. This application makes me password-protect my data file, so I add the data file password to a new field in each record. I prefer using a data type of "password" for the field because it's much more readable than data type "text." Since both releases access the same data file, I enter the same password on both records. And, very diligently, 1Password flags this with a big, red "reused password" banner. Which, in this case and others like it, is visually jarring and an unnecessary consumption of screen real estate.

It would be so nice to be able to tell 1Password to ignore a "reused password" on a case by case basis. Could you do something like add an "Ignore" menu item to the bottom of the "x other item(s)" pop-up menu, preceded by a separator? And if this seems too dangerous, have a checkbox in Preferences > Advanced to allow the "Ignore" item to show up? (Similar idea to Safari's "Show developer menu in menu bar" checkbox in Advanced Preferences.)

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.4.1 (70401002)
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: 10.14.6
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @billj!

Thank you very much for taking time out of your day to to share this feedback! We appreciate every idea that could make 1Password even better.

I can see how this could be useful to you, so while I cannot make any promises, I can tell you that I have shared your feedback internally :)

Once again, thank you and have a wonderful day!

• longmanc
    longmanc
    Community Member

I'd like to vote to expand this to any of the warnings that 1Password provides. For example, Watchtower may tell me that I have a vulnerable, weak, unsecured or not enabled two-factor authentication login which are great warnings but it would be nice to be able to turn them off on a case by case basis. The login may be for an internal site that where vulnerability or weak passwords are not as much of a concern or could even be for a public site where the password may appear to be weak but is not or where two-factor authentication can't be enabled as it doesn't support SMS messages to the country your phone is in. Thanks!

• @longmanc

The login may be for an internal site that where vulnerability or weak passwords are not as much of a concern or could even be for a public site where the password may appear to be weak but is not

I'd argue that it is a good habit to get into to use strong unique passwords even in such circumstances. :) Thanks for taking the time to share your perspective. We'll take that into consideration as we iterate on what we've built.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.