Prepping a machine for family member?

Options
williakz
williakz
Community Member
edited December 2019 in Families

I've got a MacBook Pro that I'm configuring to send to an elderly relative who'll then become a member of my 1Password 7 Family. The machine is currently configured for my use with latest (non-beta) 1P7 Mac and 1PX extensions on Chrome and Firefox. As I (along with most users) don't do a whole lot of account-level configuration, I'm at a loss as to whether and how to pare back my existing and fully functional 1P installation on the MBP and instead "pre-installing" only and just what's needed for my relative to configure, personalize, and fire up 1P7 in "Family" mode. I'm concerned that deleting my account from the MBP machine could affect my installations and data on other machines and on the 1P servers.

Can you guide me through this process or direct me toward materials that discuss how I should proceed? Thanks in advance for any and all responses (fellow 1P7 Membership users also welcome to comment).

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm concerned that deleting my account from the MBP machine could affect my installations and data on other machines and on the 1P servers.

If you remove your existing 1Password account from the 1Password app on this device, your data won't be touched on your other devices. You can simply remove it under 1Password Preferences > Accounts tab, and clicking on the little "-" button there ;)

• williakz
    williakz
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @ag_ana. The display show the Family Name in the left hand column and my account in the info section on the right. The "-" you refer to is the one paired with the "+" at the bottom of the left hand column, correct?

Where will that leave things on the MBP? Will the 1PX Chrome/Firefox browser extensions (NOT the "desktop app required" ones) and/or the Safari extension still point to my account? Will my relative have to (re-)install everything from scratch? I'm trying to make things as simple as possible for them once the machine arrives (PC user converting to Mac). Does it make sense for me to set up their 1P7 account fully and integrate it with the browsers, then have them simply generate a new Master Password/Secret Key, etc. once the MBP is on site? Thanks again for the TLC.

• williakz
    williakz
    Community Member
    edited December 2019
    Options

Oops!...never mind.

I forgot that Catalina won't run 32-bit software (whereas Mojave simply complained about it) so my old MS Office won't run and I don't want to burden my relative with having to buy 64-bit MS Office just to give the tires a kick on a Mac. So I'm going back to High Sierra on the test bed and, as that will require a disk reformat, the issue of just where to leave my 1Password configuration on that machine is now moot.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Understood, thank you for the update :+1:

This discussion has been closed.