Search does not find text in 'Notes' section

Options
PaulP1
PaulP1
Community Member

I remember that a few months ago there was a switch in 1Password where I could tell it to search all the fields of a record and not just the title. I now can't find that switch in Preferences and when I search for text that is in the 'Notes' section of an entry, I get zero results.

1Password Version: 7.3.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS Catalina
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:search notes

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@PaulP1 - you can find what you're looking for in our Search instructions. Essentially, switch from the default "Major Fields" to "All Fields." Hope that helps. :)

• PaulP1
    PaulP1
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On behalf of Lars, you are welcome! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:) :+1:

• PaulP1
    PaulP1
    Community Member
    edited December 2019
    Options

Sorry, but I'm back with the same question. If I open the full 1Password app then I can do as Lars said above and click on the magnifying glass and choose "Search All Fields", then I can do a search of all fields - great but this only works while I'm in the full 1Password app, which I hardly ever am. I'm typically in a web browser and looking for an entry in 1Password so I can go to the relevant web site and get 1Password to enter the userid and password for me. I can either click on the 1Password icon on the macOS menu bar or press 'command + \' and I get a 1Password mini window (but not the full 1Password app) and here there is no magnifying glass in the search area for me to change how the search will operate and, even though I have previously set "Search All Fields" in the main app, my search now reverts to the limited search and I can't find entries by looking for words in the 'notes' sections of the entries. Am I missing something simple here?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@PaulP1: searching in all fields is currently only available in the main 1Password app, not in 1Password mini or the browser extension.

However, I would like to ask you some questions about your use case, to see if perhaps there is something we can suggest: can you please let us know what type of information you are searching within the browser extension? The browser extension is used to fill information on a webpage, so searching for login items and websites (some of the main fields) is normally all that is necessary while you are there. For anything else, you can use the desktop app.

Basically, the extensions searches the main fields by default. Is there some specific information that you are looking for? If you could give us some specific examples, we can try to suggest an alternative, if possible.

• PaulP1
    PaulP1
    Community Member
    Options

When I'm in a browser (I use both Safari and Firefox) I use 1Password as a de facto bookmark system as I thought it could provide me more than the simple bookmarks that the browsers themselves give me. My memory, like most people my age, isn't as good as it used to be so there will be times when I won't remember a website's name nor URL. I put some descriptive text into the "Notes" field of the 1Password entry, e.g. "forum", "fora", "forums" or just "helpdesk". Then, months later, when I want to see or search for some help on an issue that I have, I go to 1Password and enter what I think that I might have put into the notes field. I guess "forum" and enter it into the search field and I expect to see all the entries that have the word "forum" in them. I then get a list of entries with websites that I can choose from and when I click on the URL, 1Password takes me to the website and also enters the userid and password for me. I don't use the browser bookmarks because I end up with hundreds of lines of URLs that don't mean anything to me on their own. Having the ability to search for keywords makes it useful.

I realise that I could use tags instead of the notes field but I'm more comfortable entering some text that I can search for. And, 1Password mini and browser extensions don't search the tags either.

If the ability to search all fields was to be incorporated into 1Password mini and browser extension, could the setting where we could specify how we wanted it to behave be in the "Properties" section? That's the first place I go to if something doesn't behave the way I want and I think that there may be a way to change that behaviour. Having a drop down on the magnifying glass isn't intuitive for me - for others maybe so leave it there but can we also have it in the "Properties" section?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@PaulP1: I do that too. "Search All Fields" helps. I hate when past me didn't use sensible keywords though. Not sure there's a technological solution to that -- short of cybernetics. :lol: Anyway, thanks for your feedback on this. 1Password's search options have been there for about a decade, so moving it might be weird, but it's something we can evaluate with feedback from everyone else. :)

• PaulP1
    PaulP1
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, I have a similar problem with past me as well. Cybernetics sounds good. Bring it on.

Can I offer another argument? As it is now, when I'm in a browser, I have three 1Password icons on my screen: one in the menu bar, one in the browser's tool bar and one in the dock. The icons all look identical and the windows that open when I click on them also look very similar so it can be confusing as to which one I'm actually in, but they don't behave the same way. As far as I can tell, the one in the menu bar is 1Password mini and the one on the browser's tool bar is the browser extension and I think these behave the same way in that the search is always limited to key fields and clicking on a URL in an entry opens that web page in the browser that's currently open. However, the icon in the dock is the full 1Password app and here I have the ability to change the search process to scan all fields but when I click on a URL, instead of opening the web page in the currently open browser, it opens the default browser which may not be where I want to be. And I haven't mentioned the fourth 1Password icon that I used to have but have since deleted because it was really out there and nothing like 1Password: 1Password X. So there can be four ways to access 1Password but you shouldn't expect things to work the same way in each one. My argument is that, as an end-user, I think that I should be able to expect that.

1Password, as the name implies, means that I only need to remember one password but it would be nice if I could also get one user experience as well. Not just having the interfaces looking similarly but actually functioning in a similar way, e.g. if I make a properties change in one, it should be reflected in the others so I don't have to think, "Now which flavour of 1Password am in right now?" My poor brain needs some consistency to function smoothly.

Anyway, I'd be lost without 1Password, so thanks for a great product. I'm just asking for some consistency.

Cheers,
    Paul

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@PaulP1: You raise some interesting points that make me think. To clarify, 1Password mini is opened when you click the menu bar icon, browser toolbar icon, or press ⌘ ⌥ \.

Anyway, I don't disagree with you in principle about consistency, but in practice the reality is that most users do not want to deal with the full 1Password experience most of the time -- especially in the browser. Actually, many people use 1Password almost exclusively in their browser, so in version 7.0 we made mini much more like the main 1Password app window. It actually looked mostly like the main app only smaller. That was not met with enthusiasm, to put it mildly. Due to feedback, we dialed that back in 7.3. So now it is a more simplified UI for quickly getting what you need. Hence no sidebar, advanced search options, etc.: the main 1Password app window has that, and mini fills a different niche in people's workflows. If you need the main 1Password window, you can open that any time. Most of the time though, it is not needed; hence mini.

Similarly, 1Password X is designed first and foremost as a completely self-contained extension so folks who can't or don't need to use the app can still use 1Password in their browser. "Consistency" is a good thing generally, and something we strive for; but taken to it's legal conclusion, you end up with 1Password for iOS not having Face ID because that isn't available elsewhere. Obviously that's silly. But I mention it to illustrate why we have different tools for different jobs.

I was using the end of a stubby screwdriver the other night for want of a hammer. True story; stores were closed. A screwdriver is a useful tool, but believe me when I tell you it is no hammer. And when a hammer is what is needed, there really is no substitute. I think caveman technology was further ahead of where I was at that moment.

So, ultimately, I'd say using the main 1Password app when what you need is advanced search is probably a good idea since it's built with that use case in mind, and it sounds like it's right in your Dock anyway. Food for thought.

Also, I bought a hammer, so at least I don't have to go through that again. Cheers! :lol:

• PaulP1
    PaulP1
    Community Member
    edited December 2019
    Options

Thanks for that explanation, Brenty. Of course, what you say makes sense and I will now be opening the full app when I need to do a search that includes all fields.

A question on your clarification: I have been pressing ⌘ \ when I need to fill in a userid and password. I haven't seen ⌘ ⌥ \ before. Is it different?

And congratulations on your new purchase.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@PaulP1:

They are different: one fills your login when you are on a webpage, while the other shows 1Password Mini. But if you are not on a website, they both behave the same, they change just when you are inside a browser ;)

• PaulP1
    PaulP1
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@PaulP1 - :) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.