Failed to load metadata ... - from Dropbox folder

Hello

**Version 3.8.10 (build 31186)

I just got a new MacBookAir and installed 1Password on Lion (I ran with Snow Leopard previously if that matters). Under Console, I noticed a flood of errors alongside the below mentioned:

10/28/11 11:38:44.437 PM 1Password: Failed to load metadata file://localhost/Users/(computer name)/Dropbox/1Password.agilekeychain/a/default/thumb/s/130A04276918AC7FEB0A56BB622ED3C9.def: Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=260 "The file “130A04276918AC7FEB0A56BB622ED3C9.def” couldn’t be opened because there is no such file." UserInfo=0x109e42410 {NSFilePath=/Users/(computer name)/Dropbox/1Password.agilekeychain/a/default/thumb/s/130A04276918AC7FEB0A56BB622ED3C9.def, NSUnderlyingError=0x1018f2770 "The operation couldn’t be completed. No such file or directory"}

I've tried rebuilding the dataset but the console message persists. Is this something that I need to be concerned about at all? I'm seeing that the thumbnails are showing fine on both my Mac and Windows 1Password installs.

Thanks!

**Also...is there any reason why I should upgrade from my current 1Password to 3.9??

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2011
    To help us track down the issue more quickly, could you please email us your Diagnostics Report? To generate the report from 1Password on your Mac, open 1Password and select Help > Troubleshooting > Diagnostics Report. Then attach the entire file to an email to support@agilebits.com.

Please include a link to this thread in order that we might more quickly "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, though.

is there any reason why I should upgrade from my current 1Password to 3.9??

It comes with a free upgrade to 1Password 4. Otherwise, there is no hurry. 3.8 and 3.9 are being developed in parallel.
  • MichaelL
    MichaelL
    Community Member
    edited November 2011

Hello

**Version 3.8.10 (build 31186)

I just got a new MacBookAir and installed 1Password on Lion (I ran with Snow Leopard previously if that matters). Under Console, I noticed a flood of errors alongside the below mentioned:

10/28/11 11:38:44.437 PM 1Password: Failed to load metadata file://localhost/Users/(computer name)/Dropbox/1Password.agilekeychain/a/default/thumb/s/130A04276918AC7FEB0A56BB622ED3C9.def: Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=260 "The file “130A04276918AC7FEB0A56BB622ED3C9.def” couldn’t be opened because there is no such file." UserInfo=0x109e42410 {NSFilePath=/Users/(computer name)/Dropbox/1Password.agilekeychain/a/default/thumb/s/130A04276918AC7FEB0A56BB622ED3C9.def, NSUnderlyingError=0x1018f2770 "The operation couldn’t be completed. No such file or directory"}

I've tried rebuilding the dataset but the console message persists. Is this something that I need to be concerned about at all? I'm seeing that the thumbnails are showing fine on both my Mac and Windows 1Password installs.

Thanks!

**Also...is there any reason why I should upgrade from my current 1Password to 3.9??

I feel/felt your pain. My 06 Macbook Pro HD died. I bought a new Macbook Pro last week and when I tried to restore my agile keychain from Dropbox I found almost half my passwords and logins missing. And it wasn't that it wasn't backing up to drop box. The date was current and PWs saved only weeks before where there while some that were over a year old were missing. So I now know you can not trust that things are backing up completely. And to make matters worse Agile has not updated their FAQ on backing up for 10.7. It still refers to ~Library. Since I didn't have Lion for the very brief upgrade price I guess I'll wait to see what version 4 is like before I throw anymore money at this.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Hi Michael,

I'm sorry that you also had some trouble. I wonder if Dropbox synced corrupt data from your dying hard drive. That is one possible explanation for what you experienced. We do strongly recommend that you backup your hard drive using an incremental solution like Time Machine, a bootable backup solution like SuperDuper, or ideally a combination of both. All hard drives will die, so it is not a question of "if" but "when".

I'll see if we can update the information here to also include details about the ~/Library/Containers/ folders that 1Password 3.9 uses. 1Password 3.8 still uses ~/Library/Application Support/ but both are located in your ~/Library/ folder which is inside your Home folder. You Home folder is backed up by default by every backup solution I can think of offhand, so unless you explicitly exclude some folders from your backup solution(s), your 1Password data (and its own local backups) should be backed up.

If you are using 1Password 3.9, 1Password 4 will be a free upgrade, so there isn't even an opportunity to spend more money until 1Password 5 comes out, and that could be years away. For comparison, 1Password 3 has been available for over two years (with 54 free updates and counting).

If there is anything I can help with, please let me know.
  • MichaelL
    MichaelL
    Community Member
    edited November 2011
    khad wrote:

I'll see if we can update the information here to also include details about the ~/Library/Containers/ folders that 1Password 3.9 uses. 1Password 3.8 still uses ~/Library/Application Support/ but both are located in your ~/Library/ folder which is inside your Home folder.

I'm new to Lion (but not to Macs) and I'm not seeing a Library folder in the home folder.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Apple has hidden the ~/Library/ folder by default in Lion. It is still present on your system, though. Select the Go menu and in Finder then hold down the Option key on your keyboard to see it in the Go menu.

20111123-f1t4fi7iyr75j8bkkhg1rbcbfr.png
    Alternatively, if you know the exact path to which you wish to navigate, you can use the Go to Folder command. This works for any folder location on your Mac (even hidden ones). To see it in action:

1. In finder, Go > Go to Folder
    2. Copy and paste this path and then press Return:

~/Library/Containers/

• MichaelL
    MichaelL
    Community Member
    khad wrote:

Apple has hidden the ~/Library/ folder by default in Lion. It is still present on your system, though. Select the Go menu and in Finder then hold down the Option key on your keyboard to see it in the Go menu.

1. In finder, Go > Go to Folder
    2. Copy and paste this path and then press Return:

~/Library/Containers/

That is great information. Thanks Khad.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    No problem at all. That's what I'm here for. :D

Have a great Thanksgiving!
This discussion has been closed.