Avoiding need for constant master pswd reentry

Using Firefox 1Pswd extension Win 10 with FFox 'Save Passwords' feature disabled. Is there any way I can avoid having to re-enter my complex 1pswd master password every time I logon to a different website? Really annoyng.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:constant master password reentry

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @tommy1p! I'm sorry for the trouble. Can you provide us a little more information regarding your setup? Are you using 1Password for Windows app and the companion extension for Firefox? Or are you using 1Password X? And what specific version of 1Password extension, of Firefox, and of Windows are you using?

• tommy1p
    tommy1p
    Community Member

Thank you Lars for your quick reply! I am running Win 10 Rel 1903
    I am using
    1PSWD Windows App 7.3.712
    1PSWD X 1.17.0 FFox extension
    Maybe these two don't go together?
    Thanks!
    I have tried for hours to figure out myself how to get rid of this nuisance.

• tommy1p
    tommy1p
    Community Member

Thank you Lars for your quick reply!
    I am running Win 10 Rel 1903 on my desktop.
    I am using the following 1PSWD products:
    1PSWD Windows App Rel 7.3.712 (subscription free trial)
    1PSWD X FFox extension Rel 1.17.0
    I have tried for hours to figure out myself how to get rid of this nuisance, believing that this can't be the only way this product works.

Thanks for your help!

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @tommy1p
    1Password X is a standalone app that works as an extension in your browser. It has its own settings, including an auto-lock timer of its own. You can change it by right clicking the 1Password X icon on the top right side of your browser and selecting "Settings".

I hope that will make your workflow more pleasant, just make sure not to leave 1Password X unlocked for long period of times :)

• tommy1p
    tommy1p
    Community Member

Thank you Yaron. Yep, I think I finally got it last night when I recalled using the similar 'master pswd' feature in Firefox almost two years ago. I decided I didn't like it & gave it up. 1PSWD is similar, but seemingly better with far more features & 'controllability'. I'll stick with it especially for the blanket coverage I've got for my other devices.
    What I recalled was that FFox's master pswd required reentry every time you closed and reopened FFox. If you kept it open with at least one tab, you were ok. Sure enough, if I kept FFox open, pswd reentry was not required for each logon.
    Another big problem I think I had was my lifelong career as a mainframe programmer, and fighting my own conceptions of how the interface should work. It works 'their' way, not 'my' way! Haha!

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @tommy1p
    Indeed, 1Password X will require you to enter your Master Password when you close the browser since it has no way of knowing what happened during the time it was closed. It is very much like the fact that you must unlock 1Password after a restart/shutdown of the computer. We will not risk the security of the user by leaving 1Password unlocked after such big changes :)

However, we are working on integrating 1Password X with the 1Password desktop app, and it is already in advanced beta on Mac OS. Integration between the two will allow 1Password X to remain unlocked for as long as the desktop app is unlocked, even if you close the browser. Hopefully it will reach Windows in the near future as well. Stay tuned.

This discussion has been closed.