Still using the ancient Web Confidential and have been trying to import the data as csv. Disaster!

Options
jasontheparanoid
jasontheparanoid
Community Member

Hi,
I've got Web Confidential groaning with entries and thought it was about time I entered the 21st century with regards to passwords! Bought/downloaded 1password tonight, exported all my WC data as a text file, copied and replaced all tabs as commas, saved as a .csv and tried to import it. Nothing was recognisable, so I opened the .csv file in Numbers, deleted the empty first column and resaved it. Imported to 1P again and it was much, much worse this time - 1000s of entries and incomprehensible garbage with unrecognised fonts.

Does anyone have any idea how I can import my WC data? Been sitting at this stupid machine for hours to no avail. All forum entries are from over 5 years ago and don't help anyway.

thanks

Jason

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:trouble converting from Web Confidential (yes, still using it!)

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

I don't know if anything has changed with regard to exporting, but I note that there's now a new 64-bit version of Web Confidential. Could be worth checking if it works better for you. And you could ask Alco about exporting.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jasontheparanoid: If you're able to get a good export, I'd suggest starting here, so you know how the CSV should be structured:

How to create a 1Password compatible CSV file

It may just be a matter of shifting a few things around. But if it looks to be more involved than that, I'd definitely recommend checking out @MrC ’s converter, as that could help you automate the process of getting the data into a format for easy import into 1Password.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited December 2019
    Options

@jasontheparanoid

I examined Web Confidential version 5's text export. Here's what it looks like:

1. It is not CSV or TSV (tab separated values). It is a simple text dump of each record's Label: Value pairs, with records being separated by a single 0xa character (a newline character), and each Label: Value pair is terminated by a single 0xa character.
    2. The field Labels are non-unique across their different record categories.
    3. There is nothing in the record dump to indicate the original category, and due to (2) above, the original category cannot be determined. The record with the arrows is a "Bank Account", and clearly the labels are exceptionally useless.
    4. The output file format is UTF-8 Unicode.
    5. The record separator of a single newline by itself can be easily confused with certain data in the "note" area of a record. You can see this in the image - the yellow line indicates what appears to be two records is actually just one record. It would be impossible for any automation tool to know this.
    6. Given that all the records appear to be identical in terms of their basic template (Name, URL, User ID, Password, Note), the best a converter could do is place these records into a 1Password Login, Password, or Secure Note. No other categorization is possible due ot the lack of information.

Creating a converter with the limitations mentioned above is not difficult.

To get a more robust 1Password experience, for any other categories (i.e. non Login, Password, Secure Note), you'll eventually need to copy/paste any record's Label / Values into the appropriate 1Password categories. You can do this by having all the records converted (into one of those three types), and doing the copy / paste within 1Password over time, or you can try to export only the Login / Password / Secure Note type entries

FYI: Login, Password, and Secure Note would be determined by the converter based on values present (e.g. an empty User ID, empty URL, but a value in the Password field would indicate the record should be a Password).

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@jasontheparanoid

Just wanted to check in with you - have you had a chance to review the replies here, and do you need any some assistance still?

• jasontheparanoid
    jasontheparanoid
    Community Member
    Options

I have, thanks, and come to the conclusion that importing the text file will create more problems than it solves. The mind-numbingly dull task of sifting, consolidating and then re-entering whatever I think might be useful information in the future lies ahead of me. I can't pretend to be excited!

But thanks so much for helping out anyway.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited December 2019
    Options

@jasontheparanoid ,

I hear you.

There is a way to perhaps shorten your journey. I'd be happy to create a converter, and you could add, say, a Category field to each of your records in a text editor. Then, the converter could use that field to trigger category detection. With that, the converter could place the records in any fields / categories you wanted. Happy to work with you offline if you want.

This discussion has been closed.