Searching between categories...

Options

When I do a search, it works fine in terms of what I am looking for. But when I discover that I am in the wrong category and switch categories, I must retype the search from scratch.

Is there a way to keep the search criteria as I switch categories, like maybe holding down the SHIFT key to tell 1Password to keep the search criteria when I click on the new category?

It would be nice if the feature worked in Windows as well as iOS.

Perhaps this feature already exists in 1Password and I just need to know how to use it.

1Password Version: 7.3.712
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: Windows 10 Home 1903
Sync Type: Membership
Referrer: forum-search:search

Comments

• At present, @Pongo5295, the category is considered part of your search, essentially, so there's no way to retain your search between categories. We definitely have a lot of search improvements in mind, though, and I'll be sure to pass your feedback along to our development team. Out of curiosity, what shapes your habits of searching within a single category? I personally tend to search from All Items myself, so I appreciate hearing about others' preferences so we can better understand how y'all are using 1Password so if you're up for sharing, I'd love to hear your thoughts. :chuffed:

• Pongo5295
    Pongo5295
    Community Member
    Options

I could just as easily not search Categories and use All Items as you suggested. I was searching Categories that I have set up to keep the number of items returned as a more reasonable number of items.

I had gotten the idea from using a product called X1 where searching all items could give you an unreasonable number of items but by holding down the SHIFT key while choosing a more restrictive category would the return a more reasonable number of items using the same search criteria.

But I do see your suggestion as being very viable. Thank you for your idea - I can certainly use your suggestion in the future.

• There are also filters you can use in All Items if certain searches do bring up too many things. Like "gmail" brings up a ton for me because basically every username ever is my gmail address, so when I want my actual gmail Login, I'll search title:Gmail to limit it to titles so I don't get a mess of results. I also make heavy use of tags so tag:finance for example can give me all of my financial Logins and tag:tax can give me all of the horrible tax documentation I need but don't actually want to think about. Search has a ways to go, but there are tools there that can help in the meantime and up to a point, I think you can already develop a pretty good system if you're up for taking the time. :+1:

• davidgeary
    davidgeary
    Community Member
    Options

FWIW, I have the same issue.

Having to remember to always switch to 'All Items' before searching is okay, but pretty much makes the categories redundant, and using filters just adds more work to what should just be a simple search. I appreciate that implementing this may be more involved than is apparent, but from a user perspective, being able to retain the search phrase when switching categories seems such an obvious requirement.

• I'm actually one that falls on the other side of the spectrum, @davidgeary – I rarely want my search retained. But, that's shaped by my own habits in using 1Password, including almost exclusively using All Items and relying on tags for organization rather than giving a single hoot about categories. The vast majority of my items fall into two categories anyway – Logins and Credit Cards – so selecting one often does me minimal good. And while I certainly could select a tag in my sidebar rather than using a tag search, I am borderline religious about avoiding my mouse so the chances of me making the choice to touch it instead of typing are almost nil.

And that's exactly the trouble – we're all different people with different habits and different expectations. My way is right for me, but chances are it's not right for you (or any number of other folks). That's why I personally feel like the answer isn't necessarily changing the default, or at least not only doing that. We need options and that's something that we're hoping to offer. It's not something on the immediate roadmap, but it's a need we're well aware of and keeping at the front of our minds moving forward. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.