Please reduce sign-in fatigue for X by supporting Windows Hello

Options

I like the idea of transitioning from desktop apps to the X extension-only approach. I am, however, super tired of entering my master password to the extension. Please reduce sign-in fatigue by either supporting Windows Hello from the extension directly (like https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/dev-guide/windows-integration/web-authentication) or some other clever approach you come up with. Note that in my case I am already doing max-sensitivity work on my PC, so I am comfortable with tying 1Password decryption to OS security/sign-in (includes disk encryption, TPM, VSM, etc.). I understand that some folks (e.g., shared family PC with single user account) might see "repeated sign-in specifically to 1Password" as a virtue.
As for browser scope, I mainly use the Chromium-based Edge, with a bit of Chrome and Firefox here and there

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:1Password X and Windows Hello

Comments

• MatthewMWR
    MatthewMWR
    Community Member
    Options

BTW did some more forum searching and found that I'm not the first here.... https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/108420/please-bring-windows-hello-into-1password-x

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2019
    Options

Hey there @MatthewMWR! Thanks for sharing your feedback with us. We’re currently testing how we can have 1Password X and the 1Password for Mac app communicate with each other and share lock/unlock states. It’s still in the beta phase at the moment, but I’d expect us to bring the technology to Windows once we have everything on the Mac side of things hashed out. It’s something to look forward to in the future, but keep in mind that the desktop-dependent 1Password extension is still available if you'd prefer to go that route in the meantime.

• Hello, @MatthewMWR! Thanks for bringing this up.

Kaitlyn nailed it but if you'd like some additional details and a peek behind the scenes, I think you'll enjoy the Update on Desktop App Integration on Windows post that I wrote up recently. It's certainly a focus of ours for the New Year.

Take care,

++dave;

• MatthewMWR
    MatthewMWR
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the responses. To be clear, though, from my perspective desktop integration is an anti-feature. Since all my 1P usage on PC can be browser based, I'd prefer for the extension to handle everything. I'd prefer not to install two different things via two different methods and then have to troubleshoot when they lose sync with each other or one fails to update, or...

I'll try the latest desktop integration, but please log a feedback or feature request that at least some of us would like to go extension only.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@MatthewMWR – It really is nice to have the chance to see things from a different perspective. I appreciate you giving us that opportunity. ❤️

I hope you get a chance to give Desktop App Integration a try once it's available on Windows. If you have any other questions in the meantime, you know where to find us!

This discussion has been closed.