No PIN keypad on iphone

Options
Doctor_Dan
Doctor_Dan
Community Member

Hello,
I am at my wits ends with 1PW. I've asked about my issues multiple time and yet they are not addressed.

1 -My iphone does not exhibit the same login screen as the ipads. The ipads have a pin keypad on the login screen next to the master pw field. This pin keypad is not displayed on the phone forcing me to type my long and tortuous password many, many times (see number 2)

2 -Although I have set the auto-lock to 1 hour and regardless of whether I have already logged into the app or not, I get the master password prompt once for the user name and again for the password field (most web apps are now putting up those prompts separately.

3 -I have tried keeping a copy of my master password (gasp!) in notes but you seem to have disallowed paste in the mp field.

The behavior is so awkward and annoying (the iphone keyboard is so small and clunky) that I have already started searching for a different solution.

This wouldn't be necessary if:
1 - you would honor the auto-lock setting and not prompt again once I have entered it or,
2 - display the pin keypad all the time, and perhaps
3 - if you allow the yubi fido dongle to be used as an alternative (on ios devices) to the master pw, not just as a second factor.

I see from the posts that others have encountered problems over the past two years, which is about how long I've asking you to do something about these issues.

As I said, my frustration has about reached the breaking point. The only obvious (bu bad) solution is to replace my master password with something that is short and easy to type (and does not require shifting and bouncing between pages 1 an 2 of the numerical/symbol keyboard).

I hope that this time I have I explained my problems with sufficient clarity that you will be clear about them.

I await a response.
Thank you,
Dan Essin

1Password Version: latest
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: ios 12 and 13
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @Doctor_Dan

Could you please let me know why you're trying to use a PIN vs Touch ID / Face ID? I think you'd be able to alleviate a lot of frustration by upgrading to biometry. To be frank there is only one device that is capable of running a supported version of 1Password for iOS that doesn't support biometry and that is the original iPad Air. As there are very few of those in circulation still the PIN option doesn't get much attention from customers, and as such hasn't gotten much attention from us. Based on that I would not anticipate any changes in that regard in the near term.

Ben

• Doctor_Dan
    Doctor_Dan
    Community Member
    Options

My 6plus doesn't support faceID and the fp scanner has proven to be unreliable, requiring frequent re-enrollments. The advantage of the PIN as I see it is that it is 100% reliable whereas that clearly cannot be said of biometry. Of course I would prefer a 6 digit code, but I guess that there's no chance of that.

btw - my ipad 4 has no biometry.

I guess that you leave me no choice but to wrestle with the fp scanner on the phone and hope that it works. That said, what damage would be done by showing the pin pad show on the phone screen like it does on all the ipads? It must take extra code to hide it on the phone.

Thanks,
    Dan

• Ben
    Options

Thanks @Doctor_Dan.

the fp scanner has proven to be unreliable, requiring frequent re-enrollments.

Have you spoken with Apple about this issue? I haven't experienced that, and I don't recall hearing reports of it from other people. There may be a problem with your device.

btw - my ipad 4 has no biometry.

The iPad 4 also isn't capable of running the current version of 1Password. If we were to make improvements in an updated version of 1Password the iPad 4 wouldn't be able to take advantage, unfortunately.

That said, what damage would be done by showing the pin pad show on the phone screen like it does on all the ipads? It must take extra code to hide it on the phone.

I'm not sure I follow. A PIN code can be enabled for 1Password on an iPhone and when enabled the PIN pad should appear when unlocking 1Password. Is the difficulty that you are having trouble enabling a PIN, or that the PIN entry screen isn't appearing properly?

Ben

• Doctor_Dan
    Doctor_Dan
    Community Member
    Options

Well, it “should” appear but it doesn’t. That’s what I have been trying to tell you for the past 6 months (on and off).

• Ben
    Options

Gotcha. Do you have a passcode enabled for unlocking your iPhone? And do you have 1Password > Settings > Advanced > Security > PIN Code enabled?

Ben

This discussion has been closed.