Current vault data overwritten by old vault data?

Options

I logged into my vault today to note that it appeared my vault data had been reverted to a 2017 set of data. All password changes since then don't show up. This is a problem in the Windows 10 app, the website and the Android app.

I used to be a legacy 1Password user with sync to a vault on Dropbox, but upgraded to the cloud platform in 2017. I reverted back after deciding I didn't want to pay the subscription. I changed my mind this year to accommodate my family's need to also have password management, and to start using 1PW in Chrome again.

I am missing all new log-ins generated since 2017, and any log-ins changed in 2017 are not shown when logging into the app or the website. Any assistance would be appreciated.

1Password Version: 7.3.712
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:new passwords overwritten by old import

Comments

• Any chance you last used a 1Password account in 2017? At a glance, this sounds like the ghost of that old account come back to haunt you and there are a few ways I can imagine that happening. The good news is that if I'm right, your current data is still right where you left it – in your recent standalone vault – and we can retrieve it no problem.

Operating under the assumption, for the moment, that I'm on the right track – could you try to find that old vault on Dropbox? Assuming you do hunt it down, try opening it up in 1Password as an extra standalone vault:

1. Choose 1Password > Open vault on this PC.
    2. Navigate to the vault's location, select it, then click "select vault".
    3. Enter your vault's password (the Master Password you used with that standalone vault) when prompted.

You may see a prompt noting that the format of the data will be changed. Since you're not syncing this vault anywhere else at the moment, that's nothing to be concerned about – go ahead and allow it. Once it's open, take a look and see if your latest data is in that vault. If it is, let me know. We can go ahead and delete that old data and import the good stuff instead. :+1:

• KevinGong
    KevinGong
    Community Member
    Options

Hi! Thanks for responding, I missed the email notification.

Yes, I believe you are correct about the old account data. I can confirm that when accessing 1Password on Android, my data is in fact current, so my prior statement is wrong.

As for opening my DropBox vault in 1Password for Windows: that seems to have gotten the issue fixed there. Thank you!

What steps do I need to take to make sure this doesn't happen again, and that my data in the website is correct?

• Rather than trying to interrogate my way towards a more complete understanding here, @KevinGong, I think it would be best to just take a look at some diagnostics from each device over e-mail so 1Password itself can tell us how it's set up. The answer is likely to involve moving some data around and I hate doing that without knowing for sure what you've got where. To that end, I'd like to ask you to create some diagnostics reports, one from each of your devices:

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com and include a link to this thread in the body of your message. That way I can "connect the dots" when I see your diagnostics in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  If you post that number here, I can track down the diagnostics and ensure that I or one of my teammates takes a look as soon as possible. Once I see the diagnostics, I'll be better able to ensure you're in good shape moving forward. :+1:

• KevinGong
    KevinGong
    Community Member
    Options

Support ID: [#RHY-39526-588]

Thanks!

• Found it, @KevinGong, thanks so much! Taking a peek now and I'll be back with you via e-mail once I've got my ducks in row. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.