What is the difference for "Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts" checked or not?

Raphael_Ferreira
Raphael_Ferreira
Community Member

What is the difference for "Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts" checked or not? I simply do not understand what it means, either checked or not. Can you please explain?

1Password Version: 1Password Version 6.8.8 (688001) Mac
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X High Sierra 10.13.3
Sync Type: Not sure
Referrer: forum-search:What is the difference for "Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts" checked or not?

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Raphael_Ferreira: Sure thing! This is the option that allows the use of local vaults — i.e. "standalone" vaults not associated with a 1Password.com membership. This option will be enabled by default if you setup 1Password as a standalone app with a local vault, and unavailable to change if you have any secondary vaults, and/or have no 1Password.com accounts setup in the app. If you have an account setup and only single local vault — Primary — in the app, disabling this option will delete that vault. But if you have only a Primary vault and nothing else, you won't be able to disable this, as then you'd have nothing at all. Essentially, this option only matters to you if you have an account and want to add or remove local vaults. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• terrejane
    terrejane
    Community Member

I had 1Password for years before signing up for the service. I believe everything transitioned over but is there a way to check what the differences between the two vaults is without going through each item individually and comparing them? Just wanted to make sure deleting the primary vault (having two vaults can lead to mixups) didn't cause any problem. Thanks.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@terrejane:

There isn't an automatic way to do this, but there are some ways to make it easier. Let's start with something simple: do you actually see a different number of items in your Primary vault and Private vault?

This discussion has been closed.