Need instructions on how to get 1Password extension back on Safari after Mojave 10.14.6 upgrade

Options
2»

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Indeed, you'd need to get the latest version either as part of a paid 1Password membership, or by purchasing a license specifically for it. Those are the options we can offer. 1Password isn't a hobby for us; it's how we make a living. There is other software out there, so we're grateful to those who support the work we do. :)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@marcobernardo - glad you're liking what you see with regard to 1Password accounts! It looks like brenty is already assisting you via email, so let's keep the conversation going that way, if that's all right with you.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

To be clear, since there seems to have been some confusion in this thread, we have never sold a "lifetime license" that means "pay once, get free upgrades forever." I don't know of many developers who sell such a thing, and those who do typically charge in the hundreds or even thousands of dollars for such a "forever" license, because they know they'll only ever get one purchase per user.

What we have sold (and continue to sell) are standalone licenses which never expire, but which are only for the version for which they were purchased. A license for 1Password 3 for Mac never expires, for example...and it can be used to license any copy of version 3 you install on any Mac that can still run it...forever. That same 1Password 3 for Mac license does NOT, however, license version 4 or 6 or 7. New full-version upgrades typically require new purchases, just like most software out there that uses the licensing method of sales.

• bartender
    bartender
    Community Member
    Options

I bought my 1password 6 from the Mac App Store. I want the standalone 1Password7. Do I have to uninstall the older version before installing the new version?

Also why can't you just put an extension out there for 1Password6 users. Its probably not that time consuming or expensive to do that. I would pay $3 for the new extension if it would still make me use my 1Password 6.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @bartender

If you'd like a 1Password 7 for Mac license you would need to move 1Password 6 to the trash and then install 1Password 7 from our website. The App Store version is subscription only.

Also why can't you just put an extension out there for 1Password6 users. Its probably not that time consuming or expensive to do that.

It took a huge amount resources to get to where we are with the Safari extension in 1Password 7. If you'd like to benefit from that work there is a cost associated with that.

Ben

• bartender
    bartender
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben,

I totally understand and agree with your view and also agree that it took you lots of time and resources for 7. Also I am willing to pay for 7.

What I would like you and your team to understand is that there is huge user base who are perfectly happy with 6 and we just want it to work. We paid for it and also for the iOS app and we just want it to work. Upgrading to 7 just for a safari extension doesn't make sense for us. Hope you and your team understand our perspective. We are not asking free lifetime upgrades. We just want what we paid for to work.

Bharath.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited October 2019
    Options

@bartender

I do understand but that just isn't feasible. 1Password 6 has been retired and hasn't been updated in well over a year. Safari 13 was released and the Safari Extension Gallery was shut down more than a year after the last copy of 1Password 6 was sold. Back-porting the 1Password 7 Safari extension to it isn't something we're going to be able to do. It would be a monumental undertaking. We'd basically be re-doing all of the work that went into 1Password 7 with regard to Safari.

We are not asking free lifetime upgrades.

You may not be thinking of it in those terms, but where is the cut-off point? Let's say we were to do as you are proposing. What happens when some other piece of software on your system changes, or Safari changes again, and some aspect of 1Password 6 stops working the way you expect?

Respectfully, the only way forward is forward.

Ben

• Eze
    Eze
    Community Member
    Options

Lars, it took a full uninstall and reinstall to get the extension straigntened out. seems all is working now. Thanks!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On behalf of Lars, you are welcome! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• AlexBPA
    AlexBPA
    Community Member
    Options

Why I cannot more install 1Password 6 extension in my Safari 11.1.2? As 1Password 6 Customer, may I have the correct file to reinstall Safari extension or not? I don't want to upgrade my ElCapitan OS X, I don't want to upgrade to Safari 13, I don't want to upgrade to 1Password 7... but WHY I CANNOT HAVE CORRECT safari extension?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@AlexBPA:

Apple removed the Safari Extension Gallery which 1Password 6 used. You can find all the information about this in this article.

This discussion has been closed.