How can I get autofill to work on my Android phone?

Options
gmj
gmj
Community Member

I'm using an Android Pixel 3a. (Prior to this, I used a Moto G3.)

Previously, on Android, 1PW used to offer to fill in logins when I was on a website. When I was in a login box, the 1PW window would pop up and ask if I wanted to use 1PW. Autofill no longer appears/happens on any website, where it used to work before.

I'm also not able to get to a website (nor autofill) from within the 1PW app.
So no access from 1PW or from the site I want to visit.

Autofill and Accessibility are on.

Secondary issue, that I seem to have solved:
I was previously having the problem of 1PW locking every time I exited a page and then I'd have to reenter my 1PW again to get the site's login pw after I had gotten my user name.
I turned off "Lock on exit". So that seems to work, but now I have the Autofill problem.

P. S.
I'm guessing there's no Extension used in Android? Or is that part of my problem?

Thanks!

Comments

• Hi @gmj, it sounds like the first thing we should try is turning Autofill and Accessibility off and then on again. Here's how:

1. Open and unlock 1Password and tap Settings > Autofill.

2. Tap Autofill to turn it off, tap it again and select 1Password from the list to turn it back on.

3. Tap Accessibility, this will open your device's Settings app to the Accessibility page, find 1Password in the list and turn it off and then on again.

With that done, does Autofill come up when you're on a sign in page in your browser?

• gmj
    gmj
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @andiAG, that works now on most pages!

Where it doesn't work:
    Where my sign in's are on two pages. 1PW won't work on the second (password) page.
    It also doesn't work on Consumer Cellular's login page at all.
    And it won't work on a credit union's credit card page.

Thanks!

• Thanks for the update, @gmj. Can you let me know what browser you're using on Android? Also, regarding the two-page sign-in issue, is this on every site that has the login split across multiple pages, or any in particular?

Also, would you be willing to share the credit union's URL so I can test filling there?

• gmj
    gmj
    Community Member
    Options

Now, I'm getting really confused. It seems really random about what sites 1PW will log into. I can login to some with no problem and others, including where the login info is all on one page, do not autofill at all.
    Whereas, 1PW on my Macbook Pro has no problems logging in.

I'm using Firefox as my default browser. Is this part of the problem? Do I need to install an extension for Firefox on my new phone? I transferred my previous phone's data. Why would 1PW autofill some logins, but not others?

I see where my credit union has a beta in their mobile app for their credit card login, so I'll wait for that to get out of beta.

Also on all 3 of my google accounts, 1PW will autofill the first login page, but not the second.

Thanks!

• Hi @gmj, there isn't necessarily one thing that stops Autofill from coming up, instead different sign in pages can offer different challenges. Having said that your Google logins should be filling across the two pages in Firefox.

Let's get a diagnostics report and take a closer look at what might be going on. To do this, follow the instructions linked below:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Android)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+android@agilebits.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/109742/how-can-i-get-autofill-to-work-on-my-android-phone
    • Your forum username: @gmj

That way I can "connect the dots" when I see your diagnostics in our inbox.

Let me know when you've emailed in and I'll keep an eye out for you. :)

Cheers!

• gmj
    gmj
    Community Member
    edited December 2019
    Options

Basic question: Do I have/need an extension for 1PW on my Android phone with my Firefox browser?
    I know I do on my Macbook Pro.
    Is there a way I can check to see if I have one on my Pixel 3a? Or is an extension needed?

Also, I recently updated the phone to Android 10, could that be an issue?

• Nope, there's no extensions needed for the Android app. The filling settings can be found in the app itself, open 1Password and head to Settings > Autofill, and both Autofill and Accessibility should be turned on. Try turning them off and then on again, to see if that makes a difference.

Android 10 shouldn't cause a problem with filling, but may also be a reason to turn the filling options off and then on again.

• gmj
    gmj
    Community Member
    Options

I just turned Autofill and Accessibility off and on again (I'd done it once before) and no change. It still won't autofill the second page on one of my google accounts.
    I'm not ready to fill out a diagnostic report at this time.

• gmj
    gmj
    Community Member
    Options

When I use 1PW on my phone, is it using my default browser (Firefox)?
    If so, would it be worth trying 1PW with Chrome as my default browser?

• Mica
    Mica
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @gmj, thanks for trying out Andi's tips, I'm sorry to hear toggling Accessibility and Autofill didn't solve this for you! Firefox should be filling correctly on the Google pages, but it might not hurt to try another browser. On my own Pixel 3a (Android 10 as well,), filling seems to work correctly all the way through the sign in process.

Even if you're unable to send us a diagnostics report, please go ahead and reach out to us at support+android@agilebits.com with:

Looking forward to hearing from you!

• gmj
    gmj
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Mica and @andiAG, thank you for your responses.
    I played around a bit and now 1PW is working on both browsers.

I really hadn't explored 1PW on Android much before because I had an older phone (Moto G3) and was running Android 6. And 1PW didn't seem to work very easily on that phone. I mainly used 1PW on my Macbook.

So, this is more like a beginning foray with Android.

I switched default browsers back and forth between Firefox and Chrome, but that didn't make a difference.
    Working in Chrome I noticed that there was a key icon to the right of the url. I wasn't sure if it was 1PW or Chrome wanting to save passwords (which I've turned off and don't want).
    It became clear it was 1PW. So that was the main missing piece for me. The key to my problems!

I can now see why some sites would fill in and others wouldn't. Some sites are hardwired to automatically fill and the others needed me to select the key. That explains what seemed like randomness before.

Most all of my logins work, including the ones I was concerned about.
    The New York Times and Washington Post do not, but I have apps that I use for these that work fine.

Thanks, I'm glad to have fuller use of 1PW.

• andiAG
    edited December 2019
    Options

Ah, suddenly this makes sense! You're using 1Password's internal browser :)

I was thinking that you were in the Firefox app and navigating to your Google sign in page.

You're correct, if you're in the 1Password app and tap on a web address for an item then it will open in the internal browser: if a sign in page opens then 1Password will usually autofill your login details, but if it doesn't then tapping the key should do the trick. As you've spotted, your default browser doesn't make any difference to the internal browser.

If you wanted to use your default browser, then long press (rather than tap) on the web address and then tap "Open...", this will launch your default browser and open the page. When you're in an external browser, that's when you'll see the "Autofill with 1Password" prompt.

• gmj
    gmj
    Community Member
    Options

This is so great to have 1PW working well on my phone!
    I used to try to hack around with my old phone and copy and paste the passwords, and would get logged out, etc. That was pretty bad.

If 1PW is not open, then is it the case that some webpage logins may pop up a "log-in to 1PW window" and other webpage logins will not do that?

Is there any benefit to login to a site through my browser (Firefox) vs. the 1PW internal browser?

It's so great to have 1PW wonderfully functional on my phone.
    Thanks!

• @gmj You should have the option of filling in sites regardless of whether 1Password is open or not. You should see an 'Autofill with 1Password' prompt, and you can launch 1Password to find your Logins through this prompt.

As to what browser to use, I recommend using Firefox or your preferred browser, as Autofill and Accessibility do a great job filling in browsers. The built-in 1Browser is there if you need it, but as we're not browser developers, you'll probably have a better experience with other browsers.

• gmj
    gmj
    Community Member
    Options

@peri I just tested 3 login sites with 1Password not open. I used both Chrome and Firefox on each site.
    I got the "Autofill with 1Password" prompt for all 3 sites on Chrome.

However, I got no prompt on 2 of my login sites when using Firefox. However, one login site did give me the autofill prompt.

I know Firefox has a lot of blocking software.
    Might I need to change the settings in Firefox, so it will allow the 1PW prompt window to appear?

I do have my Android's Firefox browser synchronized with my Macbook's Firefox browser. Maybe there are Firefox settings I can or need to adjust within my Macbook?

Do Autofill and Accessibility work with the Browsers like the Extensions do on Macs?

• @gmj Autofill and Accessibility aren't reliant on Firefox's settings, so no need to change anything there. If you're seeing the Autofill prompt in some cases but not in others, it sounds like the problem is related to specific sites. Would you be willing to share the URLs for the sites you're having trouble with?

• gmj
    gmj
    Community Member
    Options

@peri Here's one url that won't produce an autofill window for 1PW in Firefox, but does in Chrome.

https://www.consumercellular.com/

• @gmj It looks like 1Password isn't detecting this field due to it being a number field rather than a username field. The password field should be filled with Accessibility (which is what fills in Chrome), but not with Autofill (which handles filling in Firefox). I'll share this with our development team so they can look into it.

• gmj
    gmj
    Community Member
    Options

How about this one:
    https://www.comfirstcu.org/

The 1PW autofill prompt appears in Chrome, but does not in Firefox.

I also have an App on my phone for this site. It does not produce the Autofill prompt either.

On my Macbook, in the login process, a drop down menu appears with my username as a choice to select.
    (works in Firefox.)

• gmj
    gmj
    Community Member
    Options

@peri I forgot to tag you on my last comment.

• I'm seeing the same behaviour as you are on the https://www.comfirstcu.org/ site, looks like Autofill in Firefox doesn't like the pop up login box that they're using (though it will fill the password just fine on the next page). I'll pass this along to the development team too :)

• gmj
    gmj
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks!
    When might I hear back on this?

• gmj
    gmj
    Community Member
    Options

In the meantime, I can use Chrome instead of Firefox.

Thank you Andi, Peri and Mica.

• No worries @gmj :chuffed:

These things don't tend to be worked on individually but rather in bulk, so I can't guarantee that we'll be able to keep you up to date with any changes but I've made a note that you reported this to us.

Alternatively you could keep an eye on our release notes where we detail what's been added/fixed in each update. Here's the Android notes: https://app-updates.agilebits.com/product_history/OPA4

• gmj
    gmj
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On behalf of andiAG, you are very welcome!

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.