After updating to v7 Safari extension no longer works.

Options
mforge
mforge
Community Member

Upgraded to v7 yesterday and now my 1P Safari extension no longer works. The button is still there, but clicking on it does nothing. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling. Any suggestions?

1Password Version: 7.0.4
Extension Version: 4.7.1
OS Version: OSX 10.13.4
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Jacob
    Options

Hey @mforge! Could you try restarting your computer to see if that gets things working? Let us know! :)

• mforge
    mforge
    Community Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

Yes, that did it, Jacob. Of course, I should have tried that off the bat! Thanks.

• Henry
    Henry
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On behalf of Jacob, you're very welcome @mforge! That magic restart always works wonders, doesn't it. :blush:

Let us know anytime if there's more we can do to help you!

• lungrunner
    lungrunner
    Community Member
    Options

I have same problem. Restarting did not help. I have deleted the extension and reinstalled. Still nothing happens with upgrade to v 7

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@lungrunner - can you tell us where you have the 1Password app installed on your hard drive, specifically? Also, when you say "same problem," can you elaborate a bit for us? What specifically isn't working the way you think it should, and what specific steps have you taken so far? Thanks.

• lungrunner
    lungrunner
    Community Member
    Options

The App on HD is located:HD>Home>Applications>1Password. I had not realized it was installed there with upgrade. I moved it to HD>Applications and it is all fine. Thanks!

• eboehnisch
    eboehnisch
    Community Member
    Options

I had the very same problem. All my apps are usually installed in ~/Applications; 1Password 7, specifically, was installed, like version 6 before, in ~/Applications/Utilities. I now moved it to /Applications and now the Safari extension works. If this is so critical, shouldn't the application check for itself if it is installed in the correct location? Or the extension find the app even if it is installed in another place?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@lungrunner - thanks for the update; glad everything's back to normal and working well for you now. :)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2018
    Options

@eboehnisch - Hey Eric! Yep, I agree with you; we should place a check on this. I've just had a quick chat with our dev team and I've filed issue 1627 internally for that so hopefully people installing in the future won't run into the same confusion. Cheers from the AgileBits crew and thanks for the suggestion.

ref: apple-1627, ASH-83562-198

• Arch
    Arch
    Community Member
    Options

I did the restart and I have to open the app I want to sign in, press the extension button, unlock 1Password, it opens to all sites, type in the web site I am at, then hit auto fill and then it pastes to web site, then hit enter and then it works. Could there be a conflict with the safari password program? I used to be able to use both.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Arch:

If you open 1Password Preferences > Mini tab, is the dropdown menu Open 1Password to set to "All Items" by chance?

Could there be a conflict with the safari password program? I used to be able to use both.

We recommend disabling the browser's password manager if you use 1Password, as there could be interference between the two. It's just a safer choice to only let 1Password do its job and avoid the risk of conflict altogether.

• Arch
    Arch
    Community Member
    edited December 2019
    Options

Yes it is set to all items. When changed to suggestions it produces the correct web page. I thought it would fill and execute with one click in the past. It no longer does that.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Arch:

It seems like Suggestions is indeed the right setting for you, based on what you wrote. Once you are on a website that you want to login to, the quickest way to fill your details is to use the Cmd+\ keyboard shortcut, so you don't even have to click anywhere.

• Arch
    Arch
    Community Member
    Options

So that makes it simpler. So having to click on autofill is required and then pressing the log in button on the web screen and then it works, is that the sequence? Any other short cuts? How do I block the Safari to see if it works better? Thanks for your input.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Arch:

So having to click on autofill is required and then pressing the log in button on the web screen and then it works, is that the sequence? Any other short cuts?

The way I use it is I make sure 1Password is unlocked, then I visit the website I want to login to, and I press the Cmd+\ shortcut to fill my login details. That's all I need to do. If 1Password is locked when I do it, all I need to do is enter my Master Password to unlock it.

How do I block the Safari to see if it works better?

You can find the instructions to disable Safari's password manager here.

This discussion has been closed.