How to copy from iCloud Keychain to 1password?

dmmdtm
dmmdtm
Community Member

Just setup 1Password. On my iPad/iPhone we had all our logon stuff in the iCloud Keychain. How do I get all of that into 1password?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Sync iCloud to 1password

Comments

• williakz
    williakz
    Community Member

Uh-oh.

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited November 2019

@dmmdtm

When you say iCloud keychain? Are you referring to the Apple in-browser password saving, or are you referring to the "iCloud syncing" through 1Password?

We can try to answer some questions, while we wait for the staff.

• dmmdtm
    dmmdtm
    Community Member
    edited November 2019

iCloud Keychain as in the iOS password store. Where all my historical login info was stored. Trying to completely migrate to 1Password.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@dmmdtm ,

Do you have a macOS system that also has iCloud Keychain enabled for your account? This will be the only way to migrate.

• dmmdtm
    dmmdtm
    Community Member

Nope. I have iPhones and iPads only.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited November 2019

iCloud Keychain does not offer a way (that I'm aware of) for other apps in iOS to obtain its contents, so no export/conversion can be done.

Under macOS, I've been able to get a script to run that can pull Safari's passwords. I'm not able to get other iCloud Keychain details (but can get local Keychain data).

@dmmdtm

• NeoN
    NeoN
    Community Member

Hi @MrC

Ive been following the guided steps in the mrc-converter-suit to import passwords from keychain to 1Password. After unchecking keychain in iCloud, I now have two keychains 1)Login and 2)Local items(data from iCloud). When using the MSCOnverterHelper, it only manages to export the 1st keychain as a 1PIF. I.e, I managed to transfer all data from my Login keychain into 1Password, but nothing from my Local items keychain. There is no account path to the Local Items, only an account number.

Ive also tried the GetSafari...applescrips, as it is mainly my Safari logins Im interested in, but I couldn't get it to work properly.

Any suggestions?

Thank you

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@NeoN

Which version of macOS and Safari are you running?

• NeoN
    NeoN
    Community Member

@MrC version 13.0.3

• NeoN
    NeoN
    Community Member

and Catalina

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@NeoN

Exporting items from iCloud Keychain via copying into a local keychain has not worked since reliably Sierra reliably and not at all since High Sierra. This is the reason for the GetSafariPasswords scripts.

What errors do you get when trying to run them? Also, you must quit Safari prior to running the script.

• NeoN
    NeoN
    Community Member

@MrC ,

Im not entirely sure if Im going about it correctly, ie, copy pasting the script into terminal.
    Is there a guide for the GetSafariPasswords?

Thanks

• NeoN
    NeoN
    Community Member

It works!!

This is the error I get when I run the script:
    -- 'ascr'\'err '{ '----':'utxt'("System Events got an error: Script Editor is not allowed to send keystrokes."), 'errn':1002 }

The issue was privacy as the script editor didn't have permission. Changing that in security&privacy fixed the issue.

Thank you @MrC

• williakz
    williakz
    Community Member
    edited December 2019

Congrats @NeoN! Glad to hear you got everything working and all your data moved over.

While it's still fresh in your mind, and if you have the time, could you please post up a quick summary of the steps you took (along with any prerequisite actions) to move Safari passwords from on IOS to a form where they can be imported to 1Password for Mac? I've got one of these pulls coming up and have been dreading having to tangle with the @MrC's script utility again (sorry but my previous attempt failed utterly). Thanks in advance.

• Thanks so much for your feedback on the situation, @NeoN. I'm glad to hear it worked out.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.