To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Security Question (Important)

lealaw
lealaw
Community Member

Hello Friends:

I have a question: Why every time I've used (set up) a new device (iPhone / iPad / iMac) and installed 1Password, it did always just asked me for the Master Password to allow me access to my info (records saved in 1 Password) and never asked me for the Security Key?

Thank you.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• plttn
    plttn
    Community Member

The Secret Key is stored in iCloud Keychain.

See https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/373216/#Comment_373216

• lealaw
    lealaw
    Community Member

Thank you for your answer, but it's not clear to me. I've never used iCloud Keychain, it is always been disabled on my devices (iPhone / iPad Mac).

And many times I set up a device (iPhone / iPad / Mac) as a new device (not restoring from a backup) and I was never asked for my Secret Key in order to access my 1Password account through 1Password app.

I always sign in to my iCloud account as first thing when I set up a device (iPhone / iPad / Mac) as a new device (not restoring from a backup), but I was never asked for my Secret Key in order to access my 1Password account through 1Password app.

Please clarify my concern. Thank you again.

• lealaw
    lealaw
    Community Member

Hello, no more help?! Thank you.

• Hi @lealaw

Thanks for taking the time to write in to express your concern. I'd be happy to help with that. Did you have to enter your sign-in address and email address when setting up 1Password, or were those populated for you as well?

Ben

• lealaw
    lealaw
    Community Member

Thank you for your answer Ben and sorry for my delay. I only had to sign in with my Apple ID into my new device, then I only was asked for the Master Password to open 1Password and get access to my records in 1Password.

• lealaw
    lealaw
    Community Member

Hello, any more help to clarify my question? thank you again.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2019

@lealaw:

Do you mean that when you opened 1Password for the first time on your new device, you saw just the Master Password prompt, nothing else? That would suggest that the 1Password data was already on this device, and that it had therefore been configured previously.

• lealaw
    lealaw
    Community Member

hello @ag_ana thank you for your answer, yes I did mean that. You said "That would suggest that the 1Password data was already on this device, and that it had therefore been configured previously.", but how could have been that possible if as you mentioned we are talking about a new device? I wait for your comments. Thank you again.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@lealaw:

Where is your 1Password data stored? Is it on 1Password.com, iCloud or Dropbox?

Also, how did you setup this new device exactly? Did you restore from an iCloud backup or did you configure it as a new device?

• lealaw
    lealaw
    Community Member

Hello, thank you for your help.

“Where is your 1Password data stored? Is it on 1Password.com, iCloud or Dropbox?”

I don’t know how to respond to that.

“Also, how did you setup this new device exactly? Did you restore from an iCloud backup or did you configure it as a new device?”

I configured it as a new device, but signing in with my Apple ID in the initial set up process.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@lealaw:

I think you must have configured the 1Password app after setting up the new device. I cannot think of another scenario where the data would already be there.

• lealaw
    lealaw
    Community Member

Hello again @ag_ana , yes that's what I did : "I think you must have configured the 1Password app after setting up the new device."

But my question is: how was the data there, if we are both saying that I configured my device as a "new" device, not from any backup. Thank you.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited December 2019

@lealaw,

If your 1Password data is or was previously synced with iCloud, and you had signed into iCloud / your Apple ID on the device, then that would explain what you saw.

Ben

• lealaw
    lealaw
    Community Member

Thank you!

• You're very welcome. If you'd like, we'd be happy to take a look at a diagnostic report from your iPhone to verify things are set up as they should be for your situation. To facilitate that, please see this guide:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (iOS)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/109845/security-question-important#latest
    • Your forum username: lealaw

That way I can "connect the dots" when I see your diagnostics in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here so I can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once I see the diagnostics I'll be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.