YubiKey not working with 1password

matthew2
matthew2
Community Member

Hi

I am moving from Lastpass and my Yubikey works fine and still works fine (as I am still regularly logging into Lastpass for some old logins) but with 1password it wont register the Yubikey at all.

Any ideas why?

1Password Version: 7.3.2
Extension Version: 1.16.2
OS Version: macOS Catalina 10.15
Sync Type: 1password.com

Comments

• Hi @mdeluk

Are you following these instructions?

Use your U2F security key as a second factor for your 1Password account

Have you already done this step?

Before you can use your security key as a second factor for your 1Password account, you’ll need to turn on two-factor authentication for your 1Password account.

Please let me know.

Ben

• matthew2
    matthew2
    Community Member

Hey Ben

Yes I’m at the step to register the YubiKey, using Chrome as well as the page doesn’t seem to say Safari is supported, which is odd because LastPass support YubiKey in Safari.

Matt

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@mdeluk:

using Chrome as well as the page doesn’t seem to say Safari is supported

I am sorry, I did not understand this sentence. Can you please clarify what you meant?

• matthew2
    matthew2
    Community Member

Sorry yeah, the page on 1passwords site that explains how to setup YubiKey lists supported browsers, I’ve tried in both Safari and Chrome. At first I was trying on Safari until I realised the instructions page didn’t list it as a support browser so then I tried Chrome and this also didn’t work.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@mdeluk:

I see, thank you! So you are getting stuck before step 8 in the guide, correct? You inserted your YubiKey, pressed it but you are not seeing any confirmation in the 1Password web app?

• matthew2
    matthew2
    Community Member

Correct. It’s like it’s not registering it at all.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@mdeluk:

Thank you for the confirmation. Can you please generate some console logs and send them to us at support+forum@agilebits.com?

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and get back to you as soon as possible.

Looking forward to your message!

• matthew2
    matthew2
    Community Member

Hey @ag_ana

No problem I have just sent this in. :)

Ticket ID: [#SZE-88679-223]

Thanks!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you @mdeluk! We have received your email and we will get back to you over there as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience!

ref: SZE-88679-223

• shima
    shima
    Community Member

I have this same problem where it never recognizes my yubikey when I touch it to activate it. My computer has no problem w/ the yubikey which I use for several things at work. Also tried on both Chrome and Safari. Did this ever get fixed for the original poster?

• shima
    shima
    Community Member

Also does not work on Firefox.

• Hi @shima,

Are you using a YubiKey model that supports U2F? https://www.yubico.com/products/identifying-your-yubikey/

Some of the older models do not have this feature.

• shima
    shima
    Community Member

@Jasper I have a USB-C yubikey, but can't tell whether it's a YubiKey C Nano FIPS, YubiKey 5C Nano, or YubiKey 4C Nano as they all look the same on the link you provided and the key itself doesn't specify which version it is in system information on the Mac or elsewhere that I can see.

• @shima

Are you able to look up your purchase information from when you ordered the key?

Ben

• shima
    shima
    Community Member

I installed yubikey manager software so it would tell me which one I have, the funny thing is that it identifies this one as a Yubikey NEO (which is not a USB-C one, which mine is most definitely a low profile USB-C YuibKey) but if it is a USB-C version of NEO (perhaps?) the NEO says it supports U2F.

• shima
    shima
    Community Member

@Ben work provided this yubikey to me, I did not purchase it.

• As far as I'm aware Yubico didn't make a Yubikey NEO with USB-C. Perhaps with some photos the folks over at Yubico can help identify it, if your employer cannot?

https://support.yubico.com/support/tickets/new

Ben

• Thanks, any of those keys you mentioned should work.

To rule out an issue with your browser or key, can you give it a try on this demo site:

• Go to https://webauthn.io/

• Enter a fake username (anything will do).

• Click register and see if your key works.

This discussion has been closed.