To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Can’t revert to pre-subscription vault

Options
Quantumpanda
Quantumpanda
Community Member

I migrated to a new computer about two weeks ago, a MacBook Pro with Touch ID. When I upgraded to 1P7, it made me change my Master Password because the old one wasn’t long enough. I also set up a trial of a 1Password Membership.

Today, 1Password would not accept my Touch ID, and it rejected all attempts to enter my Master Password. I went through all the steps provided to try to recover the Master Password without any success.

After multiple attempts, I finally decided to just delete the membership account and start over with a regular license and a fresh copy of the old vault from the old computer (I’ll lose a handful of password changes, but nothing I can’t reset.) I uninstalled 1Password 7 and 6 (using a utility to remove all associated files from ~/Library), brought over a fresh copy of the old vault from the old computer (via Dropbox, rewinding to a copy of the vault that predates my getting the new computer), and reinstalled 1Password fresh.

I first tried reusing 1P 6, but I got a repeating error message saying that the data was from a newer version (an error that itself is problematic, because once it occurs, the error message pops up repeatedly, over and over, not stopping until I reboot).

I switched back to 1Password 7 and a new fresh copy of the old vault, and avoided the error message, but it won’t accept my old Master Password.

I have three other devices linked to this vault via Dropbox, and all three still accept the old Master Password. None of the other devices had yet been linked to the membership and have continued to use the local Dropbox vault, which appears to have been unchanged by by new computer since I started the membership trial.

The only thing I can think of that might be causing this is an associated file somewhere that I can’t find. When I uninstalled 1Password, I removed all the preference, App Support, and Container files I could find, but there must be another somewhere that’s holding on to the Master Password.

How can I get 1P7 to forget everything it knew and import the old vault again with the old Master Password?

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Quantumpanda!

How can I get 1P7 to forget everything it knew and import the old vault again with the old Master Password?

Have you tried starting over within the 1Password 7 already? This will allow you to configure it with the Dropbox vault that all your other devices are already using.

• macindigo
    macindigo
    Community Member
    Options

@Quantumpanda

I first tried reusing 1P 6, but I got a repeating error message saying that the data was from a newer version

Which version of OS, Safari and 1Password 6 are you using on each of your devices? The latest version of 1Password 6 is 6.8.9.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Indeed, please also make sure that you are on the latest version of 1Password 6 if you plan to do any work with that version. Thank you for the tip macindigo!

• Quantumpanda
    Quantumpanda
    Community Member
    Options

I'm using macOS 10.15.2. The Safari version isn't relevant—Safari isn't involved in any of what I'm trying to do.

I hadn't tried the reset procedure—I didn't realize there were Help menu commands beyond the usual, and most other menu commands are greyed out until you unlock. Stupid me for not checking for Help menu options.

I have done the reset now, but I can't get 1P7 to recognize my old vault as importable. I've been using 1P long enough that my old vault is an .agilekeychain file, not an .opvault file. 1P7 doesn't recognize it as a vault, and while changing the extension to .opvault allows me to select it for import, 1P7 won't do anything with it—it just stay on the "select file" screen. I did not have this issue when I first installed 1P7, but I was also not trying to start over from scratch then.

I would prefer to use 1P7, as the Safari browser plug-in no longer works on 1P6 (Safari isn't my primary browser, but I have to use it occasionally). So now what?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2019
    Options

@Quantumpanda:

.agilekeychain is such an old format that 1Password 7 does not support it anymore, so you will have to convert it to .opvault first (but changing the file extension won't be enough, the file needs to be properly converted).

1Password 7 can convert your existing data for you under the File menu > Import... > 1Password Keychain option:

• Quantumpanda
    Quantumpanda
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you! It's working correctly now.

As a suggestion, perhaps 1P could recognize if someone is trying to connect a file as a vault that actually needs to be imported and converted, and then either prompt the user to use that command or offer to start the process itself, rather than simply not allowing selection of such a file. This would be particularly helpful given that the Import command is greyed out until you set up or log in to an account. It could even be as simple as a link in the setup process saying "click here if you want to use a data source other than an .opvault file" that would then guide the user through setting up or logging in to their account and then go directly into the import process.

Also, you should probably have 1P give an error message if you try to load an .opvault file that isn't correctly formatted (like I did with renaming my .agilekeychain file), instead of just silently doing nothing. Confirmation that something failed is at least as important as confirmation that something succeeded.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Quantumpanda:

Thank you for the update! I am glad to hear you managed to import your vault :)

As a suggestion, perhaps 1P could recognize if someone is trying to connect a file as a vault that actually needs to be imported and converted, and then either prompt the user to use that command or offer to start the process itself, rather than simply not allowing selection of such a file.

In a typical upgrade process, 1Password does this automatically: if you install 1Password 7, what normally happens is that the 1Password 6 app becomes zipped in your Application folder, and your vault is automatically moved, but there could be certain installation scenarios where this does not happen automatically. In that case, we have the Import menu for this, but thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us, we can always look at ways to improve the process.

Also, you should probably have 1P give an error message if you try to load an .opvault file that isn't correctly formatted (like I did with renaming my .agilekeychain file), instead of just silently doing nothing.

I see what you mean. I see why 1Password would not do anything when the file is not correctly formatted such in the case of simply renaming the .agilekeychain file, we can see if there is anything we can do to spot this during the import :+1:

• Quantumpanda
    Quantumpanda
    Community Member
    Options

In a typical upgrade process, 1Password does this automatically: if you install 1Password 7, what normally happens is that the 1Password 6 app becomes zipped in your Application folder, and your vault is automatically moved, but there could be certain installation scenarios where this does not happen automatically.

Which explains why I didn't have the same trouble the first time I upgraded to 1P7—everything happened automatically because I already had 1P6 installed and active. I uninstalled both 1P6 and 7 when I was having trouble getting past the password trouble. Speaking of which, thank you for not putting a lockout on password attempts in 1P (at least, not for reasonable numbers of attempts). I'd have been completely screwed if, say, five failed attempts locked you out for some period of time. I'd probably still be waiting for 1P to let me try logging in again, with as many variations on what should have been my password as I tried.

(And yes, I know I brought it upon myself by not downloading the Emergency Kit the first time I created an account. My new password was a logical (to me, not to most others) variation on my previous Master Password, which was deemed "too short", and I didn't think I would be at risk of forgetting it. Turns out that what I thought I had entered and noted down that I had entered clearly was not the variation that actually got entered and accepted. Touch ID kept me from having to re-enter the password regularly like I was used to, which would have revealed the problem immediately. I have since adjusted the settings so that I have to re-enter the Master Password at least once a day instead of the default of once a week. And I made sure to download the Emergency Kit this time!)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Quantumpanda:

I have since adjusted the settings so that I have to re-enter the Master Password at least once a day instead of the default of once a week. And I made sure to download the Emergency Kit this time!)

Both of these sound great. It looks like you are all set now :)

This discussion has been closed.