ON MY MAC vault versus other vaults

razorsharp
razorsharp
Community Member

After upgrading, I ended up with my "Primary" vault listed under "ON MY MAC" in the sidebar and my "Personal" vault listed under my 1Password membership Id. When I create a new vault (File -> New Vault) I can either create the vault under my membership Id or as "standalone". What, exactly, is the difference between a vault under my 1Password Id and one "ON MY MAC" ?

What I want to accomplish is to have my vaults exist only on my local computer and never be sent to the 1Password servers. I set up a iOS synching by WLAN, which works beautifully. Do I need to move my Personal vault to "ON MY MAC" to avoid it being stored on 1Password servers?

And how does the above relate to the option of synching my vault(s) to a Folder on my mac? 1Password seems to work without synching to a Folder, so what is the purpose of the folder synch?

I am a software engineer, so the more technical your response, the better. I love your product and I am happy to have an account, but I am paranoid and would prefer to keep all the data locally. I am willing to rely on my own backup process to protect myself from losing data.

Thanks in advance, and thanks for a top-notch product.

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.3.2 (70302004)
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: 10.15.2
Sync Type: WLAN
Referrer: forum-search:"on my mac"

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @razorsharp! Welcome to the forum!

What, exactly, is the difference between a vault under my 1Password Id and one "ON MY MAC" ?

A standalone vault is one that is stored on your Mac. A vault under your 1Password Id is stored on 1Password.com, and therefore available on all your devices when you login to your account.

Do I need to move my Personal vault to "ON MY MAC" to avoid it being stored on 1Password servers?

That's correct. From that point on you will have to manage your vault manually, including sync and backups, so please make sure that this is really what you want to do. Vaults will not automatically show up on your devices anymore, so you will have to configure each of your devices manually from that point on, using one of the advanced sync methods.

And how does the above relate to the option of synching my vault(s) to a Folder on my mac? 1Password seems to work without synching to a Folder, so what is the purpose of the folder synch?

It's an advanced sync option that allows you to use other sync methods you have configured by yourself. It's the most technical option available, so we won't be able to offer support for it. But if you use it, you probably don't need it anyway ;)

I love your product and I am happy to have an account, but I am paranoid and would prefer to keep all the data locally.

Thank you! Your setup is indeed possible, but you would lose all the features that come with the Membership for every vault you move locally, so it's not something we typically recommend. If you have any specific security concerns, please let me know, and I can have a member of the security team hear reach out to you and address those concerns.

• razorsharp
    razorsharp
    Community Member

Thank you very much for your prompt and detailed response.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@razorsharp - on behalf of ag_ana, you're quite welcome! Glad she was able to assist. :)

This discussion has been closed.