Importing Passcard Notes from Roboform

I've just installed the trial version of 1P for Windows (XP). I'm going to be moving to a Mac (Lion) soon and will probably spend a month or so on both my Windows PC and the Mac whilst I get used to the Mac and whilst I slowly transfer stuff over. I use Firefox as my browser and intend to also use it on the Mac. I also have an iPad2 and bought the 1P app. I've got Dropbox so I can hopefully sync to the iPad.

I've been using Roboform for as long as I can remember. I have version 6.10.1. Despite what I've read here and in the FAQ about the Print List feature in v 6.10 not having the "Full URL" checkbox, mine did and it did import all my usernames and passwords into 1P, and imported them all in the same folders I use in RF.

It's imported all Notes from RF passcards, but they don't show in the Notes area of 1P logins. They do, however, show if I click to edit the login, with the name of the field as "Note$" and the note itself as the "Value", "type" is unknown and "designation" is none. Is there any way of getting these notes into the Notes area of the logins?

Also, is there a PDF or other version of the Manual other than online? I tend to find it a PITA to read manuals online I'm afraid! :S

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2011
    Welcome to the forum!

As documented in the user's guide, 1Password for Windows imports only Logins ("passcards," in Roboform lingo), so everything you import goes into the Logins vault or gets ignored (depending on whether 1Password thinks it can parse the incoming data into the fields of a Login item).

1Password for Mac can import Roboform SafeNotes into its Secure Notes vault. If you're moving to a Mac soon, I recommend waiting until you've got your Mac to import the Roboform "print to HTML" output for your SafeNotes into 1Password for Mac. Once it's there, it'll sync to 1Password for Windows just fine.

Speaking of sync'ing, you can share and sync your 1Password data among PCs, Macs, and mobile devices (iOS, Android, and Windows Phone 7) using Dropbox, as described in the following documents.

The "big picture":

Windows-specific instructions:

The 1Password for Windows user's guide is available only in HTML format, either locally (through the Help menu) or online:

• Thank you :)

Ah, I didn't mean Roboform's Secure Notes, I meant the Notes area within each Passcard, same as 1Password has just above the "attachments" area.

Re iPad and Dropbox - I've already done the sync today as I bought the 1P Pro app some time ago in readiness, using the same Print List (to HTML) that I exported from RF into 1P for Windows. Import onto iPad worked fine although I've not yet had time to try logging in anywhere yet.

Re Roboform importing OK into 1P for Mac. In that case, I'm not sure why I thought I'd need 1P for Windows as it seems I might not need the Windows version, as I won't be keeping my Windows PC once fully moved over? Would I be right in thinking that all I'd need to do is keep a latest copy of the Print List HTML file exported from RF (v.6.10) on Windows, and simply copy any (if any) new logins I may make into 1P for Mac once the trial version runs out if I haven't moved over by the time it runs out? Or will that not work and I'd need to have RF on the Mac too? I don't have RF for Mac nor the latest version of RF v.7 for Windows as I got annoyed at their change of pricing policy without notice or warning and having to pay annually.

Reading that last paragraph back, it seems a bit confusing, I hope you understand what I mean...

Re manuals, I still prefer a PDF or even the equivalent of a CHM help file, rather than having to click through pages of a browser... sorry!
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2011
    I'm not sure I do understand.

If you have Roboform 6.x on your PC, use its "print to HTML" function twice: once for your passcards (with the "full URLs" option enabled), once for your safenotes.

The passcards output you can import into 1Password on either a PC or a Mac; the safenotes output you can import into 1Password only on a Mac.

Once they're all imported onto one platform or the other, there's no need for Roboform at all. Just configure Dropbox sync'ing on the Mac, the PC, and all your iOS devices as described in those articles, and you should be set.
    _____

I'm sorry about the user's guide, too. We've made some attempts at creating PDFs from the HTML source, but hypertext and books (even online books, which is all PDFs are) are just too different to single-source. A book makes a lousy help file, and a help file makes a lousy book. We just don't have the resources to maintain two sets of documentation.
  • I actually don't use the Roboform "Safe Notes" feature. I only use the "Notes" area of a passcard for additional notes or reminders, for things like what an old email address was that I used before changing it to a new one, in case I ever need to know. If it helps, I've attached a screenshot of the "Notes" I mean:
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2011

Thanks for confirming that about Dropbox syncing and using it to import into my new Mac when the time comes

At the risk of seeming pedantic, I need to make the point that sync'ing and importing are separate features. Both are available in 1Password, but they're unrelated.

Using Dropbox, you'll be sync'ing your 1Password data with any other computers and devices that are (a) running 1Password and (b) associated with the same Dropbox account.
  • Yes, I know syncing and importing are two quite different features :)

I initially named my topic as I was asking about importing from Roboform into 1Password for Windows. At that stage, I hadn't yet synced with 1Password Pro for iPad.

My question about the "Notes" from Roboform passcards is related to importing them into IP for Windows from Roboform:

It's imported all Notes from RF passcards, but they don't show in the Notes area of 1P logins. They do, however, show if I click to edit the login, with the name of the field as "Note$" and the note itself as the "Value", "type" is unknown and "designation" is none. Is there any way of getting these notes into the Notes area of the logins?
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2011

I initially named my topic as I was asking about importing from Roboform into 1Password for Windows. At that stage, I hadn't yet synced with 1Password Pro for iPad.

My question about the "Notes" from Roboform passcards is related to importing them into IP [1Password] for Windows from Roboform:

At the simplest, you can edit each Login item, copying the text from the Note$ field into the Note field (and then deleting the Note$ field, if you like).
  • archerslo
    edited April 2012
    DBrown wrote:

At the simplest, you can edit each Login item, copying the text from the Note$ field into the Note field (and then deleting the Note$ field, if you like).

As another new RoboForm convert, I came across this thread after encountering the exact same issue reported by BuzzingAlong. With 392 logins imported, it sure would have been nice if 1Password had properly matched RoboForm's Notes field with its own Notes field for each login (rather than assigning them to Note$).

I'm just adding my two cents in case your developers are willing to take this under advisement. It seems like it would be a minor issue to rectify, but what do I know?

Well, I do know that continuing to ensure that your software gives users every ounce of flexibility possible in terms of importing and exporting will help to keep them happy. I hold an bit of resentment for RoboForm at this point.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Welcome to the forums, archerslo! I have never used RoboForm myself, so I'm not sure I have the best grasp of what exactly the issue is. Do you have a sample import file I can see? I'd love to take a look and pass along any necessary details to the developer.

Obviously, please be sure that the file doesn't include any passwords or other sensitive information. You can attach it here or send it to me via PM.

Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.