If I set up MFA, will iOS and Mac apps require it instead of / in addition to the password?

Options
random483
random483
Community Member

I don't want to try without knowing and the videos on your site are not clear. If I enable MFA how will it be used? Will it be only for the website or will it be required for the apps as well? And if it is damaged/lost what happens? Can I enable multiple U2F keys?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:MFA

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @random483!

If I enable MFA how will it be used? Will it be only for the website or will it be required for the apps as well?

It will be required everywhere, website and apps, since 2-Factor Authentication is enabled at the account level.

And if it is damaged/lost what happens?

You will have to make sure to keep backups of your authenticator app and security keys (if you choose to use them). If you are a member of a Families or Business account, you can also use account recovery to disable 2FA. As an emergency measure, you can also get in touch with us should this happen, but the process is slower than if you kept a backup of authentication information in the first place, so that is definitely the best route to go.

Can I enable multiple U2F keys?

Yes.

• random483
    random483
    Community Member
    Options

Hi (don't know how to change my profile name)... OK so when you say it's at the account level, when I add a new app to a phone or Mac, it will ask me for the MFA? How about just when the app starts up, on the phone, let's say to fill in a password or look something up? Does that also require the MFA? I have a family account, but I would put everyone MFA. In that case as long as an administrator hasn't lost their device, they can reset others? Can you confirm then, that the MFA is just used to retrieve the vaults from your cloud, but that the vaults are not encrypted with anything from the MFA, like U2F?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@random483:

OK so when you say it's at the account level, when I add a new app to a phone or Mac, it will ask me for the MFA?

Correct.

How about just when the app starts up, on the phone, let's say to fill in a password or look something up? Does that also require the MFA?

No, only when you add a new device to your account.

I have a family account, but I would put everyone MFA. In that case as long as an administrator hasn't lost their device, they can reset others?

Correct.

Can you confirm then, that the MFA is just used to retrieve the vaults from your cloud, but that the vaults are not encrypted with anything from the MFA, like U2F?

Correct. Your data is encrypted with your Master Password and Secret Key. MFA just adds an additional authentication layer, but does not play any role in the encryption of your data.

This discussion has been closed.