Chrome Extension not working with iCloud vault

Hi,
I may be doing something wrong or maybe I'm overlooking something, however, I can't get the Chrome extension to recognise my vault. I currently sync everything via iCloud between all my devices and it works seamlessly. I upgraded to the latest 1 Password to get this working and it wont.

Am I doing something wrong here or does it not allow you to sync with iCloud?

1Password Version: 7.2.4
Extension Version: 1.13.2
OS Version: 10.14.2
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @stuartmccollum,

The version you reported for the extension tells me you have our 1Password X extension installed. This is a standalone extension designed to bring support for our 1Password accounts to platforms like ChromeOS and Linux where we don't have a native 1Password client. As 1Password X only communicates with our 1Password account server it cannot access any standalone vaults. For standalone vaults you will need our companion extension along with either 1Password for Mac or 1Password for Windows. You can find the links for the companion extension on our "Downloads - 1Password" page. Just below the first link for 1Password for Mac/Windows you will find two sets of links for various browsers. The first set is the companion extension and the one you want with the second set being for 1Password X.

There is something about your question that gives me pause though. Most people writing in about this issue are blocked because 1Password X requires a secret key, something specific to our 1Password accounts but you didn't mention this. That makes me feel like you have a 1Password account and I'm worried about confusion over what it means. The 1Password accounts are a subscription based service where we host your encrypted data. The subscription also means access to the current version of 1Password on all supported platforms. A new account also starts with a 30 day trial where all features are enabled at which point either payment is taken or the account enters a frozen state. As you still have a standalone vault I want to make sure that you wanted a 1Password account and that you understand it is a subscription service. For our longer term users the first steps are creating the account are usually to connect the account to an existing copy of 1Password at which point it would want to migrate your standalone vaults over to the account. If 1Password had done that your vault would be visible from the 1Password X extension as it was now part of the 1Password account.

Hopefully that all made sense and your reply will help me understand what you're looking to do and if we can be of any further assistance in helping that happen.

• stuartmccollum
    stuartmccollum
    Community Member

I was under the understanding that 1PasswordX was the most recent version and that future version wouldn't be released on the Apple App Store etc. I understand that this is a subscription service, however, if you are telling me that there will be future versions release that I can use with icloud sync then I will cancel my subscription.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @stuartmccollum,

1Password 7 for Mac supports both the licence model and the subscription model. 1Password 7 also continues to support sync via iCloud, Dropbox and WLAN sync. What might happen in the future I cannot say. The companion extension is still available for Safari, Firefox and the various supported Chromium based browsers and works as it always has if you've been used to 1Password 6 for Mac. As the companion extension interacts with 1Password for Mac or Windows it uses any vaults part of that copy of 1Password and that is true whether your vaults are part of a 1Password account or standalone vaults.

I hope that helps clarify the situation with 1Password 7, you can learn more about the two methods on our support page Upgrade to 1Password 7 for Mac. If you have any other questions please do let us know.

• jvaleski
    jvaleski
    Community Member

wow that is confusing. too many moving parts... clients... extensions... cloud-based vaults... local vaults... etc. :/

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@jvaleski: there are many variables involved, that's true, but at the end of the day all you need is a client, a vault and a browser extension, which you can configure depending on your exact needs :)

@hannahxx: can you please give us some more details on what happens when you try to use the Chrome browser extension?

• dflowenfels
    dflowenfels
    Community Member

I am having a similar problem... 1Password 7
    Version 7.4.1 (70401002)
    1Password Store
    I use iCloud to sync my vault. I can't get the browser extension to work in Chrome... where/which one do I install?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@dflowenfels:

If your data is in iCloud, you will need the companion extension.

• dflowenfels
    dflowenfels
    Community Member

I installed the companion extension but it's not working. I do have the desktop app installed.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@dflowenfels:

I see that your Chrome browser needs an update (see the red icon with the arrow on the right). Can you please do that and relaunch Chrome first?

• dflowenfels
    dflowenfels
    Community Member

thanks! I updated chrome and reinstalled the 1P plugin. It's working now! :)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are welcome! I am happy to hear this :)

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• odog79
    odog79
    Community Member

Sadly I'm having a similar issue to Stuart above. I have a subscription but the 1Password X Chrome extension is not accessing the iCloud vault. I understand I can be using the stand-alone extension but because I'm paying for the subscription I prefer to use X. When I set it up 1P7 I migrated my existing passwords during onboarding but I'm guessing as I continue to save new passwords, their being saved in iCloud and not via my subscription service. How can I migrate those entries so all my passwords are accessible via the 1Password X Chrome extension? Thanks!

• @odog79

1Password X is unable to access vaults outside of the membership.

To fix this behavior, open the main application and move any missing items from the iCloud vault, to the membership vault of your choosing. Once the data is the same in both locations, remove the Primary vault from the mix.

https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/#set-up-your-other-devices

This discussion has been closed.