vaults merged when upgrading to 1Password 7!

I've been using 1Password since version 3 using a standalone family license and paid for upgrades as necessary (no subscription). I have a laptop that can't update to the latest macOS so I'll continue to run 1Password 6 on it until I get rid of the laptop.

I see you are no longer selling a standalone family license. So when I purchased a new iMac and upgraded it to macOS Catalina, I also downloaded 1Password 7 and purchased a standalone individual license for it. I don't need the features that come with a membership subscription.

I have been keeping two vaults in Dropbox, one for me and one for an elderly family member who is in a nursing home. The first, primary vault is in Dropbox in /Apps/1Password/1Password.opvault. For privacy reasons I'm going to call my elderly family member Jane A Doe. So her vault is in Dropbox in /Apps/1Password/OPJane/JaneADoe.opvault.

When I got 1Password 7 installed, applied the new license and pointed 1Password to Dropbox, all seemed OK at first except all the information from both vaults is showing in the Primary vault and there is no indication anywhere in 1Password 7 that there are actually two vaults! So I can't display the two vaults separately or choose which vault I want information saved to. This is very upsetting.

I did do one experiment. When I first tried to login to discussions.agilebits.com, 1Password told me that your site had been compromised at some point and I should change my password. So I changed my password in 1Password 7 and it synced out fine to my iPhone. I'm afraid to do any more experimenting until I hear back from you folks. I'm nervous about what might happen if I try to change something in 1Password 7 that is supposed to be in the second vault. Will it sync properly? I think it might not. It's obvious 1Password 7 is seeing both vaults but it's not keeping them properly separated as I had originally set them up.

What do I do to correct this situation and get 1Password 7 to handle my information properly?

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.4.1 (70401002) 1Password Sto
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.15.2
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• RichBT
    RichBT
    Community Member

CORRECTION!

It seems that I had inadvertently put some items in my primary vault that should have gone into the second vault. That misled me. I'll have to move those items once I have things configured properly.

So my actual problem is that 1Password 7 doesn't see at all that I have a second vault in Dropbox and I can't find a way to point it to that second vault.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @RichBT!

I want to make sure we are on the same page: inside 1Password 7, if you open 1Password Preferences > Vaults tab, do you currently see one vault or two vaults there?

• RichBT
    RichBT
    Community Member

Just one vault. But then it occurred to me, what if I open a Finder window and double-click on the file for the second vault in Dropbox?

1Password offered to "create" a vault and asked for the vault password which I gave it. What it actually did was give 1Password access to that second vault. I think the wording in that dialog should be changed as it didn't actually create a new vault, just make that second vault accessible.

In any case, I'm good. I'll just move a few things that are in the wrong vault, and double-check that things look good on my other devices.

Thanks for your time.

• Thanks for the update and the feedback @RichBT. Technically the wording is correct. It did create a new vault in 1Password, and that new vault is syncing with the file in Dropbox. But I understand that may not be clear to someone who isn't familiar with how 1Password handles these sorts of things under the hood.

Ben

• RichBT
    RichBT
    Community Member

Thanks Ben. I thought at first it might create an empty new vault, not what I wanted. A rephrasing for the non-techies might be in order.

• There is probably plenty of opportunity for that as we move forward. Thanks for the suggestion. :+1: :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.