How do I use auto login on sites in chrome with 1stPassword?

I'm used to LastPass and in this product that works seamlessly. Please advice.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:chrome auto login

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@hansemanne: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! 1Password doesn't automatically log you into websites; rather, it will fill login information for you only when you tell it to. We don't want it squirting our sensitive data into websites without our permission, after all! You can learn more about how to use it here:

Use the 1Password extension to save and fill passwords on your Mac or Windows PC

And we're here if you have any other questions. Have a great weekend! :)

• jasondunn
    jasondunn
    Community Member

brenty, there used to be an option in the settings that, once you triggered 1Password to put in your username/password, it would log you in automatically from there. I can't seem to find that setting any more and I'm rather confused by that.

• MikeT
    edited September 2018

Hi @jasondunn,

Are you on Windows or macOS?

You are referring to auto-submit, you can find it in 1Password's Browser settings or in 1Password mini's settings.

On Windows, click 1Password icon in your browser, then click Settings icon on bottom left to select Submit Logins.

If you use the main 1Password interface, go to 1Password menu > Settings > Browsers > Automatically sign in after filling usernames and passwords

On macOS, we're phasing out the support for auto-submit because it has been deemed as a potential security risk. We may do the same for Windows in the near future.

• jasondunn
    jasondunn
    Community Member

I'm on macOS and that's really disappointing to hear that it's being removed. :( It saves me a click, which is the entire point of tools like this.

• Hi @jasondunn,

Yep, it's been removed in the latest 1Password 7.2 update as Mojave will no longer permit apps using the accessibility APIs to fake pressing an enter key. It can be abused by malware pressing enter on permission dialogs, so it can be a security concern.

You are still able to press the enter key after filling to submit the form, we are making sure the password field is focused after the filling is done but this feature will not be coming back.

• nickjvturner
    nickjvturner
    Community Member

OK, this is a fairly big issue!

I think this is a mistake (not sure who's) not allowing auto login.
    I guess the next step will be using a 3rd party application like Keyboard Maestro to listen for the 1Password shortcut and then simulate the enter key for me.

1Password you need to communicate this point more publicly! I just subscribed to Family plan, upgraded to 1Password 7, but now I have lost one of the most convenient features that I use daily/hourly and I had to search your support forum to discover the reason that this basic function has been removed.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2018

@nickjvturner: Please read my comments above regarding why 1Password doesn't do anything without user consent.

But I think you're talking about something else that's totally irrelevant here: 1Password for Windows has an autosubmit feature. And this discussion is about 1Password for Windows, in the Windows category of the forum.

If you're curious about 1Password for Mac, as Mike mentioned above, Apple is tightening security and no longer allows scripts to send keystrokes like that. You're welcome to take it up with them, but it isn't something we have any say over. And frankly it's a good idea, and not too difficult to press Return to submit the form, since 1Password goes to the trouble of leaving the password field focused after you have it fill.

But again, that has no bearing on Windows, unless it becomes necessary to do something similar there in the future.

• nickjvturner
    nickjvturner
    Community Member

Hey Brenty.
    I see that yes, I am indeed posting in the Windows category, that is my mistake!
    I am referring to the feature being removed on macOS.
    I understand that the restriction is not coming from 1Password side!
    But please understand I just subscribed and upgraded but now have lost a feature that worked pre-upgrade.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@nickjvturner: I'm sorry for the confusion. Do you you have a question?

• rwagels
    rwagels
    Community Member

Hey
    I am on Windows and Mac. It seems that while there is the option in the Windows App, even on Windows the option doesn't work anymore: I have the Windows 10 App and the 1passwordX extension installed in Chrome. Looks like auto submit doesn't work?
    Thanks
    Rolf

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @rwagels,

1Password X works separately from 1Password 7 and it works entirely in your browser. The setting that you have in 1Password 7 does not affect 1Password X.

Please try to install our companion extension instead of 1Password X and let us know if it works as expected. Thanks! :+1:

++
    Greg

• rwagels
    rwagels
    Community Member

Thanks for getting back to me. I realize that these are separate items, but can you confirm that 1passwordX can't do autosubmit even with Windows?
    Using the companion extension means I am missing out on nice features like the lock to click on in the username/password fields, and a lot more mouse travel to the extension in the toolbar. So I would like to stay with 1passwordX which also feels a lot more modern.

Side question: Why can Dashlane do the autofill and autosubmit even on a mac (at least in Chrome?)
    Thanks
    Rolf

• 1Password X doesn't do autosubmit, @rwagels. And to clarify on autosubmit generally, it's not really a question of can vs. can't. We probably could find a way to autosubmit on Mac. What happened was Apple took away the option to do it the way we had done it in the past. We considered building something new, but decided to instead seize the moment to rip off that band-aid and ditch it.

There are also some fairly significant usability issues with autosubmit. As mentioned, it's pressing the enter key (regardless of how that's accomplished) and if the results of doing that were predictable for all forms, that would be great, but it's just not. The most common example of when autosubmit stinks is when you need to enter additional data 1Password is unable to fill. I've got an account that requires an additional PIN code entered with one of those obnoxious on-screen click keyboards, for example, and I had 1Password submit that Login without that PIN 2 or 3 times before I remembered to disable it for that site. Another I've seen are quasi-two-page forms, where the password field loads automatically after you enter your username. Depending on how fast that field loads, behavior can be totally different based on where focus is. I've had it reload the page, submit incomplete info, and do nothing at all. It also sometimes, though, rarely, lead to data loss when a password change was submitted prematurely when trying to fill an existing password.

Now, for someone like me (and perhaps you too), these things are minor (we understand how to fix them) and many probably aren't going to see these issues at all. For a lot of folks, though, these were annoying and unfixable at best and genuinely alarming at worst. So, we made the decision to get rid of autosubmit entirely. There are definitely those who miss it and we absolutely want to know if you do as this feedback is important to gauge just how many miss it and how much and will undoubtedly inform our choices moving forward. But, I'd also encourage you to try to embrace the enter. It took a few months of testing out 1Password X before its release for me to adjust, but after it got out the door and I went back to my companion extension, I found myself actively choosing to turn autosubmit off.

I think, for me, it was one of those things where I thought I missed it, but after that adjustment period, I really didn't. And it had caused me trouble, so if I can live without it, why not? I definitely don't expect everyone to feel the same way I do, by any means, but I would ask that you try to withhold judgment for a bit. If it really grinds your gears after a while, let me know and I'll make sure your voice is heard. :+1:

• rwagels
    rwagels
    Community Member

Hey
    thanks for your detailed view. My question was not if you can do it, my question was why Dashlane seems to be allowed by Apple to do it while 1Password claims it isn't. I am sure you could do it. But seeing your point regarding usability:

First, both competitors allow you to decide per item if autosubmit is applicable or not. So in you case, you can simply tell the programs, that in this case you just want autofill and no autosubmit. Simple as that. Also, Dashlane only does autosubmit, if all fields are filled. This would also cover your problem.
    I agree that autosubmit can be a problem for some users. The simple solution would be a switch. Enable or disable autosubmit. Done.
    I am afraid I decided against 1Password and pro Dashlane. It's just quicker, easier to use and while I like 1Password as a company and how they present themselves, I feel after testing it is not for me. Pity, the visual design is great and it has some nice features. Overall, Dashlane wins this time, and the main issue is autosubmit indeed.
    Cheers
    Rolf

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@rwagels:

My question was not if you can do it, my question was why Dashlane seems to be allowed by Apple to do it while 1Password claims it isn't. I am sure you could do it.

I believe my colleague bundtkate answered this part in her previous post already. Quoting from it for your convenience:

What happened was Apple took away the option to do it the way we had done it in the past. We considered building something new, but decided to instead seize the moment to rip off that band-aid and ditch it.

I am also sorry to hear that you decided not to use 1Password, but I wanted to thank you for giving it a try! And no matter what you end up choosing, it's important that you use a password manager, even if it's not 1Password.

Stay safe online!

• rwagels
    rwagels
    Community Member

hey ag_ana
    Thanks, I have been using Roboform for over 10 years, and only recently, when I switched to Mac at home, I felt it didn't have the same cool features it has on Windows. So I looked into various directions, and of cause 1 password is big in the Mac World. Love the design, love the family plan! Dashlane was just better in filling those forms in my book.
    Thanks for your reminder of your colleagues answer. This explains it!
    Cheers
    Rolf

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are welcome @rwagels :+1: And thank you for the kind words about 1Password. I hope we will see you around here again some day :)

This discussion has been closed.