WLAN syncing security

Options
serky
serky
Community Member

Hello

I just have a general question re how WLAN sync works (iPad and Mac syncing).

Does 1 Password do any checks to compare the owner of the mobile device with the account being used on the Mac? Or will the sync just run once the WLAN has been set up?

Thanks

1Password Version: iPad 7.4.3 and OSX 6.8.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.14.6 and iPad 13.3
Sync Type: Local WLAN sync

Comments

• DanielP
    DanielP
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@serky:

Your iPad will ask for your WLAN server secret (shown on your Mac) before it starts syncing. Because 1Password generates a secret code when you set up the WLAN server, only devices in your possession can attempt to connect. In that sense it is already verifying ownership, but without looking at the actual user accounts on your devices (I am not even sure that would work, since iOS does not have the same concept of user accounts as macOS has).

• serky
    serky
    Community Member
    Options

OK - I thought that was how it worked but I wanted to confirm. Both my husband and I are syncing to 1Password via WLAN and the same account on the Mac; I did not want to set up an account for him just for 1Password. I was concerned that anyone else would be able to access the data so I wanted to change permissions on the 1Password folder etc. to limit access to just the two of us but it seems that this will not make a difference.

I guess the existing security will be enough ie - someone would first need to 1. get access to the Mac, and 2. get our 1Password master password.

Thanks for your input - please close this call.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On behalf of DanielP, you are welcome! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.