Password Generator Missing

Options
frankantor
frankantor
Community Member

I've avoided dealing with this for many months so don't recall exactly when it changed. However, 'password generator' no longer appears.

1Password Version: 7.4.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX Catalina
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:I'm using 7.4.1 and generate passwords has gone missing. Please help

Comments

• Hey @frankantor

If you need to locate the generate password option from the main screen, on the Mac app, click the "+" beside the search box, and select "Password."
    If that's not the issue, could you provide more detail on where it is you're experiencing this behavior? Anything that may help me help you? Steps I can take to reproduce this behavior?

• frankantor
    frankantor
    Community Member
    Options

My problem is that when I click the + beside the search box and select Password, Generate no longer comes up.

• @frankantor

Ah, thank you, I think I understand now.

When you click the "password" button to your right, you should get the form to fill in your details. That password field is blank, click on the gear icon on the far right side of the screen. The password section will be empty until you click on the gear icon once. Doing this will bring up the generator window. For your reference, I have included a screenshot, as they say, a picture is worth a thousand words. :)

Does this help?

• frankantor
    frankantor
    Community Member
    Options

My problem is that when I click the + beside the search box and select Password, Generate no longer comes up.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@frankantor:

Have you tried clicking on the icon pointed by the arrow in **ag_tommy*'s screenshot above? You will have to do it if you want the generator to come up.

• frankantor
    frankantor
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry this is so difficult for me to clearly explain. Previously, when it 1Password worked for me, when I signed into one of my online accounts and proceeded to change the password, 1Password would pop up with the password generator and enable me to choose the # of characters and whether to include special characters. Now, 1Password doesn't pop up even after logging in to 1 Password. Thank you again.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@frankantor:

It sounds like what you are looking for is the password generator in the 1Password browser extension instead:

If the 1Password popup does not appear on any website, please open 1Password Preferences > Browsers tab, and make sure that the option named Detect new usernames and passwords and offer to save them is enabled.

• frankantor
    frankantor
    Community Member
    Options

Finally, I'm all set. Thanks so much for your help!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You are welcome! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• gregreid
    gregreid
    Community Member
    Options

I found this comment thread and it describes EXACTLY what I'm experiencing too. In "frankantor's" words:

"Previously, when it 1Password worked for me, when I signed into one of my online accounts and proceeded to change the password, 1Password would pop up with the password generator and enable me to choose the # of characters and whether to include special characters. Now, 1Password doesn't pop up even after logging in to 1 Password."

I'm using the 1PasswordX Chrome extension, version 1.17.0. When on a website that requires login, I do see the 1Password icon and can click on it to auto-fill my userid and password. But if I go to that website's "change password" area and use 1Password to generate a new password for me, it's always of the default "Qv~i_yVApkTjUVENR6t=" flavor, which has characters that aren't acceptable in passwords on some websites.

I'm SURE that I used to have an area of the 1PasswordX extension that allowed me to specify the password generation rules, to let me set the length, special characters, separators, etc. I can no longer find that "password generator" area in the extension. I've looked in its settings, etc. I've read the answer above (which seemed to solve it for "rankantor"), but I still am unable to figure it out. :-/

• @gregreid

You can change the recipe in 1Password X > "+" > Password Generator. Are those the controls you were looking for?

• gregreid
    gregreid
    Community Member
    Options

Oh, yes, THERE it is! Thank you!

But why is it in such an obscure place in the 1PasswordX application, I wonder? There ought to be a section in the Settings to choose the default password generator rules for all sites. And then another place to override the generation setting for specific sites. And finally, a right-click way to change the "suggested password" when it pops up, to use my own password generator rules.

Anyway, thanks again, and I can hopefully use this to influence the generated password when I want to change a password on a given website.

Greg

• You're most welcome, if there is anything we can do to assist you, please reach out. I find the one you suggested on right-clicking intriguing, thanks for sharing.

This discussion has been closed.