I want 1Password to give me specific characters from my password

mwleach
mwleach
Community Member
edited January 2020 in Lounge

When logging in to some web sites I am asked for specific character from my password (e.g. 2nd, 5th and 9th). If my password is a word I know and can spell, then I can provide the required characters. However, if my password is generated by 1Password I have to reveal the password (or even display it as large text) and count along the password characters (often multiple times) to find the characters I need to login. Revealing my password on the screen is not great if I am in a public space.

I want 1Password to provide functionality where I specify which characters I need from a password and 1Password displays them.

1Password Version: 7.3.712
Extension Version: 1.17.0
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @mwleach

I think the most recent thread on this subject that is succinct is this one here:

Enter characters 3, 6 and 10 of password — 1Password Forum

Please don't reply to that older thread, but that's where you'll find our perspective on the situation. Thanks.

Ben

• mwleach
    mwleach
    Community Member

Ben, thank you for the link to the other conversation. Despite referencing the large type feature in my question I have used it so infrequently that I did not realise it included the character position below each character. While I still have reservations about using the large type feature is public spaces, having the character positions displayed will make logging in easier when specific characters are required.

• You're very welcome @mwleach. :+1:

Ben

This discussion has been closed.