Shortcuts in the app - suggestion

Options
Narius
Narius
Community Member

On my iphone, when I go to fill out new fields, at least my email address comes up as a usable fill-in. TextExpander is blocked within the app, but I still wish (expressed this before) that the app had a short-list of items that could be filled with shortcuts. If it were available, I'd use my email address as one, possibly a second or third email address, the https:// prefix, etc. Once you start using these tools, you don't want to go back. And I so wish 1p would somehow accommodate this space - even if they were stored items within the app that could be quickly reproduced.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Narius!

TextExpander is blocked within the app, but I still wish (expressed this before) that the app had a short-list of items that could be filled with shortcuts.

Can you please give us some examples of how you would use such a feature? I would have suggested to use the 1Password browser extension to do this, since it fills your fields on webpages, but I think you might be referring to something different. Knowing your use case would help us give you some suggestions.

• Narius
    Narius
    Community Member
    Options

If I'm in 1p as an app on my Mac, I regularly have to fill in certain details. My email is a classic example, often being my login. But I have a couple of emails, and use TextExp to fill them for me. However, in 1P, TE is blocked. So if I start a new login from within the app, to complete my email address I can't use the shortcut. I never thought of using cmd-shift-\ which does bring up 1p, but then you have to navigate to find the email etc. Way too many steps.
    So if I can't have access to things outside the app (apart from copy/paste), it would be nice to have them available within the app. Does that make more sense?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I see what you mean now @Narius. Thank you for taking the time to clarify.

So if I start a new login from within the app, to complete my email address I can't use the shortcut.

Have you considered creating new logins from the browser instead? I personally never create logins directly in the app: I go to the website where I want to login, enter my credentials, and let 1Password prompt me to save them for me. This way, you can use your TE snippets to fill your email address on the website, without being blocked.

Would that work for you?

• Narius
    Narius
    Community Member
    Options

Maybe. Sometimes. But not always I'm sure. Which is why I've always thought it would be great to have it built in. On iOS, your email appears above the letters of the keyboard, so that's easily selectable. But not on the Mac. So would still like to see it in the app as an option. Somehow. Even if there were, like, 10 or 5 pre-fillable slots that could be automated in, set up by 1P. I'm not a coder, so I don't know. It's my wishlist.

• Narius
    Narius
    Community Member
    Options

I just had that right now, where I was logging into a site, and needed to generate a pw. Best option was to go into 1p, create the entry and the new pw there. Didn't want to risk losing the webpage to a mistake, since it was a create-new-pw situation, and with some of those, you only get one shot without having to go back to the start. The app was the safer place for me to work.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for taking the time to share your wishes with us @Narius :) We will keep your feedback in mind :+1:

This discussion has been closed.