I want to print all my 1PW (7.4.1) except for those PW sitting my ""trash" -

tuni12
tuni12
Community Member

I 'm using families (1PW 7.4.1). I want to print a list of all my 1PW in my vault but don't want to print those that I"m keeping in my Trash (I need to keep those for awhile). How can I print them all except for those i the trash?

1Password Version: 7.4.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSmojave
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:[I need to print all my 1PW (1PW 7.4.1 - I want to print all my PW except for those in my "trash"](https://discussions.agilebits.com/search?Search=I need to print all my 1PW (1PW 7.4.1 - I want to print all my PW except for those in my "trash")

Comments

• Hi @tuni12

I'd be interested to hear what your use case is. What would be the purpose of the printout?

We typically recommend against printing 1Password data. The type of information stored in 1Password tends to be fairly dynamic which means frequent printing is required in order to keep a paper copy up to date. In addition strings of text stored can be quite long (e.g. URLs, long passwords). It just isn't very efficient. Some folks seem to think that a paper copy is going to be a good backup solution, but can you imagine actually restoring your data from scratch that way? I don't know about you but I've got over 1000 items. My fingers would bleed before I got everything typed back in, not to mention the time that would be required to do that.

Please let us know. Knowing the situation may help us better direct you to a feasible solution.

Ben

• tuni12
    tuni12
    Community Member

Ben its a tremendous amount of work and paper used , but DH does not use my MBPro and if something should happen to me, he would need to use my passwords to get into our stuff. Therefore we prefer to have the paper copy available. Pls provide me with a method to print just my active passwords.
    Thx

• It really seems that DH accessing 1Password in such an event would be a more efficient solution, but if you're settled on printing... the print option we offer is the one under File > Print. Alternatively, you can select the items you want to print, right click, select share, and then select print.

How can I print them all except for those i the trash?

I would also suggest that the trash is not the best place for things you want to keep. :)

Ben

• tuni12
    tuni12
    Community Member

Ben, so you're saying, I think, it can't be done. sigh....obviously I can't go through each one and print it. Would take me the rest of this century. the only reason I'm keeping PW in the trash is because of all the trouble I had in updating to Version 7. I found I had to use Safari and access my passwords through that instead of Firefox since no one could really assist me with the update process. I'm afraid to delete those that I use for Safari - yes, they are the same passwords but apparently I could only access through the mini - certain passwords and apps....too confusing to go through all this again here on the board. Suffice it to say, I need to print the passwords as cumbersome as it may be. I would think there should be a way to only print some of them and not all. Is this something the techies at Agilebits would consider working on???? thx

• Ben
    Ben
    edited January 2020

@tuni12

You can already do that using these instructions I posted:

Alternatively, you can select the items you want to print, right click, select share, and then select print.

You can select any number of items and then print just those selected items that way. :) Beyond that I don't imagine we're going to put further efforts toward printing at this point.

Ben

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@tuni12 - don't forget, you can also export the selected items as CSV and print from a spreadsheet.

All the caveats mentioned by Ben apply - your CSV export file is not encrypted on disk, so securely delete and beware that any malware that may be present on the system may have access to the file.

• tuni12
    tuni12
    Community Member

Mr. C -
    exporting the items as CSV onto a spread sheet might not take as much paper....? I'll take a look at that option. I know I have many, many that need to go onto hard copy, how to do that best (using the least amount of paper) is the issue - often its about 64 pages back and front because of all the "useless" extra stuff that is printed. If I could avoid that, just to get the password, and site or link address, that's what would work best....sigh. Its doesn't make sense to me that no else has or has had this need...

thx

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@tuni12

How about in some format such as:

or even simplier:

• tuni12
    tuni12
    Community Member

Appears to be able to include what i would need but how to get them all in a useable and printable format? I see no options in 1pw other then “print” and then it prints everything (including old/former passwords etc....i have on each log on page. Waaay too much info to be useful, inefficient and uses reams of paper. How could this be made useful?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@tuni12

The 1Password folks have mentioned over the years they don't plan on adding additional printing capabilities.

So I developed a means to format a converted 1Password 1PIF export. I created several sample formatters, two of which you see above. These are both generated using different formatters for the onepif converter, part of the converter suite. They generate HTML, which you can open in a browser and print to a printer, PDF, or whatever.

Download the converter suite, and follow the directions in the README.html.

You'll want to select in 1Password the items you want printed, export those as 1PIF. The two formatters I used above are html_compact and html_simplelogins.

I'm happy to help if you need it. We can take it offline if you wish - my email is at the top of the convert.pl file.

This discussion has been closed.