macOS: How to keep main app window hidden after unlocking vault

Options
andy706543
andy706543
Community Member

In 1Password 7 for Mac: When I fill in a password into a browser using Cmd-\ and use TouchID to unlock my vaults, the main app's window comes into focus. Is there a way to prevent it from showing? For example, if I have someone looking over my shoulder, then suddenly they can see a window's worth of saved items (passwords are concealed but websites or titles of Secure Notes are shown). If 1Password is already unlocked, then invoking Cmd-\ to fill in a browser login does not show the main app. This would be the preferred behavior.
Thanks

1Password Version: 7.4.1
Extension Version: 7.4.1
OS Version: 10.14.6
Sync Type: 1Password Subscription
Referrer: forum-search:window focus

Comments

• Hey @andy706543

As far as I know, that Touch ID prompt is a requirement from macOS itself. But what you could do, assuming you were aware that you'd be in an environment where shoulder surfing is an issue, is unlock 1Password for Mac in advance of needing it. 1Password itself is relatively flexible when it comes to how long it'll stay unlocked, and as you said, once it's been unlocked, filling is a bit more seamless when using keyboard shortcuts.

You can unlock 1Password for Mac and head into Preferences --> Security to set the rules for when 1Password will automatically lock. That should allow you to unlock 1Password in advance, preventing the need to use Touch ID and have 1Password mini appear in a crowded area. You could also give 1Password X a shot if you use Firefox or Google Chrome, since that works a bit differently than the 1Password extension and may be more to your liking in this regard.

• andy706543
    andy706543
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the suggestions. I wasn't worried about the Touch ID prompt becoming visible, I just don't like that the main app window comes into focus (in my opinion, for no reason since the fields were filled in via 1Password mini). And although your suggestion to remember to unlock the main app ahead of time works, I don't always remember (since it locks when it sleeps, etc.). But you inspired me to try a workaround - if I minimize the main app or put it on another Mission Control desktop, then it doesn't pop into focus when I unlock 1Password mini. So I still need to be conscious to do these things but it gets closer to my preferred behavior. Thanks!

• On behalf of Zatara214 you're welcome.

Thats a great work around you devised, I may need to borrow it for my bag of tricks. :)

• Yoms
    Yoms
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

That said, I'd like very much OP's initial question to be answered. As he pointed it, the answer given by Zatara did not concern the behaviour he - and I - observed.

Why does the main 1Password window show up? I recently switched from 1Password 6 and that definitely wasn't the case. The issue is not only shoulder surfing, but also in terms of work space, I have this window that I have to reduce because it's useless. I just wanted to log in using Safari's extension, not calling the main 1Password window. It looks like a regression to me as it was not in 1Password 6.

Thanks,

This discussion has been closed.