Is there a way to change my master password without losing all current logins

denniswherry
denniswherry
Community Member

I think there is a possibility that my iPad has been hacked. I want to change my Master Password without having to go through creating new logins in a new version of 1Password

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search: Is there a way to change my master password without losing all my logins

Comments

• DanielP
    DanielP
    1Password Alumni

@denniswherry:

Sorry to hear about your iPad. You can certainly just change your Master Password if you wish. However, what you should do in response to this would depend on what type of hacking you think you suffered: other than suspecting that your iPad has been hacked, as you wrote, do you actually have reason to believe that your 1Password data has been accessed by someone else?

Because if you think that someone has accessed your 1Password data and made a copy of it, changing your Master Password won't be enough, and you should change your account passwords as well, starting from the most sensitive ones (such as financial and health logins, for example).

It should be noted that, if you have a 1Password Membership, we send out a notification email every time there is a login to your 1Password account from a new device. So if you have a 1Password Membership, and you have not receive any such emails, you could just change your Master Password if you have reason to believe someone might have gotten hold of your 1Password credentials.

• denniswherry
    denniswherry
    Community Member

Thank you DanielP. I am a silver surfer who is quite confused with modern facilities and I only think this because I recently received an email which told me that a sum of money had been transferred into my account. I haven’t taken any steps to contact the creator as I assume that it is a scam but to be sure I just thought I would change my MP however I thought that I would have to delete my 1Password completely and start all over again. My worry is that my memory is shot and I worry that I wouldn’t remember all my logins!

• DanielP
    DanielP
    1Password Alumni

@denniswherry:

I recently received an email which told me that a sum of money had been transferred into my account.

Ah yes, I get those on a daily basis myself :) I never received real money though, unfortunately.

These messages are normally marked as spam automatically, but some of them slip through every now and then. You can most certainly ignore them and delete them.

I haven’t taken any steps to contact the creator as I assume that it is a scam

You did the right thing not contacting them back, as it is most likely a scam. And even if the message did look reasonably legitimate, you can always contact your bank for confirmation.

I thought that I would have to delete my 1Password completely and start all over again. My worry is that my memory is shot and I worry that I wouldn’t remember all my logins!

This is definitely not the case, so don't worry about that. As I wrote in my previous message, if all you want to do is change your Master Password, you can do that quite easily without having to update any other login, or delete the 1Password app.

From what you wrote however, I don't see how 1Password could have been involved here: what you received really just looks like a spam email to me.

• denniswherry
    denniswherry
    Community Member

Thanks for your input DanielP.

• DanielP
    DanielP
    1Password Alumni

You are very welcome :) We are here should you have any other questions.

This discussion has been closed.