How to handle deceased family members account?

Options
gatoririshman
gatoririshman
Community Member

Hello folks - New user here and currently setting up family account. My need for a family account is as follows: I want each adult family member to have their own personal vault to store each of their pertinent info that only they have access to (I understand this naturally happens). If something happens to one of them, I want to be able to get access to their vault so it is easier to deal with. My father in law just passed away, and all his are locked away on a laptop (you guessed it - only he has password). My question is: If a family member passes away, how does the organizer get access to that family member's personal vault? I assume the same emergency kit? - If we could add that to the vault, it would solve my main issue. Is there also a safeguard set up so that the deceased family member is alerted that the organizer (or anyone else really) is getting access? I'd like to know all of this so when setting them up I can be honest about what I can see and what might be necessary in the future. Thank you!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:family member dies

Comments

• williakz
    williakz
    Community Member
    Options

Great questions! Attaching myself to this thread for notifications of responses.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @gatoririshman! Welcome to the forum!

My question is: If a family member passes away, how does the organizer get access to that family member's personal vault? I assume the same emergency kit?

That is correct: the idea of the Emergency Kit is so that the owner of the account has all the information necessary to login to their account. If you decide to share your Emergency Kit with a family member that you trust, they will be able to access your account in case of emergency.

If we could add that to the vault, it would solve my main issue.

Yes, you can certainly add your Emergency Kit to the vault.

Is there also a safeguard set up so that the deceased family member is alerted that the organizer (or anyone else really) is getting access?

Every time there is a new login to your 1Password account from a new device, we send you a notification email with information about this login. So if you were to access someone else's account with their Emergency Kit, they would immediately receive an alert.

This discussion has been closed.