TouchID with Microsoft Edge Chromium

I’ve tested 1Password X Beta and 1Password on macOS with Google Chrome, no issues. I installed the same 1Password X Beta plugin, from the Google Chrome store, in Microsoft Edge, but unlocking 1Password on macOS does not unlock 1Password X in Edge (but does in Chrome). I know Edge is beta and most likely not officially supported by 1Password. I just wanted to point this out to the team.

1Password Version: 7.3.2 BETA-0
Extension Version: 1.16.5
OS Version: macOS 10.14.5
Sync Type: 1Password for Families

Comments

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Hey there @dreinidaho! Thanks for pointing this out. You're right, Edge is still in beta, and it won't work with Desktop App Integration quite yet. That's because we haven't added the code signature to 1Password for Mac. It's on our radar, though. I'd expect us to wait for Microsoft to get a bit further on the development of the new Chromium Edge. Stay tuned. :)

• kathampy
    kathampy
    Community Member
    edited July 2019

How come you supported Edge Dev on Windows already? Is there something about Edge Dev on macOS that breaks the 1Password desktop extension?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@kathampy: We don't support prerelease browsers on any platform. If they work, great. And we make an effort not to break things. But with things being in flux so much with non-stable releases, it's not something we can officially support. The new Edge on Windows was released much earlier than it was on macOS, and code signature checks work completely differently on each platform. I suspect we will support both in time, but it's too early to tell. A lot could change before the first stable release of either. Heck, a year ago we all though Microsoft was sticking with an entirely different (though similarly-named) browser. We'll see how things develop. :)

• adamJ
    adamJ
    Community Member

Is adding the code signature a really big deal?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@adamJ: Adding a code signature is relatively trivial. It's vetting each browser that's a time-consuming and ongoing process.

• dreinidaho
    dreinidaho
    Community Member

Thank you @kaitlyn and @brenty. I’d close my topic but I can’t. :) You’ve answered my questions. I look forward to it working in the final release of Microsoft Edge chromium in macOS. Thanks for the good work 1P. I’ve been a loyal fan since 2006.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of kaitlyn and brenty, you are welcome @dreinidaho! And thank you for the kind words :)

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• Lukas S.
    Lukas S.
    Community Member

@ag_ana @brenty @kaitlyn I would respectfully ask you to reconsider the decision to not support Edge Chromium on macOS, not even in the beta versions of 1PW 7 and 1PW X.
    It seems that with Edge Chromium on Windows, you chose to add support - even for the regular extension ~a month and a half after its initial release, see https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/506687/#Comment_506687
    For macOS, it has been over 2 months now since the initial release of the Edge Chromium preview builds and just anecdotally, it has been perfectly stable enough to use it as my daily browser for several weeks now.

Thanks in advance, I'm just looking to get the best 1Password experience possible in my browser of choice :chuffed:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Lukas S.: Edge is signed. Chromium is not. That's the difference. There is no way for 1Password to verify that Chromium is Chromium, and that it hasn't been tampered with. I suspect we'll support the new Edge once it receives a final release, but the way that code signing (and therefore code signature verification) works is very different between platforms. So it's not like we can even use the methods we are on Windows. Looking forward to seeing how Edge shapes up -- on both Windows and macOS -- but in the mean time the 1Password desktop app supports many other (non-prerelease) browsers. And 1Password X works just fine anyway. You should try it. ;)

• Lukas S.
    Lukas S.
    Community Member

@brenty Just to double check that I understand correctly: You're saying that Edge Chromium on Windows is signed where as Edge Chromium on macOS, it is not?

I am indeed already using 1Password X in the meantime but with two different profiles and the lack of Touch ID, constant unlocking is a bit of a pain point which is why I'm trying so hard to get you to support Edge Chromium with the desktop app 😊

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Lukas S.: Sorry, I'll try to clarify:

Chromium is an open source project, and isn't intended for broad distribution like Chrome, so Google does not sign it.

Others use the Chromium source as a base for their own browsers, such as Brave, Vivaldi, [others I'm forgetting at the moment], and more recently Edge.

Organizations building their own browsers from Chromium (Google is technically one as well) sign it when distributing it so their users can confirm its source and that it has not been modified what what they actually shipped.

1Password uses this code signature as a way to also programatically do the same: verify that the browser is from a known, original source (not unknown and/or tampered with).

However, Windows and macOS are completely different in 1) how apps are actually structured in the first place, 2) how codesigning works, and 3) how verification can be done. The only thing that's the same between the two platforms in this regard is nothing to do with the platform itself, but rather the fact that the organization doing the signing at the beginning (the browser vendor) is generally using a single known certificate everywhere. Everything else that comes after is functionally different, though the goal is the same.

So, to summarize, Microsoft signs Edge; but Edge is not complete and subject to change, so we don't officially support it -- but are hoping to once it's done...though a lot depends on how Microsoft ends up doing things with regard to certification of extensions for Edge, which is still up in the air (or, at least, not publicly documented).

• jeffreyh
    jeffreyh
    Community Member
    edited August 2019

I understand the agile bits position, but most of your competition has already released a edge specific extension. When I look at
    https://microsoftedge.microsoft.com/insider-addons/category/EdgeExtensionsPasswordManagers?hl=en-us
    I see at least 12 password manager plugins including lastpass and dashlane that already provide edge specific support and have for some weeks. It is a little disappointing that 1password which used to move the quickest for cool new things is now moving very slowly.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jeffreyh: We've supported the current version of Edge in 1Password for Windows for years now:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/1password/9wzdncrdr64j?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

The new Chromium-based Edge Microsoft is developing, on the other hand, is the topic of this discussion. We're working with Microsoft to have 1Password available for it once there's a submission process for the new Microsoft Edge Addons store in place, probably when the new browser is launched. :)

• jeffreyh
    jeffreyh
    Community Member

My comment and link were related to the new Chromium-based Edge. There seems to already be a submission process as a lot of plugins are already available for the new browser (Note the insider-addons in the link, I believe that is the URL for the new Chromium-based extensions).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2019

There is not a submission process for new extensions yet. But as I mentioned we're planning to submit 1Password as soon as a formal review process is opened up. Meanwhile, 1Password already works with Edge in the following configurations:

Cheers! :)

• kathampy
    kathampy
    Community Member
    edited August 2019

Edge (Chromium) is now in beta. It supports Windows Hello to login to a Microsoft account. Windows Hello is now FIDO2 certified as well. Perhaps there is a secure workflow to use this feature to unlock 1Password X.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@kathampy – It's something that's on our radar. We did recently introduce Desktop App Integration on macOS which allows for something similar on the Mac side of things. We're hoping to bring the technology to Windows as well, but we're still working out the kinks. It's good to know that you'd be interested, though! :chuffed:

• nosillacast
    nosillacast
    Community Member

Microsoft released Edge for real, right on schedule on January 15th so I'm hoping Touch ID integration is right around the corner for 1Password? I know, it's only been 4 days, but we love our 1Password!

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2020

Thanks for reaching out, @nosillacast. Our Mac team should be adding the code signature for the stable version of Edge in the next 1Password for Mac beta update. Right now, the beta version of Edge will still be supported as it was previously. Keep an eye out for an update for the 1Password for Mac beta! :)

Edit: I just wanted to make sure it's extra clear to everyone that Desktop App Integration is still only available with the 1Password X beta as well as the 1Password for Mac beta. The release of Edge doesn't change anything in that regard.

• nosillacast
    nosillacast
    Community Member

Sweet, @kaitlyn. I'm liking Edge but until 1Password is fully integrated, there's really no point, right? :-)

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

What a perfect answer, @nosillacast! I couldn't have said it any better myself. :lol:

This discussion has been closed.