1Password Family and Local Dropbox Private Vault

Headelf
Headelf
Community Member

Before moving to a 1Password.com for Families subscription I used 1P v6 5 user license on my Mac as well as the iOS versions. My passwords synced via Dropbox as did my husbands and mothers who I shared my license with. I started a 1Password families membership and added it to my Mac and iOS device and invited my husband. We’ve both setup our Macs and iOS devices. Here’s my problem, on my Mac I can unlock my vaults using my 1Password families password but my iOS devices have to use my old password. The same thing is happening for my husband. The problem with this is that any new passwords saved end up in our old Primary vaults and have to be manually moved to the correct vault. I’m assuming to fix this we need to delete our private vaults. I was able to do this on my iPhone but my iPad is giving me grief. I have my mother’s Dropbox vault attached to my iPad, I don’t want to add her to my 1Password families account as I think that might confuse her (see’s 85 and easily confused). When I click on Primary vault to delete it I see the message in the attached photo. Does this mean I have to delete her vault first? Is there a way around this as I need access to her passwords so I can pay her bills and do other things for her that she also needs to access.

TIA for your response.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Headelf!

Here’s my problem, on my Mac I can unlock my vaults using my 1Password families password but my iOS devices have to use my old password.

This is indeed because your iOS devices still have a Primary vault, unlike your Mac. The way 1Password unlocks is:

• If a Primary vault exists, then it unlocks using the Master Password for that vault, regardless of what, if any, memberships are signed in
    • If a single 1Password membership is signed in, then it unlocks using the Master Password for that membership account
    • If multiple memberships are signed in, then it unlocks using the Master Password of the first added membership

These are each exclusive scenarios. For example, if multiple memberships are signed in, you cannot unlock 1Password using the Master Password of the second account that was added.

If you are using a 1Password membership we generally recommend removing the Primary vault.

The problem with this is that any new passwords saved end up in our old Primary vaults and have to be manually moved to the correct vault.

This can be easily changed under 1Password Settings > Vaults > All Vaults > Vault for Saving, so you don't have to manually move your items anymore :)

When I click on Primary vault to delete it I see the message in the attached photo. Does this mean I have to delete her vault first? Is there a way around this as I need access to her passwords so I can pay her bills and do other things for her that she also needs to access.

I think in your case the easiest solution would be to simply change the default vault for saving. However, if you want to delete your Primary vault altogether, you will need to remove all other standalone vaults too (the Primary vault can only be removed once every other standalone vault has been removed).

• Headelf
    Headelf
    Community Member

Hi thanks for the reply. I have changed to vault to save to on my iPad. Hopefully that alleviates my saving problems.

• Headelf
    Headelf
    Community Member

One other question. Should I decide to add my mother to 1Password Families other than her putting all her passwords in a shared vault it there a way for me to see her Private vault in my list of vaults so I can access her passwords?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Headelf:

The Private vault can only be accessed by the owner of the vault. If you want to access all your mother's items, you will have to use a shared vault.

This discussion has been closed.