Tweak save and fill functionality?

Options
macserv
macserv
Community Member
edited January 2020 in 1Password in the Browser

I use the Password Generator tool in 1PW in Safari A LOT. But the only way I can quickly put the new password in my clipboard (with minimal clicks) is to hit Save and Fill. I then enter the site and the normal 1PW "save login" dialog box pops up and allows me to save the entry. But as a result of using this method, I now have a sea of stand alone password-only entries in 1 Password. It's confusing and messy. To add insult to injury, if I click into one of those password-only entries in an attempt to convert it to a full login, I don't see the "Convert to Login" button until after I've clicked Edit, then hit Cancel. Seems like a bug, as the button quickly appears and then disappears as I transition to the Edit window.

1Password Version: 7.4.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.15.2
Sync Type: Teams

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @macserv! Welcome to the forum!

To add insult to injury, if I click into one of those password-only entries in an attempt to convert it to a full login, I don't see the "Convert to Login" button until after I've clicked Edit, then hit Cancel.

Can you please double check this? If you are using 1Password for Mac version 7.4.1, as you wrote in your first post, you should see the Convert to Login button at the top of the item window, without needing to edit the item first:

• macserv
    macserv
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ana, no need to double check, I know this behavior well. It occurs in both Safari and Chrome on my macOS 10.15.2 MBP. As far as I can recall, it happened previously under Mojave 10.14 as well. The larger issue to me is, why have to do things this way in the first place if the normal "save login" dialog will appear in the next step anyway... It's actually more clicks to 1. dismiss the save login dialog, 2. go back to the password entry in 1PW and get it into Convert to Login mode, and 3. type or copy/paste the username into the blank field. Just give me another button to Copy to Clipboard (in addition to the Save and Copy button). Maybe code it so a modifier key can flip the button between Save & Copy and Copy to Clipboard (with a setting in Preferences that allows you to choose the default option)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2020
    Options

@macserv:

no need to double check, I know this behavior well. It occurs in both Safari and Chrome on my macOS 10.15.2 MBP.

Indeed, from what you wrote, I think it was worth asking to double check, because I think we are looking at two different things. I am looking at the 1Password for Mac app, while I think you are looking at the browser extension, since you wrote:

It occurs in both Safari and Chrome on my macOS 10.15.2 MBP.

Do you see the Convert to Login button in the 1Password for Mac desktop app (not in the browser)?

If you don't, can you share with us the exact steps you are following to make this happen so we can try to reproduce the issue here? Things are working fine for me here, so I would like to see if you are following a different procedure that is causing this.

• macserv
    macserv
    Community Member
    Options

Ah yes, I neglected to make that clear. Yes, I am referring to the browser extensions in both Safari and Chrome. I can try to do a screen capture so you can see the behavior in action...

• macserv
    macserv
    Community Member
    Options

And yes, within the actual 1PW Mac app, I see the Convert to Login button as expected.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @macserv,
    The button was meant to only show up in the 1Password 7 desktop app, so it is as it should be.

If you wish to clean up your 1Password app/extension from all the standalone password items that were automatically generated when you clicked on "save and fill", you can do so easily with a built-in feature:
    1. Open the 1Password 7 desktop app.
    2. Click the "Help" menu on the top menu bar of your Mac.
    3. Select the "Tools" sub-menu and select "Remove redundant generated passwords".

That will remove all of these passwords items that were created by the generator, just make sure there's nothing important there that you haven't saved in a login yet.

• macserv
    macserv
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you Yaron. I still don't understand why we need to create these password entries to begin with, but I'm grateful for the tool. Sadly, it only removes password entries where the passwords are redundant (with full login credentials). After trying this, I still have a ton of password-only entries that I had to remove by hand in the app.

• Hey @macserv. This is likely fixed in our latest beta release of 1Password for Mac. We had this fix go out:

Fixed an issue with saving updated logins via the extension that could result in generated password items not being deleted upon updating an existing login. {#4497}

Care to give it a spin and let us know if the problem persists?

https://support.1password.com/betas/?mac

This discussion has been closed.