Possibility of installing Windows desktop app on 2-3 computers with same secret key / emergency kit?

NECellist
NECellist
Community Member

I am trying out 1P with the hopes of using it for our family. What I would like to do, instead of waiting until my demise to share the entire vault of passwords, I'd like to install the Windows desktop app on my wife's computer and on my son's computer - now while I'm here - so that if something happens to me they already have the information they would need to work through anything. Since I trust my wife and my adult son, I'd like them to have the data now and know what's going on with websites we use, bank info, etc.

Is it possible to have 2 or 3 desktops that all share an entire data set - that are essentially clones of the original?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Win10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @NECellist! Welcome to the forum!

Possibility of installing Windows desktop app on 2-3 computers with same secret key / emergency kit?

This is possible, however if those computers belong to different people I would not be doing that, and I would invite your family members to your account instead, and use shared vaults to share your data.

Otherwise you would have data belonging to three different people in the same account, and everyone would be forced to share everything with everyone else.

• NECellist
    NECellist
    Community Member

I'm very happy to hear this is technically possible. Given your answer, I may not include my adult son...but certainly I wanted to include my wife, since all our info is shared and I want her to have no problems whatsoever in case something either incapacitates me or finishes me off.

Is there anything, procedurally, I would need to do in order to have two computers - both of which will be in our one house - using the exact same credentials...and, therefore, sharing the same data set?

• @NECellist

Is there anything, procedurally, I would need to do in order to have two computers - both of which will be in our one house - using the exact same credentials...and, therefore, sharing the same data set?

No. If you sign in with the same credentials you'd essentially be the same person as far as 1Password is concerned.

Given your answer, I may not include my adult son..

What would be the reason for that? Each person you invite to your membership gets their own set of credentials for 1Password as well as their own Private vault, which nobody else can see. Additionally any number of shared vaults can (optionally) be shared with them. You're really not getting any benefit from 1Password Families over an individual membership if you're only going to have one person/account within the membership.

Ben

• NECellist
    NECellist
    Community Member

Ben, the reason for excluding my adult son (who does not live with us) would be based on the answer given above by ag_ana that "you would have data belonging to three different people in the same account, and everyone would be forced to share everything with everyone else" and I would not want either to (a) force our son into sharing our info, or (b) putting him in the position of sharing his own info with us (assuming that as a 25 y.o. he would like to have his privacy). My wife and I share everything, so the two of us sharing the whole data set is no problem; she is technically challenged enough she will stay away from anything she doesn't personally need.

My real interest in your family plan was to provide a good way to save not only passwords, but much other information, digitally. I want to provide a digital "safe" for everything to be stored, and one that will be easy to access when either I and/or my wife shed this earthly coil. So, the requirement is to provide a way for her to access the info if I'm unable to, and for our son (who is a data scientist and very computer capable) to assist her since she is not technically inclined...and, if necessary, for our son to have access to everything, in the event we are both unable to deal with things.

I assumed the family plan would be a good bet....but perhaps not? I'll take a look at the personal version, but I figured that if I had that for $2.99/mo and she had an account for $2.99/mo that's approx. $6/mo...whereas the family plan is $5/mo. Don't mean to be cheap, but we're about 60 and needing to economize as we prepare to retire.

That said, I'm totally open to hearing if there's a reason for me and my wife to each have our own personal plans. This is new to me, so I don't assume I know it all, and would definitely appreciate your advice if I'm missing something. If there is a reason it would be advantageous for us each to have a personal plan, I'm totally willing to do that and would happily pay whatever the cost.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@NECellist:

If you and your wife want to share everything, but you still want your son to have his privacy, have you considered using a Families account with two users, one for you and your wife, and one for your son?

• NECellist
    NECellist
    Community Member

Thank you ag_ana, this sounds like what would work well for us. I appreciate all the answers 1P has provided here.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are welcome! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• NECellist
    NECellist
    Community Member

You as well, thank you!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

:+1: :)

This discussion has been closed.