To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

1P 7 install stops...no secret key

Options
scooten19
scooten19
Community Member

I finally decided to sign up for a subscription. I clicked the install but it stops while checking my system for compatibility or whatever and the bullet highlighted is 'Quit 1Password' and nothing happens. Greyed out below it is the next step which would be 'Install 1P'. I am on a 2015 MacBook Pro OS Catalina (10.15.2). I received an email after I signed up with my name and new password saying I am signed up and that I need the app. Clicking on the link to install the app takes me to a page where I need to provide email, master pass and secret key. I have not received any secret key. At the bottom of same email is a notice to print an "Emergency Kit' with my secret key but I am presented with the same request for email, master pas and the secret key. Please advise

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.15.2
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @scooten19

I clicked the install but it stops while checking my system for compatibility or whatever and the bullet highlighted is 'Quit 1Password' and nothing happens. Greyed out below it is the next step which would be 'Install 1P'.

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble. 1Password cannot be updated while it is running. It has to be quit completely before a new version can be installed. You can completely quit 1Password by opening it and then pressing Control + Option + Command + Q (⌃⌥⌘Q). Then you should be able to proceed with the installation.

I received an email after I signed up with my name and new password saying I am signed up and that I need the app. Clicking on the link to install the app takes me to a page where I need to provide email, master pass and secret key. I have not received any secret key. At the bottom of same email is a notice to print an "Emergency Kit' with my secret key but I am presented with the same request for email, master pas and the secret key. Please advise

The Secret Key is held by whatever app you used to sign up. For example, if you signed up in a web browser, that browser will hold your Secret Key. If you signed up using one of the 1Password apps, then that app will hold it. If you signed up using the 1Password for Mac app you'll be able to retrieve your Secret Key from it:

• Open and unlock 1Password.
    • Choose 1Password > Preferences.
    • Click the Accounts icon, then select your account.
    • Click your Secret Key to copy it. Or click “Set up other devices” to see your Setup Code.

(steps from our Find your Secret Key or Setup Code guide)

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.