Mac App crashes when selecting Firefox during open and fill

Options
cpedro
cpedro
Community Member

I just recently signed up and installed 1Password on my Mac. My default browser is Firefox. When I click on 'open and fill' from the app, a Finder Application chooser windows opens up and says "In order to continue with your go and fill operation, pick Firefox.app below." I select Firefox, and the entire 1Password application crashes. This hasppens each and every time, and also on 2 other Macs that I have 1Password installed on.

I checked Security & Privacy settings on my Mac, and even tried giving 1Password full disk access, but nothing seems to work.

I'm running macOS Catalina 10.15.2, Firefox 72.0.2 and 1Password 7.4.1.

Here's a snippet of the crash report:
rocess: 1Password 7 [95459]
Path: /Applications/1Password 7.app/Contents/MacOS/1Password 7
Identifier: com.agilebits.onepassword7
Version: 7.4.1 (70401002)
Code Type: X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process: ??? [1]
Responsible: 1Password 7 [95459]
User ID: 501

Date/Time: 2020-01-28 09:56:25.800 -0400
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.15.2 (19C57)
Report Version: 12
Anonymous UUID: F09B032C-C88A-3A83-2595-AA9FC877C44F

Time Awake Since Boot: 2700000 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type: EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000
Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Application Specific Information:
abort() called

1Password Version: 7.4.1
Extension Version: 1.17.0
OS Version: macOS 10.15.2
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @cpedro

I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing crashes with 1Password for Mac. This bit is odd:

When I click on 'open and fill' from the app, a Finder Application chooser windows opens up and says "In order to continue with your go and fill operation, pick Firefox.app below."

That shouldn't be happening, and leads me to believe there may be a problem with the default browser setting on your computer. Could you please open the System Preferences app and navigate to General > Default web browser? What is selected there? Could you please provide a screenshot?

▷ How to take a screenshot

Please let me know.

Ben

• cpedro
    cpedro
    Community Member
    Options

Sure, it's set to Firefox.app (72.0.2) see screenshot:

• Ben
    Options

Thanks @cpedro. As a troubleshooting step can you please try setting that to Safari, and see if that makes a difference?

Ben

• cpedro
    cpedro
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the help. Changing it to Safari and clicking open and fill now opens Safari and takes me to the website, but switching it back to Firefox results in the same issue with having to select Firefox and then a crash.

• Ben
    Options

@cpedro,

Are both Firefox and 1Password in the root /Applications folder? If they are not, they need to be. :) If they are both currently in the correct spot then I think we need to take a look under the hood to see what is going on. I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/545095/#Comment_545095
    • Your forum username: cpedro

That way I can "connect the dots" when I see your diagnostics in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here so I can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once I see the diagnostics I'll be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

Ben

• cpedro
    cpedro
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the help. Yes, they are both in the /Applications directory. I've sent off a report as requested.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for the update @cpedro!

Can you please post the ticket number (Support ID number) you received so we can locate your message and get back to you as soon as possible.

Looking forward to your message!

• cpedro
    cpedro
    Community Member
    Options

Support ID #FWK-49293-878. Thanks!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you @cpedro! We have received your email and we will get back to you over there as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience!

ref: FWK-49293-878

• cpedro
    cpedro
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for Support for jumping on this quickly. I was actually able to resolve it last night after bouncing a few things off them via email. It looks like it was an issue with Firefox itself and not specifically 1Password. If anyone else is having this issue, here's what I had to do to fix it on all 3 computers I was having issues with.

In summary, I had to uninstall Firefox, reboot and then reinstall after the reboot. Just a reboot alone didn't work. And just the uninstall-reinstall without a reboot didn't work. Even if I rebooted, then reinstalled without opening Firefox first.

Here are details on what I did.
    1. Uninstall Firefox (Just need to delete Firefox.app from /Applications folder).
    2. Reboot
    3. Download and reinstall Firefox.
    4. Check to make sure Firefox is the default browser in  -> System Preferences -> General.
    5. Open 1Password app and click Open and fill, and it works!

There's obviously something weird going on between Firefox and the Mac, maybe SMC related to an older version of Firefox I had that got cleared after an uninstall and reboot. Either way, it's working now.

Thanks again to Support for the quick assistance, and I hope this helps anyone else with issues.

• @cpedro

Thanks for posting those details, it may indeed help someone in the future. :+1: :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.