Any way to delete duplicate entries?

bwalls
bwalls
Community Member

I did a free trial of 1Password 7 individual account a while back. I didn't like it much, so stayed on 1Password 6.

However, with Safari 13, the option ended. So I created a family account.

I started out on my work computer. It found a vault, which I assumed was my old 1Password 7 account, so I added the more-current 1Password 6 vault. This resulted in ~1000 duplicates. I was able to delete the duplicates, because they were tagged as 1Password 6 imports.

Then I added my iPad, and my iPhone. Each of them imported another 1000 duplicates, all with no handy tag! Plus, each is showing my old frozen 1Password 7 individual account. Really, really ugly.

So I'm back up to three (or four) of everything, with a home machine, and all my wife's devices (although I realize hers will be duplicating in her own account).

What's the right way to upgrade, and is there any assistance in deleting all the duplicates?

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 13.1, iPadOS 13.1, macOS 10.14.6, Safari 13.01
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @bwalls!

Is there a reason why you are keeping your old frozen account in these apps? I would like to make sure I understand your configuration before giving you some suggestions :)

• bwalls
    bwalls
    Community Member

The frozen account is only showing up on my iPhone app. I don’t need it, but don’t see any way to delete it. I do see that I don’t have to open it, so I did that; that is, I set it to alway’s open My Family rather than My Personal.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@bwalls:

If you open 1Password on your iPhone and tap on Settings > 1Password Accounts, you see two accounts there, correct? If you don't need the frozen one, you can tap on it in that list and then choose Sign Out if you scroll a bit :)

• bwalls
    bwalls
    Community Member

"Sign Out" is greyed out on the frozen account. I may try going in through the Web and seeing if I can delete it. I still have the Master Password somewhere.

• bwalls
    bwalls
    Community Member

Ah, I think I got that to work. Thanks.

I still ended up with three copies of everything in my new family Private vault, about 1000 from each. Is there any way to find duplicates? Or should I just delete everything, and recreate from my old local vault?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@bwalls:

There is a tool to remove duplicates inside the 1Password app (once you have 1Password open, you can click on the Help menu in the menu bar > Tools > Clean Up Duplicate Items), so you could give that a try first.

Should that not manage to find all of the duplicates, you can always delete the contents of the vault and move items again from your existing vault once again.

• bwalls
    bwalls
    Community Member

Wow, never would have found that. Thanks! Very unusual on Mac to find items that actually do an action under the Help menu – it's normally all documentation and information. Got me down to 1300 or so total, much more manageable.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are welcome @bwalls! I am glad to hear this :)

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• soundanswer
    soundanswer
    Community Member

I have now what seems to be 2-4 duplicates of almost everything in my vault. Trying to move to the "1Password Subscription" - the "Clean up duplicate items" is greyed out for me. Any reason why this would be?

• Hi @soundanswer

Do you have multiple vaults? The Primary vault should be deleted:

https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/#set-up-your-other-devices

Ben

• soundanswer
    soundanswer
    Community Member

I did the move and delete from my iPad, so now I went from having ~698 items in my 1password count vault to having over 1300. It looks like if i do the same move and delete as recommended from the migration assistant I'll add another 700, giving me 2000 items.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited October 2019

If the items already exist in the Personal vault there is no need to move them again (and say you say, doing so will only create duplicates). Instead, just delete the Primary vault.

Ben

• soundanswer
    soundanswer
    Community Member

Yeah. But when I did the initial move to the membership the app defaulted to the primary vault so, so logins made on device didn't sync. So anyway. Duplicates. Or lose a few logins here and there.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited October 2019

Once you only have a single vault, or if you switch to the Personal vault, you should be able to use the "clean up duplicate items" menu. :+1: The option isn't available while in the "All Vaults" view.

Ben

• robbecom8888
    robbecom8888
    Community Member

"There is a tool to remove duplicates inside the 1Password app (once you have 1Password open, you can click on the Help menu in the menu bar > Tools > Clean Up Duplicate Items), so you could give that a try first."

Once again, information on the forums does not actually exist in real life -- 1Passwords "support by throwing your question out to be crowd-sourced" is truly irritating. Under "Help-->Tools", there is no "Clean Up Duplicate Items" entry. The only choice is "Optimize database."

• robbecom8888
    robbecom8888
    Community Member

...and of course, actually clicking on "Optimize Database" does absolutely nothing. No disk whirring, no entries changing....absolutely zero.

• @robbecom8888

The answers here that have "1Password Team Member" to the right of them are provided by 1Password staff, rather than being crowd-sourced. We also offer one-on-one support via email if you prefer, though we do ask that you choose one or the other for any given issue.

What version of 1Password do you have installed? The option mentioned is a 1Password 7 for Mac feature. If you are on v7, you may need to switch from All Vaults to a specific vault for the option to be available to you. If the problem is that you have both a Primary vault and a Personal vault and that is what is causing duplicates to appear, then the Primary vault needs to be deleted.

Ben

• robbecom8888
    robbecom8888
    Community Member

So the functionality is only available for Mac, not Windows? What is the “Optimize Vault” feature supposed to do? Clicking that does nothing visible.

• It doesn't do anything that's like to be visible, @robbecom8888. What happens under the hood is that 1Password cleans up things in your local database like conflict files or old metadata. The idea is that if you're finding 1Password is running really slow, this can sometimes speed things up by reducing the size of that database to only what's needed. It doesn't presently give any feedback about when it's done, but it'll let you know when it finishes up in the next update. :+1:

Cleaning up duplicates is only available in 1Password for Mac right now, but we do hope to expand this feature to other platforms down the road.

• freemorfeem
    freemorfeem
    Community Member
    edited May 2020

Being able to delete duplicates in Win10 is a necessity.

Also, we need an offline back up that can be restored.

I just switched from Mac to PC. My radar is on for other services after a decade of using 1 PASSWORD. My bias is to stay... ;)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the feedback @freemorfeem! :+1: We will do our best to make you stay then ;)

• freemorfeem
    freemorfeem
    Community Member

awesome!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

:)

• smith9
    smith9
    Community Member

when I moved to 1Password for families, I had a couple of vaults. Now I seem to have duplicates of the vaults in the cloud and on my iPhone. How do I get to the position where I have only one copy of each entry?
    I don't want to delete a vault on my phone if I don't know if the entries are in the cloud - how do I achieve this on my iPhone (Or windows 10 Desktop)?

Thanks
    David

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@smith9:

Do you still have the old Primary vault on your devices? This would explain why you are seeing the duplicates.

• smith9
    smith9
    Community Member
    edited May 2020

Yes I do, but not sure how to tell if all the passwords from vault on phone are also in cloud so that I can safely delete the local vault

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@smith9:

If you simply moved all your items to your 1Password account, and did not touch the old Primary vault anymore, you are good to go already. If you continued using both vaults for a while instead, I would suggest sorting your items for example by "Date Modified", so all the latest changes show at the top of the list. This will make it easier for you to see if there are items in the old vault that were changed after the migration.

• temporary
    temporary
    Community Member

So I have to login on a Mac to delete duplicates?

• Currently 1Password for Mac is the only app that has an automated function related to duplicate items, yes, and that will only find exact duplicates. Otherwise Ana's suggestion just above may be helpful.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.