Master password not accepted on 1password Windows 7.3.712

I've just opened a new personal 1Password account and can sign into it reliably from IOS, Mac OS and Firefox on any platform. Unable to login to Windows app despite copy / paste of password that works in browser on same computer.

Previously (months ago) had used a different installation of 1Password on this same Windows laptop for my job, but I have since deleted that installation and have also restarted the laptop before reinstalling 1Password.

Any ideas on how to get this basic functionality to be reliable?

Thanks -

Dave

1Password Version: 7.3.712
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 7
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Uninstalling doesn't clear old data, @ddegraff, so it's probably still there. If you're being prompted only for your Master Password when opening 1Password on your PC, double check that you can see all of your data either on 1Password.com or on another device. If you can, follow these instructions to start over:

https://support.1password.com/starting-over/?windows

Next, open 1Password again, select "sign in to 1Password.com" on the Welcome screen and you should be prompted for your email, sign-in address, Secret Key and Master Password. Enter all of it, sign in, and you should be set. :+1:

• ddegraff
    ddegraff
    Community Member

Thanks for the quick response. I'm concerned that following the steps that article would lead to losing the data I've put into the new vault. The article description states "Resetting 1Password will delete your vaults, items, and settings. Before you start over, you can try to resolve some issues you may be having. Learn what to do if:"

The article also seems to not apply since I can sign into 1password.com.

If there are local files on my Windows laptop that are causing this login problem, the 1Password installer / uninstaller should deal with those. And if it doesn't, please let me know what files need to be deleted locally. If this is not a local issue, then the cloud-based setup should be fixed.. I see reports of this going back years...

• This is a local issue which is what that article is covering, @ddegraff – it removes your local database held by your desktop app. It doesn't impact 1Password.com in any way. As I said before, that local database isn't cleaned up by uninstalling. It's a bit of paranoia, but folks uninstall and reinstall for various reasons and they can sometimes do so when there are offline changes in their desktop app. If we cleaned up that database, those changes would be lost so we elected to have it persist through an uninstall to protect from that possible data loss. If you have access to 1Password.com and are able to see all of your data there, it's safe. Following that guide will not remove anything you see there.

• ddegraff
    ddegraff
    Community Member

That worked - thanks! Apologies for the misunderstanding.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ddegraff,

On behalf of Kate you are very welcome! :) We are glad to hear you are all set now.

Please let us know if you have any other questions, we are always happy to help.

Cheers,
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.