Family Members under 18

veggiegrrl
veggiegrrl
Community Member

I am trying to set up my son's account. He is only 14. When we go to the App Store on his iPhone, he is not able to download the app because it is rated 17+. I have Ask to Buy set up, but it will not even let him request the app. I can't find a way to turn off age restrictions for the app store. We have Purchase Sharing on, but he's also not able to download it that way.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @veggiegrrl! Welcome to the forum!

If you have age restrictions enabled, you will not be able to do this I am afraid. This is because of the built-in browser in the 1Password app, and Apple's rules. You can read more about age restrictions in 1Password here. From that post:

One solution you might consider is disabling age restrictions but using the Family Sharing features so that your children have to have any apps they install approved by a parent.

Since you already have Ask to Buy enabled, perhaps this is a solution that could work for you.

• veggiegrrl
    veggiegrrl
    Community Member

It seems like this is a problem for a lot of people. Could you release a kids version of the app that does not include the browser so it could be rated for a lower age?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@veggiegrrl:

I can definitely pass your suggestion to the development team. I don't think this is the route we will choose to follow though, as we prefer to focus on one single app, so I don't want to give you false hopes. Thank you for the suggestion however! Ideally, Apple's age restrictions rules will change so this additional effort won't be necessary.

• veggiegrrl
    veggiegrrl
    Community Member

It seems like Apple’s age restrictions are tightening rather than getting looser. I don’t have age restrictions turned on, but due to the birthdate on my son’s iCloud account (which is required), some apps are not available to him.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@veggiegrrl: Indeed, these are the rules at the moment I am afraid. Hopefully something will change in the future that will allow us to keep offering 1Browser inside 1Password without having some users left out by the App Store policies.

This discussion has been closed.