1Password 7.4 for Windows Beta 2 is here! [Released on 2020-02-04]

2»

Comments

• AOS
    AOS
    Community Member
    edited February 2020

Thanks for this release, it seems to have fixed the proxy issues I was having in my corporate environment :)

Just two things I noticed:

• Search doesn't seem to be working correctly (or at least, as good as before). For example, If I input an username I have in an entry, it doesn't find it as expected. I can replicate this on different entries. Example:

Entry 1: username=DOMAIN\USERNAME1
    Entry 2: username=DOMAIN\USERNAME2

Search for: DOMAIN -> shows both entries
    Search for: DOMAIN\ -> shows only entry 1
    Search for: USERNAME1 -> shows only entry 1
    Search for: USERNAME2 -> shows no results

• This is more an interface thing: when locking, it gets minimized to tray. I liked it more when the window was kept opened (but asking for password). As I usually work using the full interface, the previous behaviour saved me some clicks during the day.
  • Hi @AOS,

That's great to hear, thanks for testing this for us.

This is more an interface thing: when locking, it gets minimized to tray.

This is intentional due to the new way 1Password works starting with 1Password 7.4 release.

When it locks, it kills everything and spin off a new process; this means all windows have to be closed and removed. When it created the new process, it defaulted to minimizing to system tray because you didn't invoke it, like rebooting a PC.

There's also an issue where if you have Windows Hello enabled and you leave it on for a long time, Windows just cause it to stop working completely.

There are a few other technical reasons we don't do this anymore but we may revisit this as we continue to improve 1Password.

Search doesn't seem to be working correctly (or at least, as good as before). For example, If I input an username I have in an entry, it doesn't find it as expected.

Hmm, that is very odd:

For USERNAME2, I am seeing the right result:

For DOMAIN\, I see two results:

Even for \USERNAME, it shows two results:

So, that rules out \ as potential issue.

Are you seeing any other inconsistencies?

• sniem
    sniem
    Community Member
    edited February 2020

Impressive list of much appreciated updates and improvements. Congrats!

Some observations:

1. I updated manually from stable to beta: I downloaded the beta file and installed it (say, I didn't switch from stable to beta channel of looked for updates). According to the release notes
      "If you download the beta version of 1Password, it'll enable the beta update option for you and visa versa for the stable version."
      When I go to the settings, it sill says I'd be on stable channel:

2. New behaviour (or a bug): When I manually lock the app (Win-Shift-L) 1Pw now automatically minimizes to the taskbar. That's new and I would like you to make this optional - I cannot find a way to change this back to the old behaviour.

3. It's still not possible to manually sort the of categories or tags. Please add that.

• sniem
    sniem
    Community Member

Also there are some German localizations that should be improved. How to report those?

• Hi @sniem,

"If you download the beta version of 1Password, it'll enable the beta update option for you and visa versa for the stable version."

Just to be clear, you've downloaded the beta installer from our website and it launched without the beta channel enabled?

New behaviour (or a bug): When I manually lock the app (Win-Shift-L) 1Pw now automatically minimizes to the taskbar. That's new and I would like you to make this optional - I cannot find a way to change this back to the old behaviour.

Not a bug; this is intentional. When you lock 1Password, it terminates everything and starts a new instance, which goes into the default state which is minimized, which we chose because you're done using 1Password at this point or you didn't ask to unlock yet.

Another thing is that 1Password lock and mini views also has a new behavior, if it defocuses, it will disappear, which is intentional now.

So, locking 1Password and showing 1Password lock view that disappears when you work in something else, it is going to disappear anyway.

We do not plan to change this behavior.

It's still not possible to manually sort the of categories or tags. Please add that.

There is no plan to let you sort the sidebar, it will remain as fixed as consistent with all 1Password apps.

Sorting the item list is a different story though, we will add additional sorting options in future updates.

Also there are some German localizations that should be improved. How to report those?

Same as everything else, report it here, let us know where the issue is and we'll check with the translation team to see what's going on.

For beta builds, the translations will lag behind a bit though. We do have many translation updates that haven't made it into beta 1, so it'll be included in the next beta update.

• sniem
    sniem
    Community Member

Just to be clear, you've downloaded the beta installer from our website and it launched without the beta channel enabled?

Exactly.

So, locking 1Password and showing 1Password lock view that disappears when you work in something else, it is going to disappear anyway.
    We do not plan to change this behavior.

:(

For beta builds, the translations will lag behind a bit though. We do have many translation updates that haven't made it into beta 1, so it'll be included in the next beta update.

Okay, so I'll wait until the next release to avoid reports of stuff that's already on the list.

• AOS
    AOS
    Community Member

@MikeT I created a new "USERNAME2" entry with exactly the same details from the non-working one and now it finds it as expected.

I have other old entries that aren't working, the most common issue is searching for username for example.

Seeing that creating a new entry fixes this, to me it seems like a bug with already existing database entries (some of them). Maybe some database optimization missing?

I did uninstall, delete database folder and reinstall. Same behaviour.

• @AOS,

It shouldn't matter but if you edit and save the original items (without changing anything), does that appear to fix things?

• AOS
    AOS
    Community Member

Doesn't seem to do anything 🤔

• AOS
    AOS
    Community Member
    edited February 2020

@MikeT did one more test:

• Duplicate non working entry: same behavior, the duplicated one isn't searched correctly

• Create a new entry with same details: search works as expected

• Hi @AOS,

We'd like to talk to you about this in private to figure this quickly, can you email us at support+windows@agilebits.com. Also, in the email, include the link to this thread along with your forum username, so that we can connect the email to this thread.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can confirm we got the email.

• AOS
    AOS
    Community Member

@MikeT just dropped an email, forgot to include my username :|

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @AOS,

I found your email on our side. Let's continue our conversation there. :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

ref: AUX-17622-442

• Hi guys,

We just released 7.4.740 Beta 2 with bug fixes:

[IMPROVED] Improved our proxy auto-detection to validate and exclude empty URLs sent by certain router configurations. {OPW-4454}
    [IMPROVED] Updated translations from our awesome Crowdin translation team. {OPW-4445}
    [IMPROVED] Include the 1Password account name in certain sign-in error messages. {OPW-3266}
    [FIXED] Right-clicking the vault (or clicking "..." next to it) in the Vaults sidebar would crash the app. {OPW-4443}
    [FIXED] The diagnostics report tool was using incorrect version data for the version property. {OPW-4417}
    [FIXED] If the diagnostics report tool caught an error, it would halt and generate a 0-byte file instead of skipping over and generate the rest of the report. {OPW-4452}
    [FIXED] 1Password mini wouldn't show up correctly on certain monitor setups. {OPW-1903}

• kop48
    kop48
    Community Member

I really, really dislike the new behaviour of relaunching the process when locking the app - it makes it seem like the process crashed an re-launched, and isn't very elegant. I feel that it would be better if the process hosting the vault could terminate without killing the UX process (similar to what browser do with their brokers).

• sniem
    sniem
    Community Member

+1

• guysp
    guysp
    Community Member
    edited February 2020

I recently updated to the beta and noticed a ton of icons for all kinds of websites just disappeared. Is this a bug or some kind of feature? It seems like only the ones I manually setup persisted, but all the other automatically assigned icons are gone.

EDIT: Nevermind, I just updated to the latest BETA and the icons are back.

• Hi guys,

@guysp,

is this a bug or some kind of feature? It seems like only the ones I manually setup persisted, but all the other automatically assigned icons are gone.

We redesigned how Rich Icons work in 1Password 7.4, so when updating to this version for the first time, your Rich Icons cache will be reset and 1Password will pull in a fresh set of icons. It should only take a few seconds depending on your Login items count.

@kop48:

I really, really dislike the new behaviour of relaunching the process when locking the app - it makes it seem like the process crashed an re-launched, and isn't very elegant. I feel that it would be better if the process hosting the vault could terminate without killing the UX process (similar to what browser do with their brokers).

We don't either but there is no way around it for us right now; to clear the process memory quickly, you have to terminate the process completely. That's why it feels like it is crashing because technically, they're both terminated, just one is unexpected.

We didn't find a way to smoothly animate into a new window via a new process, we've investigated for a long time but it didn't get us anywhere. We'll keep looking though.

Separating data (while protecting it) from the UI and the rest is not as easy as it sounds, if the data process loads something into the UI process, that UI process will have its own copy even if the data process is terminated, which means you'd still have to terminate the UI process to lock it anyway. The trick is finding a way to remove its copy without terminating but then why do you need to terminate if you could do this for the main thread as well? There has to be a balance we need to strike, we could spend years figuring this way and only to have it proven ineffective.

That's why for now, we're doing this for 1Password 7.4; we'll continue to evolve this over time and hopefully find a better approach. We want better UX, that's what we're good at but in this case, security and platform architecture trumps the UX at the moment.

• kop48
    kop48
    Community Member

@MikeT totally understand that it's a hard problem, and I do appreciate the hard work that you guys put into this (which is why I choose 1Password over any other product!). There's definitely state of the art that exists demonstrating how this can be done, as evidenced by the Chrome multi-process architecture: https://www.chromium.org/developers/design-documents/multi-process-architecture. Hope that helps!

• AOS
    AOS
    Community Member
    edited February 2020

@MikeT maybe remembering the last app state before killing it would help? So if 1Password full window was open instead of minimized to tray, restart the process on that state... also maintaining window size & position.

• MikeT
    edited February 2020

Hi guys,

there's definitely state of the art that exists demonstrating how this can be done, as evidenced by the Chrome multi-process architecture:

Yea, if we have the same engineering team and the budget as they have, we'd knock it out years ago. These guys are freaking geniuses. We have our own geniuses but we're the size of 4-5 on the Windows engineering team now and hoping to grow more.

maybe remembering the last app state before killing it would help?

It's the first thing we did; it made it much worse because there's no way to easily "warm" the state, it loads as it render. Try it now, close the main window quickly with Alt + F4 and then open it right away with Control + Shift + \. The larger the window, the bigger the flash effect. It was actually giving me a migraine, which is why we're using the mini style instead and minimize by default.

• Hey folks, we've just shipped 7.4.741 Beta 3 update. Please go to the 1Password menu to find this update, it will not notify you without doing this first.

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/111063/1password-7-4-741-beta-3-for-windows-is-out-youll-need-to-manually-check-for-update/p1

This discussion has been closed.