Search passwords but ignore previously used

Options
bluesix
bluesix
Community Member
edited December 2019 in 1Password 7 for Windows

I'm trying to get rid of a certain password that's currently being used anywhere. When I search in the Windows app, the search results return the password if it was listed in the "previously used password". I don't want returned - I only want to see current instances returned. Is there a way to do this by specifying a flag?

1Password Version: 7.3.712
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:search previous

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @bluesix,

Sorry for the inconvenience!

Right now, Search in 1Password 7 for Windows includes all fields by default. We have plans to make search more customisable in the future, but right now we have a bigger fish to fry. We hope to post more news about this future update soon, so please stay tuned.

If you have other questions, feel free to raise them in a return email. Thank you! :+1:

++
    Greg

• WasRF_Now1P
    WasRF_Now1P
    Community Member
    Options

Hey Bluesix, you could export your 1Password info to a TXT or CSV file and then search on your password string. This clearly is neither an ideal, nor recommended process as it rather defeats the encryption of 1Password. So as soon as you're done with the file, make sure you totally scrub it from your drive (defrag or erasing all the text and re-saving the empty file will help but aren't necessarily 100% encompassing on their own). I'm sure others on here might be able to recommend better methods to ensure with total certainty that the unencrypted file is nowhere to be found.

• Hey @bluesix 👋

Since it sounds like you may have multiple login items within 1Password that could share the same password, you could always create a "dummy" login item in your Vault that contains the exact same password you're looking to weed out, and then manually run a Watchtower Scan.

If the password in the "dummy" login you create matches any of the passwords for your actual login items, then it should display itself as a Reused Password.

• bluesix
    bluesix
    Community Member
    edited February 2020
    Options

Hi Blake - no, it's not that. The Windows client searches the "Previously Used" field by default, and there's no way to turn it off.

I know because I used to use the same password for most accounts, and I don't any more, but when I run a search for that old password, all my old accounts are returned.

• Just for clarification, is Watchtower identifying previously used passwords as reused/active passwords in it's report when you run a manual scan?

This discussion has been closed.