Editing Web form details fields [Planned]

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@deviant: Thanks for checking out 1Password :) I don't have a way to test that at the moment. Could you please clarify what you're seeing? If it's simpler, take a screenshot of this. To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

Just be sure not to post anything sensitive, as this is a public forum. Thanks in advance!

• deviant
    deviant
    Community Member

@brenty
    I am able to easily auto fill this login page

And also the 2-factor

But, to get this third screen filled I have to create a second profile instead of it filling "mailbox-password" as a separate auto-fill item in the main identity. Storing the element on the main identity results in it filling out the original password again instead of the one with the specific element name.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@deviant: Thanks! I'd be interested to hear if creating a custom field in the item with any of the following names allows 1Password to fill there: mailboxPassword, mailbox-password, or Mailbox password. I haven't seen a login flow like this before, so I'm not sure any will work, but please let me know.

• deviant
    deviant
    Community Member

@brenty That was my first thought as well, When I tried that, I created them as password type fields, not sure if I should configure them as another type since they are auto filling later.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2019

@deviant: I would delete all of those at the bottom and try one at a time. You might not even need to set it as a password field. And I'll see if I can figure out how to set something like that up later in order to test this myself.

• deviant
    deviant
    Community Member

Thanks @brenty

I just tried them one at a time with them as Text and also Password types and it still would not auto-fill. ProtonMail does have a free account type if you wanted to test.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@deviant: Yeah, I was trying to figure out how to setup the "mailbox password" thing, as I'm not seeing that. Maybe that's limited to paid accounts...

• deviant
    deviant
    Community Member

@brenty it is a selection in Settings->Account->Login Password->Switch to Two Password Mode.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2019

@deviant: Ah, got it. That was confusing. Had to setup "Two Password Mode" in settings. :lol:

Unfortunately while I was able to easily reproduce what you're experiencing, I don't have a solution for you. I've collected additional information to bring it up with the team to see if something can be done in the future. But it's tricky because 1Password is intentionally a bit lenient when it comes to filling password fields that aren't named just "password" because otherwise it wouldn't be able to fill there in many cases -- for example if the field is called "login-password" or "account-password"...or "mailbox-password". But we'll look into it. Thank you for bringing this up!

In the mean time, having that saved in a separate field makes it easy to copy and paste all least.

ref: xplatform/filling-issues#577

• maximejobin
    maximejobin
    Community Member

I want to be able to fully edit each field: add, edit and delete.

I understand you don't "want" us to save a form we are filling when we subscribe to a service but I have good reasons to do so... like remembering what I've entered to login. Then, I edit the entry in 1Password later (if needed... rarely happens) when I login.

Deleting and recreating the full entry is a pain.

• As has been mentioned earlier in this thread, @maximejobin, we do plan to allow editing of web form details if they survive long term. That said, I'm not sure I follow your specific concern here. What you enter to log in isn't saved in the web form details – your username and password, the website URL, etc. are all part of your normal item details and are already editable. Is there a particular site where data is only saved in the web form details or something of that sort?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@maximejobin: It's not that we don't want you to save a Login on any page you want, it's that 1Password will fill best on the page it has information about, so you may want to save it in the place where you intend to use it for it to work more reliably filling there. It's totally your call though. If it's more important to you to have it saved for a signup form, I'm not going to tell you not to do that. :)

• iwex
    iwex
    Community Member

Any news regarding this isssue?

• No news we can share at the moment, it's not going to be improved in 1Password 7.4 for sure.

• jmQuik
    jmQuik
    Community Member

I realize that there is no new news that can be shared at this point. However, it's approaching 2 years that this back and forth has been going on. Clearly there is or was a demand for it, even if it's only among the "power" users. I have another example, I help manage another password vault (yes, I know that families exist and for reasons I don't want to get into, that is not an option). I had the 1Pass login information from that account saved to my personal account/vault. There was an issue that cause the additional account in question to need to be recreated. I updated the Secret Key in the entry on my personal vault however, the Web Form Details still contained the old Secret Key which, when attempting to autofill on the 1Password site, will still put the old Secret Key from the Web Form Details instead of the new Secret Key in the field that I edited. I understand that to you all this is a minor, edge case in the grand scheme of things. However, it's extraordinarily inconvenient, albeit simple to bypass, and it's a feature that was already implemented and then removed. I guess I'm really just trying to understand where on the priority list this feature return/request is and why it was removed to begin with. Seems like if it is/was already there, unless the non "power" users were complaining about it because of mis-edits (Could just be placed under the Advanced tab with a banner warning), there's no real reason to remove it. However, we "power" users are not the ones that make those decisions and therein lies the curiosity.

Thanks

• Hi @jmQuik,

Thanks for writing in.

and it's a feature that was already implemented and then removed

It was never implemented in 1Password 6/7, it's a clean codebase that shares nothing in common with previous older versions, it's an entirely different technology stack from the bottom up.

I updated the Secret Key in the entry on my personal vault however, the Web Form Details still contained the old Secret Key which, when attempting to autofill on the 1Password site, will still put the old Secret Key from the Web Form Details instead of the new Secret Key in the field that I edited.

That may be a bug with our filling algorithm. In your Login item with the Secret Key, is the custom field named Secret Key precisely? 1Password is supposed to prompt you to update the Login item when the Secret Key is different but it may not be doing it properly.

• BBBB
    BBBB
    Community Member

I've been giving 1Password a solid trial as a Family solution. I really want this to work out, however I keep running into many of the problems in the this thread. Coming from Roboform I find 1P's form capture/saving/filling to be severely lacking. Problems I am having with 1P now in 2020, I've never had with RF in 10 years. Fields not captured, fields mis/cross filled, unable to just SAVE ALL FIELDS.

I would like one of the top options for creating a new item to be SAVE ALL. Why do I need to decide if what I am saving is a Password, Bank Account, Database, or Outdoor Licence? JUST SAVE ALL THE INFORMATION and let me cull after. I read many forum replies from 1P stating that XYZ isn't a good idea because it would add an extra step or unnecessary complication. Why then ask the user to choose from 18 different formats to save in? For some people this is certainly an overwhelming choice.

Save it all, then help the user file the data in a sensible format or structure.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @BBBB, thank you for sharing your feedback regarding that!

If you have multiple fields that you want to save credentials for, please try to save such Login item manually using 1Password companion extension, as described in this article on our website:

How to save a Login manually in your browser

Moreover, if we are talking about filling the credentials for several fields, then other categories in 1Password do not apply. We have an internal discussion about categories right now, but I do not have anything to share at this point.

Please try to save a Login item manually and let me know how it works for you. Thanks! :+1:

++
    Greg

• AlexY
    AlexY
    Community Member
    edited November 2020

Just migrated from LastPass that offers this ability out of the box and was highly disappointed that 1Password lacks this.

Give people an option to add/edit custom web form fields like LastPass does.

Meanwhile, I'm migrating back.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @AlexY,

Indeed, it is not possible to edit web form details in 1Password 7 for Windows now (this feature is available in 1Password 7 for Mac only). We are looking at ways to bring it to all platforms, but I do not have anything to share at the moment. I am really sorry for this inconvenience.

If you tell us more about your use case and why this feature is crucial to you, it will be really helpful. Thank you! :+1:

++
    Greg

• jdstone
    jdstone
    Community Member

This would be very helpful in filling out forms such as the first two form input fields (location and account number) on this page:
    https://www.communitypsychiatry.com/make-a-payment/

as well as the input fields on this page. Unfortunately, you can't view the fields on this page unless you are a making a payment.
    https://d1.www.payjunction.com/trinity/quick-shop#/checkout?snapCheckout=true

I was able to temporarily get around this by creating a login and making some adjustments to the automatically created/saved fields, but it wasn't easy.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@jdstone:

Have you tried saving your Login item for such websites manually, using the instructions I shared above? Does this work for you this way?

Thanks! :+1:

++
    Greg

• jdstone
    jdstone
    Community Member

@Greg

Yes, I have saved a login manually, but that doesn't help with solving my problem.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@jdstone:

Can you please elaborate on what you mean by "that doesn't help"? I have just tried saving a login manually on that website using Greg's instructions, and I was able to then fill both of those fields as expected, so it should work for you too. What happens exactly after you followed those instructions?

• jdstone
    jdstone
    Community Member

@ag_ana Manually creating a login doesn't help with filling out these fields:

This would be very helpful in filling out forms such as the first two form input fields (location and account number) on this page:
    https://www.communitypsychiatry.com/make-a-payment/

• @jdstone

After testing things here on my end as well, I was also able to successfully manually create an item that fills on the website you mentioned without error, so it should work for you as well. Can you please double-check to make sure you're following the instructions Greg mentioned prior, exactly as they're written?

https://support.1password.com/save-login-manually/

• jdstone
    jdstone
    Community Member

Hi @Blake

So I went back to both websites and tried again and after playing with it for a bit, I noticed some things.

1. For the website https://www.communitypsychiatry.com/make-a-payment/, I was able to successfully use the login that I had created to enter the details automatically (see screenshot1.png).
    2. But for website https://d1.www.payjunction.com/trinity/quick-shop#/checkout?snapCheckout=true, I noticed two issues/observations. Issue/Observation 1: Neither "login" (screenshot1.png and screenshot2.png) show up on that page when I click in the First Name or Last Name text field. Now I realize this is probably due to the fact that First Name and Last Name are seen as an "Identity" or "Credit Card" entry in the eyes of 1Password. Would love to hear your thoughts on this. Issue/Observation 2: When clicking in the Email Address text field, choosing the login entry from screenshot1.png fills in all the fields correctly, except for "Email Address" (see screenshot3.png), where it fills in the "Customer ID" -- this is probably because login entry from screenshot1.png contains the "Customer ID" in the username field. Please provide your thoughts/confirm my hypothesis. On the other hand, when clicking in the Email Address text field, choosing the login entry from screenshot2.png fills in all the fields correctly (see screenshot4.png) -- this is probably because the login entry from screenshot2.png contains the "email address" in the username field. Again, please provide your thoughts/confirm my hypothesis.

Thank you.

• Blake
    edited January 2021

Apologies for delayed reply @jdstone

The screenshots you mentioned didn't seem to attach inline as it seems you originally intended for it to, could you edit your reply to see if we can get those added in there?

I am super glad to hear your manually-created login ended up working properly for https://www.communitypsychiatry.com/make-a-payment/, though!

In regards to what you're seeing with https://d1.www.payjunction.com/trinity/quick-shop#/checkout?snapCheckout=true -- visiting that link returns an "Invalid Shop" page which prevents me from being able to test to see the same results you're seeing.

Would you be able to grab the page HTML for me so I can take a look and see if I can figure out what's going on?

In Chrome, right click somewhere on the page and choose "Save As...". Change the format to "Webpage, HTML Only", and then you can copy the HTML from the file it creates into a post here for us to take a look at :smile:.

(If you'd rather not post the page publicly, you can send us the file in an email to support+extensions@1password.com along with a link to this forum post.)

• jdstone
    jdstone
    Community Member

I attached them via the "Attach a file" dropdown, not via the "Insert an image". Let me try again.

This discussion has been closed.