New Siteground user area login won't work with 1Password X in Firefox

Siteground have just changed their user area login screen (ie not email login but main account/user area login) ,and when I go to login to my account (which I do all the time from within Firefox on Linux and it works), it autofills properly but I get an error "Provided password is incorrect", meaning that it is not recognising my password. When I copy and paste the password from 1Password X into the password field on the form manually, it works, and recognises my password and I'm logged in.
I've updated my Firefox version and cleared my cache/cookies etc, but it still happens.
I'm hoping this is a really easy thing to fix... Thanks

FF version 69.0.1

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 1.16.2
OS Version: Debian Stretch
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @AngeP!

Can you please let us know the URL this is happening with so we can test it?

Thank you!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@AngeP: I don't know what this is, and apparently can neither sign up for a real account or test it with a fake one, and therefore can't get to the password step at all. Do you maybe have a password that is too long to be allowed by their login form? Does pasting the password work, and do you notice a difference in length as opposed to when 1Password fills it?

• AngeP
    AngeP
    Community Member

Hi, thanks, I think you need to have a Siteground hosting account to be able to log in. This is the login that takes you to your site's admin tools etc.

Yes pasting the password in manually works.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@AngeP: Got it. Thanks for confirming! But is there a difference in length depending on whether you have 1Password fill the password or paste/enter it yourself?

• AngeP
    AngeP
    Community Member

I don't know, I can't tell. It's the same password, 20 char random generated. If I autofill it, I can only see a small number of the chars (like about 10 dots), and when I click into the password form field and move my cursor along the hidden password, the password actually disappears and the password field goes blank. If I manually copy and paste the password, again I can only see a small number of the chars, and when I click into the password form field and move my cursor, the password remains there, however moving the cursor to the right does not take me to the very end of the field, so I can't tell how many chars.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@AngeP: Thanks for getting back to me! Usually will take you to the end of the field, and then you can count each character as you delete them to see how many there are in total in each case. Sorry, I know that's annoying, but I don't have a way of doing that annoying stuff for you myself or I would. :)

However, if the password "disappears" when you interact with it, that sounds like the site is messing with the input when you actually interact with it. A colleague just independently found that another user has emailed us about this, and I'll see if I can get some more details from them too.

ref: DZH-64139-724

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@AngeP: Looking into this more, between multiple reports, it appears that this may just be a case of the website clearing/rejecting anything 1Password enters and requiring the user to do so, rather than a length issue. That seems to match your earlier comments:

When I copy and paste the password from 1Password X into the password field on the form manually, it works, and recognises my password and I'm logged in.

• AngeP
    AngeP
    Community Member

Entering it manually is 20 chars. With autofill the down arrow just clears the field again.

When I rang Siteground support about this originally I asked if anyone else had this problem that they had heard of, and they said no. This was several days ago though when it was very new. There's obviously more now...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Entering it manually is 20 chars. With autofill the down arrow just clears the field again.

@AngeP: Aha! That ties it all together nicely. Thank you for confirming. Indeed, while I can't examine the page myself to say for sure, it really seems that they're actively clearing that field if you interact with it after 1Password fills; therefore, it's submitting a blank password when you click "SIGN IN", and the login attempt fails with "Provided password is incorrect". I'll keep looking into it though to see if a workaround can be found.

• nskstone
    nskstone
    Community Member

Hello, I'm having the same problem as @AngeP. I can confirm all of the same information. I don't believe I've ever encountered this problem on any other site. For whatever reason, it clears the field as soon as ANY action is taken — that includes clicking submit or pressing return. Hope you are able to get this resolved. Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@nskstone: Sorry for the trouble. I think we may have found a workaround, to appear in the beta first, if you'd be willing to try that:

How to install 1Password X beta in Chrome

/cc @AngeP

• nskstone
    nskstone
    Community Member

Thank you @brenty. The 1Password X beta did fix the issue.

Will this fix be added to the companion app as well, or should I stick with X?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@nskstone: I would definitely stick with 1Password X for now, as I don't have a timeline for when the same changes will ship to the desktop apps. That should just be a matter of time though. Thanks for letting me know that helped!

• AngeP
    AngeP
    Community Member

Is the fix just for Chrome, do you have a solution for Firefox yet? thanks

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@AngeP: Thanks for asking! If you'd like to use the 1Password X beta in Firefox, you can get it here. Cheers! :)

• AngeP
    AngeP
    Community Member

Thanks

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

:+1: :)

• chellman
    chellman
    Community Member

I'm resurrecting this thread to mention that I see this same issue in Safari on macOS 10.14, so whenever this workaround arrives for the desktop apps, I'd love to see it. Meantime, I'm going to get after SiteGround to see if they'll fix it on their end, because this is silly.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@chellman:

There is no 1Password X browser extension for Safari yet, so unfortunately it is expected that you are seeing this in Safari with the companion browser extension. The fix only made it to 1Password X for now.

This discussion has been closed.