Standalone Vault?

I have been Google searching and poking around the 1Password app for roughly an hour searching for an answer to what should be an extremely simple question: Where is my vault kept on my local hard drive (Windows 10), and how do I move it to a different folder?

On a personal note, this has been an extremely frustrating process. Why can't I simply submit a support request from the 1 Password site itself? Why do I need to create a completely separate login to a completely separate website simply to ask for technical support for the program I'm paying for? Why does the "support" consist of crowd-sourcing questions by posting to a forum? I've been a 1Password user since the standalone vault days. Ever since you stopped supporting that functionality in favor of wringing more money from people with subscriptions, my experience with your produce has been extremely sub-par.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• robbecom8888
    robbecom8888
    Community Member

Adding to my dissatisfaction and frustration with this so-called "support-by-forum" process is the fact that outdated and inaccurate information abounds. The forum purports to have a solution by which a vault can be kept on a local folder and synced, which is more or less what I want (https://support.1password.com/local-folder/). However, the instructions for Windows are simply wrong. According to the website, I need to:

1. Open and unlock 1Password.
    2. Click All Vaults at the top of the sidebar or choose View > Show Vaults (Ctrl + D). If you have a different vault selected, you’ll see its name instead of All Vaults.
      _3. Click next to the name of the vault and choose “Enable sync”. _
      This option doesn't exist. When I click on the three dots next to the name of the vault, I get only two options: "Manage" and "Show in All Vaults" Clicking "Manage" takes me back to the 1Password website.

Your unintuitive product and erroneous unhelpful "help" system have resulted in me wasting an entire evening on what should have been a 2-minute process.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2020

Hi @robbecom8888,

I am sorry for the troubles and confusion that you have with 1Password on Windows. We had no intention to confuse you or waste your time, so please let me clarify this situation right now.

First of all, I would like to point out that our support forum is a separate entity where you can participate and communicate with other 1Password customers or 1Password staff. However, it is not the only way to get support – it is also possible to contact us from our support page and you do not have to create any accounts in order to do that. If you fill the form on that page, we will receive an email and get back to you in a timely manner.

Secondly, let me clarify the confusion that might be happening: the instructions that you found in our knowledge base explain how you can enable sync for a local vault in 1Password 7 for Windows. However, if you created a 1Password account and started using it in 1Password 7 for Windows, you won't find those options. The thing is that when you use 1Password account, your encrypted vaults are stored on our servers and you do not need to set up sync or move your vaults anywhere. All you need to do on a new device is to download 1Password app and sign in to your account. It is that simple.

The local database for 1Password 7 for Windows is stored in %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password\ on your PC, but this is not your vault and I would not recommend you to move it manually.

It seems that you use a 1Password account in 1Password 7 for Windows, so you do not have a local vault on your computer. Is there a particular reason why you want to move your vault? Please let us know if you have any difficulties with the app itself and we will be happy to help. Thank you! :+1:

++
    Greg

• DavidESr
    DavidESr
    Community Member
    edited February 2020

May I add to this thread? I am still on the fence about upgrading from 4.x to 7, I like 4 just the way it is for the most part. I also understand your need and desire for a consistent revenue stream but I am choked already with software subscriptions and I don't want to put my passwords on your servers. Period. Secure as they may be,_ I want to put them where I want to put them._

So, If I buy the so called stand alone version, Can I run it on all three of our office PCs? , 2 win 10 and a win 7, 2 iPhones and a kindle and store the passswords on dropbox like I am now?

I did install 7 - uninstalled it and I couldn't open my vaults after I re-installed 4 Maybe I did something wrong. It took me several days to fix it, and I have a shared vault that another user accesses with 7 and we are having problems opening the vault, I am assuming because we are not using the same version????

I have seen sooooo many questions about this new version 7 stand alone and you all could sure clear this up if you dedicated a full page to just the stand alone version with all information about it. Don't blame everybody else for being confused. Sorry, I don't mean to be rude, but you have and continue to cause the confusion and it will not stop until you dedicate a web page to purchase and fully explain how to use the stand alone version but in spite of so many questions about that version you seem to be resisting doing something as simple as that about it.
    _
    Now that I blew off, Please answer my question above._

Thank you very much!

• Hi @DavidESr

We're not advertising standalone licensing, so we're not going to spend the time to build a web page for it. :) 1Password.com membership is the way forward for 1Password.

So, If I buy the so called stand alone version, Can I run it on all three of our office PCs? , 2 win 10 and a win 7, 2 iPhones and a kindle and store the passswords on dropbox like I am now?

You'd need a separate license for each person who is using 1Password. Sharing data with other users via Dropbox is not supported, but you can sync standalone vaults in v7 with Dropbox. The only supported way of sharing data with others is via membership.

Ben

• DavidESr
    DavidESr
    Community Member
    edited February 2020

Thank you Ben, Sorry to hear that, I am done with One Password when 4 no longer works ... Your new model just is not for me,

I guess I am still "CONFUSED" So I cant' access from one pc to the other or my iPhone, Whats the point in having an iPhone app or cloud service then?

Do a forum search for word "CONFUSED" and see how many thousand times you are answering questions for CONFUSED users.

But I wish you all great success.

• Hey there @DavidESr

To attempt to try to clear up any confusion here -- standalone licenses are licensed per-user per-platform, so you can use it on every Windows Machine you own, but if you want to use 1Password on multiple platforms with a standalone license (for example on Windows, in addition to Mac), the other platforms require a separate purchase.

In addition, if it's someone else's machine, they'll need their own license.

With that being said, if you have a valid license for 1Password 7 for Windows, it can go on as many Windows Machines as you personally own or use.

Once you setup a standalone license version of 1Password 7 for Windows synced via Dropbox, you can access that standalone vault synced via Dropbox from the 1Password App on iOS or Android as well.

• DavidESr
    DavidESr
    Community Member

Blake you may have just "saved the day" or at least retained a customer. There are too many "seemingly" conflicting answers coming out of this forum regarding the stand alone version as is evidenced by the hundreds of questions from people who are as I said "Confused" about ver 7. In spite of what our good friend Ben has said, you folks need a page to fully explain ALL of your products.

In another post by one of your lady co-workers she asserted the standalone version would not be discontinued. If that is true, then I take exception to Ben's statement that

"We're not advertising standalone licensing, so we're not going to spend the time to build a web page for it. :) 1Password.com membership is the way forward for 1Password."

From a customer point of view, and no disrespect towards Ben, that is arrogant and dismissive. I have always said "Customer is King even if they are wrong" Product development in my view should be customer driven with the companies need to also consider their revenue stream . Not Take it or leave it.

So the confusion in part is, just what is true? If it is not going away why not spend the 10 minutes it would take to explain the product on a page for it instead of repeatedly answering the questions over and over in the forums?

Now regarding specifics of the Stand alone version..

.... "but if you want to use 1Password on multiple platforms with a standalone license (for example on Windows, in addition to Mac), the other platforms require a separate purchase."

That Makes perfect sense to me.. That you allow multiple installs of the same operating system is beyond what most software companies allow so that is "Kind" Thank you.

........"Once you setup a standalone license version of 1Password 7 for Windows synced via Dropbox, you can access that standalone vault synced via Dropbox from the 1Password App on iOS or Android as well."

And that is what I have been trying to find out, but answer I got was _NO you can't do that._   Maybe others in your company thought I was referring to something else..?

So for my final (hopefully) questions:

1.) So.. If I have the stand alone version 7 and I access a vault and add or delete an entry on one machine, I am assuming based on what you said that I will see the change on any of the others if the vault is synchronized via dropbox.??

2.) I can get updates for Version 7 until the next major release at which time I would have to either purchase another stand alone license or the subscription plan?

3.) Finally, If I purchase the subscription plan am I forced to use "Your Cloud Service" instead of drop box to synch?

Thank you !

• MikeT
    edited February 2020

Hi @DavidESr,

Note there is no specific version of 1Password 7 for standalone and 1Password memberships; it is the same program for both; the read-only mode in standalone vault is removed when you apply a license or if you sign in to your 1Password account, this also automatically removes the read-only mode including for standalone vaults.

1.) So.. If I have the stand alone version 7 and I access a vault and add or delete an entry on one machine, I am assuming based on what you said that I will see the change on any of the others if the vault is synchronized via dropbox.??

That is correct.

2.) I can get updates for Version 7 until the next major release at which time I would have to either purchase another stand alone license or the subscription plan?

That is correct, you are buying a license for the 1Password 7 for Windows version and its updates. It does not carry over to the next version; meaning you'd have to pay for an upgrade to include the next version.

3.) Finally, If I purchase the subscription plan am I forced to use "Your Cloud Service" instead of drop box to synch?

You can use both but you have to be signed in to your 1Password account in order to remove the read-only restrictions for the standalone vaults you host on Dropbox.

You can sign in and do nothing for your 1Password account while making changes to your Dropbox vaults.

This applies to any 1Password apps as well since 1Password.com memberships come with all 1Password apps included including all future updates and upgrades.

• DavidESr
    DavidESr
    Community Member

" You can use both but you have to be signed in to your 1Password account in order to remove the read-only restrictions for the standalone vaults you host on Dropbox "

Are you saying that with the subscription plan I cannot save new passwords to the vault unless I am logged into your site ?

• @DavidESr

Your account would essentially be what is licensing you to use the app, so you would have to have your account added to the app in order to avoid being in read-only mode. You don't have to be logged into the website, but you do have to be logged into the app.

Ben

• DavidESr
    DavidESr
    Community Member
    edited February 2020

So basically If I have no connection to your site, to be logged into the app as you say, Then the app would function read only which is basically all the same.

If I am not logged into the app via your web site, the app will operate read only ? Sorry but it sounds like spin to me Ben. {BG}

• If you're using a membership to license the apps then you have to be logged into your account within the apps, yes. I'm sorry I'm not following what is spin about this.

Ben

• DavidESr
    DavidESr
    Community Member

Thank you all for your explanations, All of you spent quite a bit of time clearing this up, I appreciate your patience in making it clear.

• All of which could have been avoided by putting it on a page on your site. ;-) -

Have a wonderful day!

• Thanks @DavidESr. Glad to hear it is clear now. If we can be of further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.