Does Mr C’s app work for this?

Options
Bdohrn
Bdohrn
Community Member

I have a LOT of stored unames and pws saved on the autofill part of my IPAD. Mr. C’s app was suggested by 1password support to help me move them over to 1pw. It doesn’t seem right, or if it is, I can’t figure out how to do it. Can you help?

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: ?
OS Version: 12.4.4
Sync Type: Icloud

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited February 2020
    Options

@Bdohrn

I presume you mean your iOS Safari passwords. If you have them saved in iCloud via iCloud Keychain, then it is usually possible to use the GetSafari12Passwords script to help retrieve these on an iCloud Keychain sync'd macOS desktop system.

Can you confirm my assumptions are correct?

• Bdohrn
    Bdohrn
    Community Member
    Options

My settings have Icloud keychain turned on, so I presume you are right. Can you direct me to the GETSafari12passwords script and how to run it ?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited February 2020
    Options

@Bdohrn ,

OK, good.

The ConvertSafariPasswords AppleScript is part of the converter suite. Follow the directions there.

Also, at the download location, there is a video that shows how it is used. Look for ConvertSafariPasswords.mp4 under under Extra Help > Videos area.

You will need to tell macOS to give permission to the script in System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy > Accessibility:

Once the script has extracted your passwords from Safari, it leaves them in a CSV file on your desktop. Use the csv converter in the converter suite to convert that into a 1PIF file which you can import into 1Password.

• Bdohrn
    Bdohrn
    Community Member
    Options

I am still confused about how/whether I do all that on my IPAD -- which is what I am trying to resolve. I don't seem to be able to run scripts like that on the Ipad.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited February 2020
    Options

@Bdohrn ,

Do this on your Desktop macOS system. Only the Desktop systems can access these, perform the extraction, then conversion, and this is where 1Password can import 1PIF files.

PS. I added a little more instruction to the post above, under the image.

• Bdohrn
    Bdohrn
    Community Member
    Options

I have a windows desktop and a MacBook Air. I assume I can do this on the latter just as well?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited February 2020
    Options

@Bdohrn ,

You can use the MacBook air. It must have iCloud Keychain enabled, so that your passwords are available to Safari there.

• Bdohrn
    Bdohrn
    Community Member
    Options

WOw. Lots of overlapping instructions. Will try and sort this out when I have a bit more time and let you know. Thanks for all the help.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@Bdohrn

Sorry about that.

Getting Safari passwords from macOS has become harder and harder each release, and each release I have to update / rewrite the AppleScript to help you obtain these, since Apple keeps breaking backwards compatibility. The updates to macOS / Safari have drastically changed the complexity of getting these passwords, and the new script doesn't fit into my documentation structure for the rest of the converter suite.

• Bdohrn
    Bdohrn
    Community Member
    edited February 2020
    Options

touched the trackpad by accident while the passwords were loading and I can't seem to get it back to work.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@Bdohrn ,

Quit Safari, and rerun the script. Let it open Safari for you.

• Bdohrn
    Bdohrn
    Community Member
    Options

By george Mr C I think I got it! I assume when it's in my password vault on the mac it will also be on my ipad. If so YIPPEE

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited February 2020
    Options

@Bdohrn ,

That's great news.

If you have syncing between your macOS and iOS 1Password vaults, then you should have the same contents in both places.

Enjoy 1Password!

• Bdohrn
    Bdohrn
    Community Member
    Options

Hi again. All worked well. Now I have another question: I have a close friend whom I am trying to sell on the idea of adopting Ipw. She is not tech savvy or patient. I will have to do a lot of setup for her. She has Ipad and Iphone, but otherwise is a PC user. Will I be able to move her keychain material over so that it is accessible form the IOS devices?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

I have no mechanism for moving an iCloud Keychain other than via macOS.

@Bdohrn .

What you could do is create a new user account for her on your Macbook, allow her to set it up, sync w/iCloud, and then use the conversion suite. When she's done, you can delete her user account on your Macbook.

• Bdohrn
    Bdohrn
    Community Member
    Options

THanks. Might try that!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for the update :+1: Let us know how it goes :)

This discussion has been closed.