Windows Hello overlaps password field in beta 7.4.741

spuch
spuch
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Since my update yesterday from latest stable version 7.3 to beta 7.4.741 I'm observing the following problem.
When 1PW is locked and I click the Firefox extension icon or the 1PW task icon in the windows task bar to open 1PW, the login screen from 1PW is show correctly but since Windows Hello is available and enabled on my Laptop, the Windows Hello authentication window is displayed {OPW-1788} . The problem with that is, when I'm working with my laptop connected to a docking station where the lid is closed, I'm not able to access the fingerprint reader. While Windows itself offers me automatically to log into my windows desktop using my password, Windows Hello called from 1PW forces me to use my (inaccessible) fingerprint reader every time (see screenshot "Scan your finger..."). I always have to cancel the Windows Hello authentication window in order to enter my 1PW Masterpassword which is really annoying.
If the laptop lid is open (e.g. within a meeting) using the fingerprint reader will not be a problem but for the docking station scenario there should be some kind of mechanism to avoid forcing the user to use the unusable reader. The same would of cause hold for some kind of face recognition if the camera is unavailable.

Kind regards
SPuch

1Password Version: 7.4.741
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• MikeT
    edited February 2020

Hi @spuch,

Thanks for reporting this.

You should definitely share that scenario with Microsoft to see if they can improve it for applications as well; it should default to your Windows PIN instead if it is docked or biometric is not accessible. You can share it via the Feedback hub and you can quickly open it via Windows Key + F.

The problem is, this is a Windows-level operation, we have no control over which option to use in Hello nor can we determine if it is docked or anything like that. We can only invoke it but at that point, it's out of our control for security reasons.

Is it not possible for you to click Weitere Optionen to use your Windows PIN option instead of typing in the long master password? It should remember your last used option over time.

I'll see if we can add the option to disable the automatic Windows Hello prompt in the settings, this may be easier for your scenario.

• spuch
    spuch
    Community Member

Thanks for your reply. At least the windows login screen remembers which option (password, PIN, fingerprint) I used the last time so that it not necessary to toggle each time.

Of cause it is possible to click "Weitere Optionen" but after that you have at least to do a second klick to select the PIN option (from task bar you may have to scroll down one further click in order to make that option visible, see screenshot) and after that you are able to enter the PIN with your keyboard. OK, it would also be possible to use TAB + ENTER + TAB + TAB + ENTER to do this on a keyboard instead of using the mouse but within that time I can also provide my long master password directly on the keyboard, becuase without Windows Hello the cursor is located directly in the 1PW master password field.

• Hi @spuch,

If you leave it at PIN, you should be able to use your biometric while it shows PIN by default. I had Hello at PIN and it went through when I used the fingerprint scanner.

• spuch
    spuch
    Community Member
    edited February 2020

Maybe this is different within localized Windows versions? In my case I start every time with the screenshot within the first posting even if I selected PIN via "Weitere Optionen" the last time. It doesn't show PIN as default...
    I just provided some feedback to Microsoft via the Feedback hub (with screenshots attached) but as long as I always have to work the long way to enter the PIN it is more comfortable to deactivate Windows Hello within 1PW and use the master password.

• I'm not sure but it takes a few tries before it shows PIN for me but it could be hardware-based too. I'm using a ThinkPad.

We'll look into disabling the automatic Hello prompt as an advanced option.

• spuch
    spuch
    Community Member
    edited February 2020

Obviously it is possible to change the default of windows Hello implicitly via the Windows Login screen. When I locked my screen and switched from password to PIN for unlocking the screen again, the Windows Hello screen which is provided through 1PW provides PIN as default.
    I'm using a ThinkPad (T480), too.

We'll look into disabling the automatic Hello prompt as an advanced option.

That would be great, so far it is only possible to disable Windows Hello completely in the 1PW Settings in the security tab.

• When I locked my screen and switched from password to PIN for unlocking the screen again, the Windows Hello screen which is provided through 1PW provides PIN as default.

In that scenario, you should still be able to use the fingerpint scanner to unlock it quickly without switching anything, that's why I've suggested it.

Facial ID won't work of course but this is the best of both world, let it default to PIN all the time and only use fingerprint when you can access it.

• Hi @spuch,

We've just shipped 1Password 7.4.747 Beta 4, you can now turn off the automatic Hello prompt on lock.

• spuch
    spuch
    Community Member

Hi @MikeT ,

thanks for pointing that out and implementing that option. I've just tested it and it works link intended. Only the translation / localisation of the string seems missing so far, at least in German the English string is shown.
    Should probably be something like "Windows Hello beim Sperren nicht automatisch aktivieren"

• @spuch, that's good to hear, thanks for confirming.

The translations will be done soon, it usually lags the new features by a few builds because the feature or the wording may still change. We'll let the translation team know about the new strings as soon as possible.

This discussion has been closed.